Tire recommendations???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

K4jns

It's time for some new tires and I just recently purchased my first travel trailer. Here's the info, truck is a 2010 Supercrew F150. Trailer is a 2017 Keystone dry weight 6700 pounds. I already plan on upgrading trucks in the next year maybe two. Point is I need tires badly now. Tire size is a 275/55/R20 factory but I'm running 275/60/R20 115T. I wanted to at least go with a eight ply or even a 10 ply. I'm stuck because I cant find anything with that type of load rating in the factory size. In the 275/60/R20 I'm only finding a 8 ply BFG KO2 all terrain or for a little cheaper in 10 ply a Nitto Dura Grappler highway terrain. I don't need the all terrain tire and most my miles are on the highway anyways. If anyone has some advice or options please let me know. Guess I kinda am leaning towards the Nittos (Only option really in that size) but if I could find something in the factory size I'd save some money. Load ratings seem to drop with the factory size as well as price.

Hankook makes either an LT275/65R20 or an LT285/55R20.  They're both load range E all terrain tires which is your 10ply rating.

I've run them on my Jeeps and trucks for years, and they're nice and quiet on the street and they do good in mud and snow also.
The last set I bought, I ordered through Walmart.com and had them installed at the store, so you can get them almost anywhere.  I average around 50-60k miles on a set.

Was the factory tire a Load Range D (8-ply rating)? And is it an LT or a P type tire? Since you are looking at the Goodrich and Nitto, I'm guessing you want an LT. The LT deisgn is usually better for trailer towing anyway - the sidewalls tend to be stiffer than a P-series tire.

I wouldn't fixate on the ply rating anyway. You really need to be working with the load capacity (lbs the tire can carry) rather than some arbitrary ply rating. Get a tire that will carry the rated axle load (with some extra safety margin) and you should be fine.  You can use the axle GAWR numbers on the tire placard (driver door post) to determine how much capacity you really need.

The basic tire industry rule for replacement tires is; they MUST provide - via inflation - a load capacity equal to or greater than what the Original Equipment tires provided.

It's best to use something the vehicle manufacturer would recommend.

The most critical point, as Gary and Fasteagle said, is the tire load rating exceeds the truck rear axle rating.  If you have a 4000# rated axle and tires rated over 2000# each, you are good.  A 2300# rating gives more safety cushion.  A 3000# rating is overkill and a stiff ride.

Any LT tire that meets this criteria, is a 20" tire and 275 or 285 width in a 55 or 60 profile should work fine.

Thanks for the help guys. Rear axle is rated at 4050# I was about to make a costly mistake. Those Nitto tires are rated at 3417# each, which came with a hefty price tag. But I wanted to be safe, even thou I thought it was overkill. Just wanted some reassurance on my thoughts. Are there any benefits to that other then a stiff ride and a broke pocket? I honestly can't remember what the factory tires were but what's on it now are LTs with a 115 load rating. Not sure on the numbers I think that's like 2600# per tire and the couple times I've towed the TT there was now side wall flex. They actually handled good in my opinion, just starting to wear and I'm seeing some cracks in the side wall now so I would feel safer with new. It's time anyways. Thank you all for the feed back.

Are there any benefits to that other then a stiff ride and a broke pocket?

Short answer: No.

An LT tire already has stiffer sidewalls than a P (passenger) tire and that should be sufficient to handle cargo and trailer towing duty.

I honestly can't remember what the factory tires were...

You don't have to remember - there is a tire placard on the driver door post. Check it out.

Load Index 115 is 2679 lbs/tire and a good choice for a  4050 lb axle. The sum of the tires on the axle needs to be greater than the axle rating because the load isn't always exactly 50/50 across the axle, but 2500 or so lbs gives you a 25% safety margin. Increasing that to 50% or more gains nothing of practical value.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozgal
Back
Top Bottom