Looking for spreadsheet that adds up cargo weight

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NCSU Dad

Can someone point me to a spreadsheet or similar that would give me a running total of the cargo someone might choose from when gearing up an RV.

Thanks!

That's not something I've heard of, and I can't see how a list for me would do much good for you, since it's unlikely we'd carry the same things, and we very well may not have the same type/size of RV, let alone the same life style. What most of us do is to load the unit as we'd do for a trip, including water, fuel, people, etc., then get it weighed. That removes all doubt.

Let me clarify what I'm looking for. I do not want a fellow travelers personal gear list. I was looking for something that listed a variety of items one would take in their RV and how much each items weight. Then all the traveler needs to do is input quantities to get a running weight total.

We are in the process of buying our first RV. When the specs for a TT indicate the rig has a 1,000# cargo capacity I don't have a idea for how much stuff that 1,000# allows.

Maybe what I'm looking for doesn't exist. Maybe I'll create one.

There is so much variety in both what is carried and weight/item that such a spreadsheet is either horribly complex or not widely applicable.  For example, would you carry a small table top gas BBQ, a larger pedestal gas grill, or a charcoal grill, or maybe none at all?  What size & style of lawn chairs, tables, outdoor games, etc. And then what amounts and sorts of clothing, food, beverages, electronic gear, blankets, etc. etc. etc.  Do you count socks @ 1 oz each?  Or just "clothing" at 25 lbs/person, or some other guestimate?  I think you see the problem...

There are some checklists that may help develop your own assessment. Take a look at these and maybe build your own estimate.

http://www.rvgoddess.com/RV_Checklists.aspx
https://www.thefitrv.com/rv-tips/rv-packing-lists-printable-checklists-for-rv-trips/
https://winnebagolife.com/2016/10/pack-smarter-stefs-rv-packing-check-lists
http://blog.campersinn.com/blog/ultimate-rv-packing-list-for-a-first-time-camper

I agree there is just too much variation in the weight of stuff (is the frying pan thin steel, or cast iron, ...), the better option would probably be to gather examples of all the things you think you would want in the RV and weigh them, then total it up.  I think you will be surprised how quickly that hits 1,000 pounds.

If you don't want to weigh everything, you might look up the items you are considering on Amazon and look at the shipping weight for each,  this will of course include packaging weight, but on heavier items it should be at least close. The shipping weight dependency can also allow for those things you forget to put on the list (weight of food items, toilet paper, ...)

Since BBQ grills were mentioned lets use the Weber Q1200 grill at 29.2 pounds as an example https://smile.amazon.com/Weber-51010001-Q1200-Liquid-Propane/dp/B00RFXS1Z6 since in online surveys on rv message boards they seem to be the number one pick by far.  Then of course you will likely need the optional stand at 13.2 pounds https://smile.amazon.com/Weber-6557-Portable-Cart-Grilling/dp/B00FLRB0GK

By the time you add in an extend a stay propane connector to tap into your onboard tanks, a longer propane hose, BBQ utensils, etc. you are probably somewhere over 50 pounds just on outdoor cooking equipment. 

folding bag style camping chairs weigh 6-12 pounds each (some better over sized ones weigh in over 15 pounds), a folding camping table is another 20 pounds or so, ....

All total you are looking at least 100-150 pounds of stuff that a typical person takes along just to sit outside their RV, this is before you consider those cute items like camp site flags, or flamingo lights.

You will drive yourself crazy trying to come up with a list.  BTW 1000 pounds cargo capacity is really pretty small.  Water at 8 pounds per gallon adds up really fast.

I kept one going for several years my own [OpenOffice] ~~~ until my mind 'went'.  :eek:  Measured and weighed every particle of food ,clothes, bedding, misc ~ etc. etc.etc. in and out of motorhome.  Re-inventoried and corrected continuously. Exhausting practice and pleased no one by myself.  And at that  was a fruitless waste of time & effort.  JM2?  ~~ YMMV  I pray I don't feel the need to start it again.

Being so meticulous takes the fun out of it :) just use common sense and weigh your rig a few times when it?s fully loaded.

This is what most of us do.  A totally logical - but arduous - approach simply isn't worth the time or effort.  Once you have it loaded the first time go to one of the commercial weigh stations (Flying J, Loves and other truck stops have them).  They can weigh both the front and rear axles.  That will give you at least a working idea of what you're dealing with.  You may find that you need to delete some of the cargo  :( or you may have a comfortable amount left  :) to add "stuff' if needed.  The last time we weighed (which we do every few years) we shifted some of the stuff around to make a more evenly distributed load.  If you can find a four-wheel weighing place (sometimes at FMCA for example) that's the best because it weighs not just the front and rear axles, but also left and right to show side-to-side for both axles.  We usually weigh a new RV at the beginning of our first trip.  The manufacturer specs provide a rough idea of what to expect.  Ideally you will have a couple thousand pounds of leeway because things like tools and canned foods add up quickly and a cargo of weight of 600 pounds, for example, will be reached before you get inside the RV!

ArdraF

I think this is being asked as a pre-purchase question, i.e. how will I know if the rigs cargo capacity will be sufficient. You can''t weigh the loaded rig if you haven't bought it yet, and after you buy it, it's too late.

1000 lbs of OCCC isn't a lot, but it's probably sufficient for trailers in the size range that NCSU Dad is considering.  One big question is whether he will ever want to carry a full water tank (fresh or waste), cause water is heavy.  Another is the amount of available storage - it can't get real heavy if you don't have room to carry much.

Gary is right. This is RV pre-purchase thinking. Thanks to what I'v read here I have an idea of cargo needs for campground camping vs boon-docking. Is grocery shopping near or far. Etc.

Being first-timers we're leaning towards using our Tacoma or 4 Runner as tow vehicles and buy a smaller used travel trailer to keep expenditures low in case we find RV'ing is not for us.

I will start my own Excel spreadsheet. I'd rather tinker with that than watch TV.

Thanks for the replies & the packing lists.
The packing lists will give me a head start.

maddog348 said:
NCSU Dad ~~ Just sent you a PM of 1st 2 pages of 17 total  of last inventory. OF WHAT NOT TO DO :eek: :eek:

Got it, the columns went a little wonky but I can still used the data. Thanks!

NCSU Dad ~  I have a xtra list [working] from last year. All colors and lines showing.  Will USPS a copy if you want to send [PM] a postal address

Kate

NCSU Dad ` Gottem collected and in 'If It Fits It Ships' envelope. Will try to get to Post Office [tomorrow ~ Tues.] after when it re opens. Will advise.  Have fun  Kate

NCSU Dad, you mention buying a small travel trailer in case RV'ing is not for you.  This thought process seems a bit backwards to me, RV'ing covers a wide variety of activities, and life styles.  Instead you should ask yourself what sort of RV fits your life style and intended use.

I know for example that my wife would be miserable in a small sub-20ft camping trailer, or even most small class B motorhomes.  So those were quickly removed from the shopping list when started shopping for our first RV together a couple of years ago (I had previously owned a couple of camper vans before we met about 15 years ago).  Simply put, she would hate anything that had a toilet in the shower, she also demanded a functional kitchen, so we ended up with a coach with nearly 7 ft of kitchen counter top space, and a bathroom where I can't touch opposing walls with my arms outstretched (barely).

This goes both ways, someone that loves remote off grid boondock camping would probably be miserable in a newer all electric class A diesel pusher with only a few inches of ground clearance.

re: maddog348 - Thanks PM sent.

re: Isaac-1 - I get what you are saying. I don't know how to say this in RV lingo, the primary use is travel. Secondary use for evacuating from home during threat of hurricane. This will not be full time living accommodations.

re maddog348 - got it. WOW! The information contained in your spreadsheet is amazing. Thank you for sharing it with me. Roger

Back
Top Bottom