Proper jack location?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Patnsuzanne

Greetings folks. I?ve seen a couple of references lately that warn against placing your jack under your trailers axle when servicing the bearings or changing a flat. I?ve been using a hydraulic bottle jack, along with a cradle I fabbed up out of angle iron and pipe to get our trailer wheels up off the ground for a while now without incident. So...have I just been lucky so far with that approach?  And if so, what is the approved method to go about these chores?  I should add that for extended work, I always crib up under the axle with blocking to back up the jack until the task at hand is completed. Thanks in advance for any words of wisdom you send my way.

I remember similar references, and anxiously await expert responses.

My thinking is those axle mounts hold springs, which hold the weight of the camper.  What better place to support those weights?  I can see lifting by the axle a foot or two in from that point could be a problem.  The axles may be heavier near the ends.  Only the ends require the weight carrying capacity.  The middle is just a spacer for the ends.  Lifting in the middle will lift more weight than lifting on the ends.  Blocking usually spreads that weight out over more axle than a jack.

Where is a stronger point to lift with a jack??

The axle tubing is the same thickness end to end, it's just a piece of pipe.  Depending on the rating, several thicknesses of pipe are used, and they can be rather thin and easily bent or indented.  Jacking at the spring location is a great place, but you cannot jack against the pipe.  If the springs are below the axle, jacking against the spring plate is fine.  If the springs are above the axle, then a block, that conforms to both u-bolts and the axle tube in a way that spreads the load, needs to be made.

lynnmor said:
The axle tubing is the same thickness end to end, it's just a piece of pipe.  Depending on the rating, several thicknesses of pipe are used, and they can be rather thin and easily bent or indented.  Jacking at the spring location is a great place, but you cannot jack against the pipe.  If the springs are below the axle, jacking against the spring plate is fine.  If the springs are above the axle, then a block, that conforms to both u-bolts and the axle tube in a way that spreads the load, needs to be made.

What I Was going to say, Under springs good, Axle in from springs not so good.
Another thing axles are often ROUND (Save for the plate under the springs) and thus the jack can more easily Slip off.

John From Detroit said:
What I Was going to say, Under springs good, Axle in from springs not so good.
Another thing axles are often ROUND (Save for the plate under the springs) and thus the jack can more easily Slip off.

For safe/proper fit to axle... I cut a pipe coupling ( large enough for several different axle diameters) and welded to the top of the bottle jack. Creating a ?saddle? to support axle. Also gives more surface area, to spread load!

As Lynmoor & John said, there are places that are OK and others that are not.  The advice "don't jack under the axle" avoids the need to describe exactly where is OK. Basically, you can jack under the suspension where it couples to the axle, but not under the axle tube/bar that crosses between the wheels.  If it's a rubber shear or torsion type wheel suspension, jack under the frame where the suspension/hub attaches. That way you are lifting in the same manner as the wheel lifts as it travels over a bump.

In all cases, make sure the jack lifting surface makes firm contact with the surface it will push against, and that the vehicle cannot roll forward or back even a faction of an inch. Also remember that the suspension can shift slightly as the weight is lifted and that can change the position against the jack.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
skibumbob
Back
Top Bottom