Typing 101

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
As we all know the index finger can only hit one key at a time,.....so to speed things up I use the other hand to hit the space bar.

So much faster.... ;)

xrated said:
Sounds to me like all of y'all slow typers need some 3 phase 120 Hz powered keyboards.....that would make them type twice as fast!  :eek:

Not quite twice as fast, but 1.73 though.

kdbgoat said:
Not quite twice as fast, but 1.73 though.

Actually.....Twice as fast.  Increasing or decreasing the frequency (Hz) will increase or decrease the speed of an induction motor.....that is what Variable Frequency drives do.  There are only two ways to change the speed of an AC induction motor.
1.  Change the number of poles in the motor (go from 4 to 6 or something else)......mostly not practical!
2.  Change the Frequency of the applied voltage to the motor......very practical and accomplished with VFD drive.

Of course, this whole thing is about typewriters or keyboards.....not motors, but that is what the reference to speeding it up twice as fast was all about.

Chris, says I'm the fastest 1-finger typist she knows  :)

Oldgator73 said:
I type much faster when drinking wine. Does that mean wine is a good conductor of electricity.

Wine makes everything better... 

I remember back in the old days a bottle of Spanada made some of those bad movies at the drive-in into a very memorable night for me and my girlfriend.... 8)

[quote author=Oldgator736]if that finger is injured do you have to dictate to Chris?[/quote]

;D If I did, I'd need to talk fast; She's an extremely fast/accurate typist

Talk about fast typing....I remember my typing teacher in high school, Mrs. Dumont (1971) and on an electric typewriter, she could type 120 words a minute.  She could type even faster than my ex-wife could talk......impressive!  8)

I took typing in 1968, We had to be able to type 40 words per minute to pass ..  you didn't get credit for a misspelled word.

It'd been a lot easier if they had Spell-Check back then. 

We were also required to take a 'Basic Electrical' class,  We rewired a table lamp and built an AM radio,  plus they required us to take Wood or Machine shop.

They don't offer any of that anymore.  Here in CA  Industrial arts (and the military) are looked down upon by modern academia.

TonyDtorch said:
I took typing in 1968, We had to be able to type 40 words per minute to pass ..  you didn't get credit for a misspelled word.

It'd been a lot easier if they had Spell-Check back then. 

We were also required to take a 'Basic Electrical' class,  We rewired a table lamp and built an AM radio,  plus they required us to take Wood or Machine shop.

They don't teach any of that anymore.  Industrial arts are looked down upon in modern academia.

Tony.....yea, I learned on a manual typewriter and IIRC, I got up to  53 WPM and you were only allowed two or three mistakes for it to be a counted score.  I then had a one hour time slot that needed to be filled and instead of study hall, I chose to take another typing class.  This was one that was mostly girls that were wanting to be office assistants/secretaries/etc.  One of my buddies on our high school baseball team was in the same situation, so I suggested that we take a typing class.  He was like....are you nuts...why would I want to do that?  I told him that the class had 35 people in it, I made number 36, and he could be number 37 if he was smart.  Why, he asked.  I finally told him the truth.....it would me and you and 35 girls in the class.  He signed up and we had a great time in a class with 35 girls that semester.  Good times.

I did the vocational classes in high school.  3 hours a day, every day, junior AND senior year.  I knew that I wanted to be an Electrician when I got out of school and that vocational class provided me with a pretty extensive electrical background.....enough that it automatically allowed me to qualify to get on a list for potentially becoming a Journeyman Electrical Apprentice.  That happened in 1977, and I topped out at the end of 1980.

I guess I've gotten Waaaaay off topic here, but I haven't seen the O.P. back here for a few days.

xrated said:
Tony.....yea, I learned on a manual typewriter and IIRC, I got up to  53 WPM and you were only allowed two or three mistakes for it to be a counted score.  I then had a one hour time slot that needed to be filled and instead of study hall, I chose to take another typing class.  This was one that was mostly girls that were wanting to be office assistants/secretaries/etc.  One of my buddies on our high school baseball team was in the same situation, so I suggested that we take a typing class.  He was like....are you nuts...why would I want to do that?  I told him that the class had 35 people in it, I made number 36, and he could be number 37 if he was smart.  Why, he asked.  I finally told him the truth.....it would me and you and 35 girls in the class.  He signed up and we had a great time in a class with 35 girls that semester.  Good times.

I did the vocational classes in high school.  3 hours a day, every day, junior AND senior year.  I knew that I wanted to be an Electrician when I got out of school and that vocational class provided me with a pretty extensive electrical background.....enough that it automatically allowed me to qualify to get on a list for potentially becoming a Journeyman Electrical Apprentice.  That happened in 1977, and I topped out at the end of 1980.

I guess I've gotten Waaaaay off topic here, but I haven't seen the O.P. back here for a few days.

I also learned on a manual typewriter. That's why when I hit the keys on my keyboard, I hit them hard. Also I have a problem with white out all over my screen.  :eek: ::) ;D

Oldgator73 said:
We could start a new topic and call it Typing 101.

We could!  In fact, you could start it and hopefully it would be ready to ready by this time next week!  ;D

Sorry man, you left the door wide open on that one!  8)

Rene T said:
I also learned on a manual typewriter. That's why when I hit the keys on my keyboard, I hit them hard. Also I have a problem with white out all over my screen.  :eek: ::) ;D

You know, I really had not done any typing at all since I graduated from high school in 1972 and then I bought my first computer in 1999.  It was amazing to me how quickly my memory of the keyboard layout came back to me.  Id' say within the week, I was back to pretty much where I left off from 1972.....except I didn't have to hit the keys so hard.........and my bottle of white out had dried up by then!  ;D

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
skibumbob
Back
Top Bottom