App for That

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

white water

Do any of you use an app to notify you of overpass height restrictions, narrow roads, ect...

I found that unnecessary. I just stick to roads that semi trucks use and that is always safe. The only time height was ever a problem was trees that needed trimming in residential neighborhoods, and they don't show up on a GPS.

I was a feature on some of the Garmin GPS models but my TT is a bit over 9 feet. Plus the AC.

It has never been much of an issue except for trees in the campgrounds.

I have made the leap from a 5th wheel with a height of 11'-2" to one at 13'-5". Overpasses now have my full attention!

white water said:
I have made the leap from a 5th wheel with a height of 11'-2" to one at 13'-5". Overpasses now have my full attention!

I'm not sure if I would tow a 5vr at that height at least where they have overpasses. Did someone flip the axles and is the front sitting high because of the truck? All it would take is an overpass sign saying clearance is 13' 6" and they just got done resurfacing the road and adding 2" of hot top and someone for got to change the sign.

Stay in the middle lane when driving through Detriot and Chigaco they have old bridges that are curved and the outside lanes have lower clearances follow the truckers with the 53ft trailers

white water said:

The standard height for a van type semitrailer is 13'6" with 14' available west of the Mississippi.  So if you see commercial trucks travelling with you, you're good to go.

Likewise, anything below 15 ft. clearance is supposed to have a warning sign.

Go to a truck stop and get a copy of the Rand McNally Motor Carrier's Road Atlas.  It's the same as the Road Atlas sold in Wal-Mart stores, except the state maps highlight the National Network, roads that comply with federal standards for large truck traffic.  These will have adequate overhead clearances, if there are any exceptions they will be noted.

Back
Top Bottom