Cancelling thousand trails

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Gilex2 said:
I am wanting to cancel my thousand trails membership but they say I have to pay for I more years. I am very unhappy with the lack of quality and poor upkeep of their parks many of which don’t even offer sewer hookups. Is there anyone out there who has been successful in cancelling?
Un fortunately the essayist and probably the cheapest would just pay the final year (make shure it is the final year) and that you meet all the fine print requirements to cancel. Never trust them to do the right thing.
Bill

This is why I HATE contracts for almost anything, such as cell phone service, cable, etc. Anymore in my life as soon as I hear the "C" word mentioned my first instinct is to run...........

With all due respect to many on this thread, there is so much misinformation here regarding what TT is and is not, it does a disservice to anyone who might actually want to look into what they offer. If anyone want serious accurate information please feel free to message me.

While my membership renews annually, at my option, just like cell phone providers, cable providers, Cal Am, Colorado River Adventures, there may be contracts which obligate the customer for a longer period of time.

Bill and Debbie said:
With all due respect to many on this thread, there is so much misinformation here regarding what TT is and is not, it does a disservice to anyone who might actually want to look into what they offer. If anyone want serious accurate information please feel free to message me.

While my membership renews annually, at my option, just like cell phone providers, cable providers, Cal Am, Colorado River Adventures, there may be contracts which obligate the customer for a longer period of time.

Wouldn't it be more beneficial if folks asked their questions here so we can all benefit from your wisdom.

This is why I HATE contracts for almost anything, such as cell phone service, cable, etc. Anymore in my life as soon as I hear the "C" word mentioned my first instinct is to run...

A good instinct for any buyer, I think.  Among the very first self-questions ought to be "are the benefits enough to make a multi-year commitment?" and "what happens if my life situation changes?".    A 10 year contract commitment is a long, long time to forecast future wants & needs for what is essentially a discretionary expense.

The OP hasn't been back since they posted. It would be nice to know if they just bought a zone pass, and if so, did they make monthly payments, or if they bought another type of plan. The zone pass expires a year after it is purchased unless one makes monthly payments to TT, then it is automatically a two year deal. Says so in pretty plain language if one looks at TT's site. If they bought a used plan somewhere, that's a whole different story.

WILDEBILL308 said:
I have stayed at the Thousand Trails Las Vegas Resort. It took 3 different spots before I found one that had power. As far as location it is out by Sam?s Town and not to convenient to the strip. Staying over the limit there is $120.00 per night. (Market Price) Interesting because I stayed at Oasis for $67.00 for a premium + site. 

Wow, that must be some resort to command $120 a night "Market Price".  I wonder how they determined that, especially since there are  two or three perfectly nice non-affiliated RV parks about a mile north of there whose "Market Price" is in the range of $20 a night or less!

Since the OP has not returned (and probably won't) since he didn't get his quick solution for his problem. I am sure he wasn't looking to hear what a mistake he made.  But, I will throw in my story of time shares. 

While a very newbie RV'er, our first TT, we got a mailer offering 3 days free stay and some gift or other to come to a "RV paradise" for a seminar that would only take an hour or so of my time. We figured "what to we have to lose?", so we went.  We arrived on a Friday, and the seminar was on Saturday. 

It was a nice mountain resort, wooded and many campsites. It was somewhere in the San Bernardino mountains.  We sat through the seminar (sales pitch) and afterwards we were led out of the seminar to a room full of desks and "sales consultants."  I approached one guy and told him I was not interested, but he countered with "I have a 2 minute speel that I have to give you, then I get your gift and you are on your way".  So I sat down. 45 minutes later I was still there, getting mad as heck, while sales guy was getting more and more aggressive.  I finally stood up and  told him "I am walking out of here. Past you, or over you. Your choice".  I really thought for a minute he was going to take me on. We walked out through one door with an "associate" standing in front of it. When he looked at me and my  expression, he stepped aside.  We walked out, hooked up the TT and left immediately. 

The moral of the story is, I can see how someone may get "bullied" into a purchase  that they are not sure that they really want.  That was 20+ years ago, and I really don't remember if it was a TT park, or someone else. Since then I won't give a salesman a snowballs chance in Hades of selling me something that I don't want 100%.

There was a time when Chris used to fall for the "free gift if you attend our sales pitch". She eventually figured out they were merely high-pressure sales activities to sell timeshares or RV resort memberships, and the "gifts" were a piece of crap.

"... Past you, or over you. Your choice."  I really thought for a minute he was going to take me on.

That would not have been a wise choice on his part Marty  ;D

Some friends of ours from New Zealand moved to Mexico. They called us when we lived in Japan and asked if we wanted to go in with them on 10 acres on the beach. We did it and a few years later we went to Mexico to look at our land. We stayed in Xtapa for a few days before going down the coast. We were coming out of our hotel one morning and a white van stopped and the passenger asked if we wanted a free breakfast. All we had to do was look at some property. Being the suckers we are for free food we went. It was at the top of a bluff overlooking the bay. Really beautiful. We had a nice breakfast and tour. Then we got the spiel. I kept telling the guy I didn't want a timeshare but I would be interested in buying a unit. I told him the only problem was we had a house in the states that the buildier put liens against and was suing us for $100,000. He said for us to sit tight, he was getting his supervisor. The supervisor came out and said he understood we were dealing with a crooked builder in the States. I said yes that was why we couldn't do anything at the moment. The supervisor said he could have the builder taken care of. We asked what he meant by that. He said please do not ask. We left.

I have stayed at the Thousand Trails Las Vegas Resort. It took 3 different spots before I found one that had power. As far as location it is out by Sam?s Town and not to convenient to the strip. Staying over the limit there is $120.00 per night. (Market Price) Interesting because I stayed at Oasis for $67.00 for a premium + site. 

Anybody can book an RV site at the Thousand Trails Los Vegas RV Resort for $42/night. That's the rate right now, direct from the park website.

https://rvonthego.com/nevada/las-vegas-rv-resort/rates

Gary RV_Wizard said:
Anybody can book an RV site at the Thousand Trails Los Vegas RV Resort for $42/night. That's the rate right now, direct from the park website.

https://rvonthego.com/nevada/las-vegas-rv-resort/rates
All I can tell you is what was on the paper they gave me when I looked to extend past 7 days. I  was supose to be able to stay 14 days but they needed the room for some thing and cut my base stay to 7 days.
Why don't you go see if that is the actual price or if they invoke. The rates displayed do not include any applicable service fees or charges for optional incidentals.
I don't care if it was free I will not be staying with that bunch of crooks.
I would rather go to Oasis and pay full price for a supper premium spot.
Bill

Those extra TT site "resort fees" make me gag. How can it be legal to advertise a daily rate if you can't actually book a site for that price?  This sort of price skullduggery is becoming all-too-common these days, e.g. car dealers who charge a non-negotiable "dealer fee" in addition to the sales price.

TT has some rather draconian policies, which may be why their popularity is waning even though the basic pricing is attractive for some RV lifestyles.  ELS, which now owns TT, is moving away from the long term contract model in favor of annual subscriptions (the Zone Pass concept), but they too have fairly stringent policies in all their various properties, e.g. Elite Resorts.

My experience on (non-rv related) time share pressure sales:

I really wanted the gift this one time, so I decided to give it a whirl, even though I knew all about the high pressure sales.
So I did the video presentation thing, then went to sit down with the salesman. I immediately told him I'm not interested and just want the gift. He said he has only a twenty minute spiel to go through with me, and then I will get the gift. I confirmed with him if I listen for 20 minutes, I'll get the gift.
So I pulled out my phone, set a 20 minute countdown timer, and put it on his desk with the timer visible. Not aggressively, just visible on the desk next to my arm.
I then listened for twenty minutes. I didn't respond to any questions, just said, "no, I'm not interested" for every single question he asked. He started getting more and more angry.
Then the timer goes off, and as it goes off audibly, I immediately take my phone and stand up and ask for the gift. He wouldn't give it to me, I asked for the manager, and he grumbled and gave it to me.
I almost want to do another one of those, just to have fun with the salesmen. But it's definitely not for the faint hearted. They're crooks, pure and simple.

We had a TT Zone Pass given to us when we bought our current motor home. To renew the second year it cost us $295 and we got two zones. We sat through a sales pitch at TT Orlando and there was pressure, but not excessive pressure. We chose not to buy because the campgrounds quality was inconsistent. There were several we liked a lot, but many we didn?t like at all. We have a son in Las Vegas, so TT Las Vegas would have been great. Unfortunately as mentioned here TT Las Vegas is terrible. Extremely close together.

As to the time share sales pressure, many years ago my wife and I were in Las Vegas and attended a time share presentation for the Jockey Club. The gift was two tickets to see Siegfried and Roy at the Mirage. (at that time tickets were around a $100 each) When the presentation was over they took us into a separate room, we were expecting to be hammered with a high pressure sales pitch. We sat down exchanged pleasantries, then he asked if we were interested and we said no we were really here for the tickets. He said okay let?s go get them! We left thinking maybe we made a mistake and should have bought.  :)

Back
Top Bottom