Electric PU trucks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
There are many unusual and unique issues to be addressed when it comes to batteries power transportation. They can and will be addressed.

Who knows, maybe you will pull into a filling station, they open the hatches under the tail lights and pull out two five foot, 75 lb. oxygen bottle shaped batteries and slide in fresh ones in less time than it takes to fill my 26 gallon F-150 gas tank.

In recent times, the only non-human powered  transportation vehicle that I know of that will not explode or catch fire in a crash, are the horses the Amish use to pull their buggies.

Be safe.

RGP said:
In recent times, the only non-human powered  transportation vehicle that I know of that will not explode or catch fire in a crash, are the horses the Amish use to pull their buggies.

I always seem to drive through their "exhaust" right after I've washed the car!  :eek:

I find the advances in transportation absolutely fascinating.  The power and efficiency of today's vehicles is amazing.  If the development of all vehicles, including electric and hybrids, advance as much in the next 20 years as it did in the last 20, it's really going to be amazing.  I hope I'm around to follow it. 

I hope more folks like Elon Musk will continue to "think out of the box".  I never thought he'd get this far, but he has and continues to create plenty of surprises.

RGP said:
Be safe.

Joezeppy said:
I always seem to drive through their "exhaust" right after I've washed the car!  :eek:

http://ktla.com/2014/07/27/exploding-manure-may-have-caused-fire-that-killed-horses-goats-in-palmdale/

Frank B said:
Steveblonde:

Can they not be re-refined, just like any other metal?  Lithium batteries have to be the richest 'ore' on the planet!  ;D

Nope they cant its technical and i dont understand the whole process but google it something to do with too many chemical processes ? Sorry im not a chemical engineer, but from what i understand it stands to be a huge issue in the future

I have a question. I looked online, and there were 236.6 million registered vehicles in the USA in 2015. Now, suppose 10%, 23.6 million were electric. How much pollution would overallwould would not be created by using electric vehicles over dino fueled vehicles? A currently made auto can now be pretty close to 100% recyclable. From what I'm reading here, there's a disposal issue with the lithium batteries? Next, the "grid" barely handles what we are running now electricity wise. How will it support charging all these vehicles? How much more pollution will power plants be putting out?

kdbgoat said:
I have a question. I looked online, and there were 236.6 million registered vehicles in the USA in 2015. Now, suppose 10%, 23.6 million were electric. How much pollution would overallwould would not be created by using electric vehicles over dino fueled vehicles? A currently made auto can now be pretty close to 100% recyclable. From what I'm reading here, there's a disposal issue with the lithium batteries? Next, the "grid" barely handles what we are running now electricity wise. How will it support charging all these vehicles? How much more pollution will power plants be putting out?
The future of electric vehicles depends on an infrastructure based on solar cells providing the electricity to run the electric cars.

kdbgoat said:

I would think as time goes on the battery situation will be resolved. Fossil fuels are a finite source of energy. It's going to run out. And the science is incontrovertible that burning fossil fuels is damaging the environment. Solar and wind are picking up momentum worldwide. As electric vehicles become more popular the manner in which they are charged and battery recycling procedures will undoubtedly evolve.

kdbgoat said:
Clean burning coal has evolved. Just sayin'

No coal is clean burning. The term "clean coal" refers to a process that cuts the emmisions produced from burning coal. The problem is the process is so expensive that only one coal plant in the States employs it.

My point was, how long and at what cost will the "As electric vehicles become more popular the manner in which they are charged and battery recycling procedures will undoubtedly evolve." take. Will it be the same as the "clean burning " coal?

All those Windmills are killing millions of honey bees, bats, and birds - so there is also a huge cost factor there.
Just adding my 2 cents lol

One of the major problems with LI technoogy is where it comes from.. Only two countries control the bulk of production  One is China and the other is not exporting to the US. and thanks to the new Tariff on Solar panels. China has limited it's exports as well.

steveblonde said:
All those Windmills are killing millions of honey bees, bats, and birds - so there is also a huge cost factor there.
Just adding my 2 cents lol

You are sort of correct. Wind turbines represent an insignificant fraction of the total number of bird fatalities caused by man-made objects or activities (e.g. Buildings, transmission lines, domestic cats). For every bird killed by a turbine, 5,820, on average, are killed striking buildings, typically glass windows. Although there are more buildings than wind turbines.
As for bats, they are susceptible to "barotrauma", a sense of disorientation  caused by the rapid change of air pressure created by turbines rotating blades.
Clearly bat, bee and bird assessments must be conducted as part of any application process. Wind farms must be located away from major migration routes and nesting areas.
It will get better. Wind technology, as a utility, is in it's infancy.

SeilerBird said:
That is an urban legend being pushed by the oil companies. Fuel taxes pay only a small percentage of those taxes. And a lot of states are currently addressing that situation by increasing other taxes.

The taxes on retail gasoline and diesel fuel, in cents per gallon, as of July 1, 2017:
Federal 18.40 for gas and 24.40 for Diesel. Average state taxes is 27.85 for gas and 28.62 for diesel. (https://www.eia.gov/tools/faqs/faq.php?id=10&t=5).
In my area that taxation amounts to about 25% of my fuel cost.
No idea though, of what percentage of the taxes really goes to maintain and building of roads and bridges. For all we know, the state taxes go to pay for pensions or mass transit.

To be fair, electric vehicles should be taxed at a similar consumption rate, perhaps by the mile and weight. Once someone figures out how to tax based on mileage usage of the roads, then the payback for electric trucks may not make economic sense.  Perhaps sending electric trucks into outer space may make more sense.

jks said:
The taxes on retail gasoline and diesel fuel, in cents per gallon, as of July 1, 2017:
Federal 18.40 for gas and 24.40 for Diesel. Average state taxes is 27.85 for gas and 28.62 for diesel. (https://www.eia.gov/tools/faqs/faq.php?id=10&t=5).
In my area that taxation amounts to about 25% of my fuel cost.
No idea though, of what percentage of the taxes really goes to maintain and building of roads and bridges. For all we know, the state taxes go to pay for pensions or mass transit.

To be fair, electric vehicles should be taxed at a similar consumption rate, perhaps by the mile and weight. Once someone figures out how to tax based on mileage usage of the roads, then the payback for electric trucks may not make economic sense.  Perhaps sending electric trucks into outer space may make more sense.

The lost tax revenue due to not buying petrol can be recouped by a similar tax when electric vehicles utilize charging stations. I was reading something on this subject the other day, it might have been a reply to this post, and someone said the day may come when the batteries for these cars may be able to be changed at fueling stations. You simply pull in and your depleted batteries are pulled out and recharged batteries are inserted. All in less time it takes to fuel a car or truck. The road tax would be added to the cost of the recharged batteries.

The greatness of Capitalism is the marketplace.  The market will decide unless the central planners start sticking their nose where it does not belong and start mandating usage and using taxation for behavior modification.

Keep in mind, the best electric batteries currently in production are built for the Chevy Bolt. They hold 60Kw of energy, weigh about 1000#, weight is directly related to mpg,  and cost about $6000 when not supported by massive gov. subsidies. By contrast 60Kw of gasoline weighs about 10#, cost about $3.00, and equals about 1 1/2 gallon of gas.

Nobody has convinced me yet, at today's technological point that electric vehicles are cleaner than the dino killers. Come on, somebody show me the numbers.

Back
Top Bottom