Typing 101

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
[quote author=Oldgator73]We could start a new topic and call it Typing 101.[/quote]

Best to split the off-topic messages off into their own topic, which I've done here.

xrated said:
We could!  In fact, you could start it and hopefully it would be ready to ready by this time next week!  ;D

Sorry man, you left the door wide open on that one!  8)

I know! Many of posts don't make since the thread is locked before I can finish typing.

Oldgator73 said:
I know! Many of posts don't make since the thread is locked before I can finish typing.

That's because some people say things that other people don't like... 8)

( I hauled ass typing this.. ;D )

[quote author=Oldgator73]Many of posts don't make since the thread is locked before I can finish typing.[/quote]

Many  ???  We lock relatively few topics here. Oh, and we don't have threads; Haven't for the last 13 years.

[quote author=SeilerBird]You do have threads[/quote]

Nope. When you reply, you're replying to a topic, not to an individual message, which is a fundamental of threads.

They made me take a typing class in 8th grade, I hated it. I remember thinking "this is dumb. What would I ever need this skill for?"  OK, well  I have eaten those words a thousand times over.  In my previous profession I did thousands of type written investigations, and now with the internet and RV forums?? 

Yep, I owe my old typing teacher a beer for making me stick to it.

Tom said:
Nope. When you reply, you're replying to a topic, not to an individual message, which is a fundamental of threads.

Tom,
You're technically correct, of course, but to most folks the "topic" arrangement looks the same except for where the REPLY button is, and old habits die hard.

Oldgator73 said:
I'm so confused.

In the software and maintenance areas, "topics" vs "threads" are quite different, but to those of us using these boards, the big difference seems to be that the REPLY button in a "topic" board is for the entire chunk of posts, thus you have to "quote" to show which post you are replying to, while in a "thread" board there is an individual reply button on each post, and there is often (usually?) a reference to the post number that was replied to in each new posting.

Actually that's not the only difference to the user, but it's the most obvious means I can see to indicate the difference. So to Tom and the other administrators the difference is considerable, while to us it's a very minor thing that we don't usually think much about. It IS confusing.

With non-threaded discussions, it's not always obvious who someone is responding to, unless of course they use the Quote button; This sometimes leads to a misunderstanding. With threaded discussions there's no ambiguity. We had something of an outcry when we left a threaded environment 13 years ago, but folks eventually got used to replying to a topic and learned to use the Quote button when it mattered.

Thanks, but I wish I had $1 for every typing lesson I've read or watched over the years  :(

My mother was a secretary who typed 90 wpm and she insisted I take typing in my junior year. I loved the class. Almost all women. I am still a horrible typist but I am old and retired so I have good excuses for going slow. :))

Several years back my clever and handsome son took a 'Home Ec' class in high school.    He dated the majority of the girls in that class.

But the best thing about it... he learned how to be an epic bachelor.  :)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
skibumbob
Back
Top Bottom