Problem with Chrome book

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
SeilerBird said:
Yesterday I had to use my Windows laptop to do an update to my Garmin. It was a complete mess. I ended up having to reset the system. That took literally all day. Five or six times it started the 0-100 counter and then started it for a different reason. Frigging updates suck. I was finally able to actually use the dumb thing this morning. The entire time I was using it I was cussing Microsoft. I have been using a Chromebook for 6 years now and I am spoiled by the 8 second boot up, the blazing speed while surfing the Internet, the lack of malware and viruses and the fact the updating goes on behind my back without turning the machine into a turtle.
Windows is a sort of "use it or lose it" affair.  If you don't keep it updated, it will choke trying to catch up.  I frequently recommend that any Windows machine, in particular Windows 10, be turned on and left on for at least 1 day a week, if it is going to be used at all.

I learned the same thing when I got a new laptop with Windows 10. I use a hard ethernet connection when I see an update pop up.

Molaker said:
Windows is a sort of "use it or lose it" affair.  If you don't keep it updated, it will choke trying to catch up.  I frequently recommend that any Windows machine, in particular Windows 10, be turned on and left on for at least 1 day a week, if it is going to be used at all.
I use my Windows machine maybe once every few months for an hour or so. I really hate Windows so I am not going to keep turning it on just to satisfy so pointless upgrades. It is more fun just to cuss at Microsoft.

SeilerBird said:
... I have been using a Chromebook for 6 years now and I am spoiled by the 8 second boot up, the blazing speed while surfing the Internet, the lack of malware and viruses and the fact the updating goes on behind my back without turning the machine into a turtle.

The Chrome OS is based on Linux. I hope to migrate my home computer to Linux before Windows 7 (AKA "when-doze") support ends. I leave it running all the time and reboot once a week whether it needs it or not.  ;) ;D

I just have a few programs (finance and genealogy) that I can't run in Linux - yet.

I will say this about chromebooks

While I was in GA I got a chrome book and was seriously amazed, I've set up so many Windows machines I have lost count. Long, drawn out set up.  IN fact the FULL setup may take a few days as updates filter in.

The Chromebook.. Turned on, choose Wi-Fi Node,, Entered PSK,, Entered my GOOGLE user name (My real E-mail address, not one I publish) and my password (Likewise I do not publish) and within 2 minutes I was up and running, all my Chrome bookmarks and  everything.  Perhaps 3 minutes ffrom setting it atop the desk!!!

Recently it had a bump.. IT would not take power (I think I know why) so I got a second Chromebook, same low end (250 or less) HP. and fired it up... THen the next day the older one took power and worked in fact  used it earlier today.

Suddenly whereas my full internet run divided between the windows machine (Which I still use cause somne things a Chrome book CAN NOT DO) (There is not an app for that)  I';d be doing good if I finished my "Morning" Net run by suppertime.. I was done by 2pm today.  I do what I have to on the TOsh (Windows 10) Then switch to teh Chromebooks
(The Tosh is hard wired to the house router. I"ve turned the Wi-Fi off for now)

Molaker said:

true, but also loose it if you use it too!  The more you use it the more "cluttered up" the system gets.

I've been using my Toshiba Chromebook2 for about 3-1/4 years now.  I use it a lot.  The battery life is not nearly what it once was, but still ok....and the charging port has gotten to be a loose connection and gets hot....but otherwise the machine works just about as well as when new.  Never had a windows or Mac PC that old that wasn't a complete dog. Macs are better, but still get to be a dog eventually.

About the only two issues we have with chromebooks is occasionally we run into the landscape/portrait printing issue.  I sure do wish they'd fix that.  And the other thing is that our cloud printers sometimes deregister, and I never have been able to wrap my head around why.

Back
Top Bottom