Can I rent your Trailer Valet TVXL 2.0 near NYC?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tinyhouse1331

Hi everyone,
I have a tiny house that is coming to Brooklyn and it would be ideal to park it tongue in the driveway. I'm looking at getting a heavy duty trailer valet or dolly like this one, https://www.trailervalet.com/xl/ but then I was wondering if any of you have this one or a heavy duty one like it that I could rent instead of purchasing? I could come pick it up and drop it off anywhere "near" NYC.

Thanks,
Bauer

I have done this several times and you do not necessarly need a power dolly.

What is the tongue weight of your trailer?

I do have a heavy duty trailer toad, however it is possible to move a trailer into a driveway by pushing it from the rear if you can support the tongue.

Find out the tongue weight and then simply build a wooden base and attach solid caster wheels under it with sufficient capacity to support the weight of the tongue.  If you line up the trailer with the tongue pointed in and carefully and slowly push it in you should not need to have a power dolly or even steer it much if lined up.

When I push my Stacker Trailer in like this I use a padded 2X4 across the rear of the trailer and secured the push vehicle, ( a Jeep in my case ) with a heavy strap to make sure that it does not move too much and that I have positive control of the movement.

This works best with a solid surface so that the castor wheels do not dig in.

Last year a fellow at the Islander resort wanted to park his trailer with the tongue in so he could get his toys out easily.  We did just what I described above.

Good Luck whatever you do and be safe doing it.

Welcome to the forum. Have you checked with the dealer. Maybe they have the right stuff to do it with.

HueyPilotVN said:
I have done this several times and you do not necessarly need a power dolly.

What is the tongue weight of your trailer?

I do have a heavy duty trailer toad, however it is possible to move a trailer into a driveway by pushing it from the rear if you can support the tongue.

Find out the tongue weight and then simply build a wooden base and attach solid caster wheels under it with sufficient capacity to support the weight of the tongue.  If you line up the trailer with the tongue pointed in and carefully and slowly push it in you should not need to have a power dolly or even steer it much if lined up.

When I push my Stacker Trailer in like this I use a padded 2X4 across the rear of the trailer and secured the push vehicle, ( a Jeep in my case ) with a heavy strap to make sure that it does not move too much and that I have positive control of the movement.

This works best with a solid surface so that the castor wheels do not dig in.

Last year a fellow at the Islander resort wanted to park his trailer with the tongue in so he could get his toys out easily.  We did just what I described above.

Good Luck whatever you do and be safe doing it.

I am very intrigued!
It's quite heavy, as in last time I weighed it it was 6,000 pounds and that was before the insulation or interior walls went up, although much of the interior wall's lumber was inside of it. I'm estimating it's about 8k now, but unfortunately it's not balanced well and the driver who is helping me move it said he'd guess there was up to 1,000 pounds on the tongue weight. Would that still be something we could push and break well?

Rene T said:
Welcome to the forum. Have you checked with the dealer. Maybe they have the right stuff to do it with.
I've been building it myself, so unfortunately I don't have one to go to. Although that's a good idea for dealers in general.

I usually recommend a farmer & tractor for a job like this but given your surroundings, maybe a nearby manufacturer, warehouse, etc. with a forklift or skid steer could do the job.

If the driveway fairly level you should be able to push it with the method described above. Make sure you have someone there to block wheels as you are moving it.

It is amazing how much a few people can move something on wheels. I have a sloped driveway and I have a manual trailer dolly. I can pull my trailer up the driveway with it. The trailer weighs about 2000#. I have to put my back into it but can move it up the hill. My wife is handy with the wheel chocks to block it.

If you have someway to put a solid post in the ground or attach it to you could use a come along to pull it into the drive way.

Here is what I'm talking about.

https://www.amazon.com/8000lb-Along-Hoist-Ratchet-Puller/dp/B077KHBN8P/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1518798843&sr=8-2-spons&keywords=come-along+winch&psc=1

With the wheel set up from above you could use this to pull it in.

Taylor Rental or a similar industrial equipment rental company is an option.  Home Depot and Lowes may have something you could rent as well.

Excellent suggestions!  Even with a 10,000 lb trailer, the weight is carried by the tires and tongue.  You do not need to lift 5 tons to move 5 tons!  Remember the pick up pulling the shuttle?  You could easily build a small platform from 2 x 6 lumber with 4 or 6 castors with a 250# each capacity to support the tongue.  Then either push (hold a "push the house" party?) or winch the unit into place.

Please let us know how you do it and how it works out!  PLEASE be SAFE

Here is an example of a castor wheel for about $20 that has a capacity of 600 pounds.

https://www.harborfreight.com/material-handling/casters-swivel/6-in-rubber-heavy-duty-swivel-caster-61651.html

Use four of them attached to a wood base for under $100.

Maybe have a depression in the top of the base to insure that the tongue does not slide off but with the weight it should not anyway.

To insure that you can push it in and control it to stop I would use a vehicle, (possibly the one that delivered it). and secure the push vehicle with a heavy ratchet strap so that there is no slack or movement.  You can protect the vehicle and trailer with padding between them.

If you use this procedure then you will have it for moving the trailer out of the driveway later.

Back
Top Bottom