Problem with Chrome book

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

eliallen

Problem with the  browser on my Chromebook,  on you tube  or any other site,  I enter the Number 1 or 2  in the search block, the page close and returns to the previous page. No problem with any other number. I have  Power washed, many times. Set up a new user.  Sent it in to Asus.  When it came back it did the same thing a few times then worked ok until today.  Tks

Wow, I am stumped. I have been using Chromebooks since 2012 and love them. I have never had any problem with any of them software wise. I just tried entering the numbers 1 and 2 into the Google search bar and it searched for 1 and 2. It cannot be a virus, it cannot be malware. I am guessing that there is a problem with the motherboard but I have no clue as to what it is.

Google changed its ad policy and ad tracking on that day.  I had to do a complete "power down master clear" and everything is working fine again.  A soft power down will not make a difference.  Soft power down = doing a reboot from OS menu,  Hard power down = close everything and press power button or on OS menu select "shut down"

This first started  Dec. 2017. I am waiting on Asus Tech support. I think it is mechanical, not software related.

I'm going to venture a guess that is it a keyboard problem.  Possibly a solder fracture or dirty key switches, but more likely foreign material causing an intermittent short between data lines.  You might try a can of compressed air for keyboard cleaning.

spencerpj said:
delete the program, and reinstall.  Pretty easy if you have decent connection
Power wash did that.
Molaker said:
I'm going to venture a guess that is it a keyboard problem.  Possibly a solder fracture or dirty key switches, but more likely foreign material causing an intermittent short between data lines.  You might try a can of compressed air for keyboard cleaning.
So far problem only exist as I described.

eliallen said:
Power wash did that.So far problem only exist as I described.
What happens when you enter a 1 or 2 in a Google doc or application other than the browser search field?

Molaker said:
What happens when you enter a 1 or 2 in a Google doc or application other than the browser search field?
Works OK in Search field, but not inside  the document.  It ask  if I want to leave this document.  Google sheets,  RV Forum , Accu Weather, will close and go back to the previous page.  Google news  G-Mail, works OK. 

eliallen said:
Works OK in Search field, but not inside  the document.  It ask  if I want to leave this document.  Google sheets,  RV Forum , Accu Weather, will close and go back to the previous page.  Google news  G-Mail, works OK.
Then I stand by my suggestion of a keyboard problem.  Whether some sort of debris problem or actually defective, I cannot say, but I suspect the latter.  I cannot picture any kind of software problem causing this.

Molaker said:
Then I stand by my suggestion of a keyboard problem.  Whether some sort of debris problem or actually defective, I cannot say, but I suspect the latter.  I cannot picture any kind of software problem causing this.
Does the same thing with a external keyboard.

eliallen said:
Does the same thing with a external keyboard.
Then it is an even bigger (read 'probably not worth fixing') problem because it would appear there is a problem with the keyboard controller circuit.  That's something most folks don't want to tackle and is where the 'not worth it' comes in if you have to have a repair service do it.

Keep in mind, troubleshooting from afar is a lot of educating guessing at best. 

Molaker said:
Then it is an even bigger (read 'probably not worth fixing') problem because it would appear there is a problem with the keyboard controller circuit.  That's something most folks don't want to tackle and is where the 'not worth it' comes in if you have to have a repair service do it.

Keep in mind, troubleshooting from afar is a lot of educating guessing at best.

Right about cost, it is still under warranty. Just waiting on them for instructions.  "troubleshooting from afar" depends who is on both ends.

Could it be related to this?

http://www.foxnews.com/tech/2018/02/09/scam-hijacks-google-chrome-browser-tries-to-get-your-personal-data.html 

ELeland said:
Could it be related to this?

http://www.foxnews.com/tech/2018/02/09/scam-hijacks-google-chrome-browser-tries-to-get-your-personal-data.html
No it could not be related to that problem. That is a Windows problem, not a Chrome problem. It could not happen on a Chromebook because you can't get a virus or malware with a Chromebook. Chromebooks do not run programs so viruses are a non issue.

Virus-no, malware-possibly.

Maybe this will help:

https://chromebook.guide/chromebook-virus-removal/

The malware is only possible for the terminally stupid. If you attempt to go to a site that is a known malware distributor Google will fill your screen with a giant warning not to go there under threat of malware. Yes you could ignore the warning and go there anyhow but to do so makes the malware your responsibility, not Google's.

kdbgoat said:
Virus-no, malware-possibly.

Maybe this will help:

https://chromebook.guide/chromebook-virus-removal/
"Reset your Chromebook" is what it recommends. This is has been done many times.  The unit is on it's way back to Asus. Thanks for the responses.

Update.... Motherboard was replaced. All is well now. Thanks to all.

Yesterday I had to use my Windows laptop to do an update to my Garmin. It was a complete mess. I ended up having to reset the system. That took literally all day. Five or six times it started the 0-100 counter and then started it for a different reason. Frigging updates suck. I was finally able to actually use the dumb thing this morning. The entire time I was using it I was cussing Microsoft. I have been using a Chromebook for 6 years now and I am spoiled by the 8 second boot up, the blazing speed while surfing the Internet, the lack of malware and viruses and the fact the updating goes on behind my back without turning the machine into a turtle.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeep3501
Back
Top Bottom