My Safe T Alarm 25-741 keeps going off!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mimi33

Hello,
My alarm keeps going off in the middle of the night about every 2 to 3 weeks. My RV has been kept plugged in at a park for a year now.
1. Bought the RV brand new in February
2017 (its a 2017 ForestRiver Wildwood Lite)
2. A year later it goes off for the first time in the middle of the night around 2 constantly beeping so it's the propane LP alarm. I mute it and it never goes off again that day. I air out the RV while anyway while sleeping in the car. (I never run anything on propane, water heater hasn't worked in months so not even that)
3. A few weeks later it goes off again around 2, I do the same again plus I completely turn off propane never to turn it back on again.
4. This morning around 3 the propane alarm goes off again only this time when I mute it, the sound stops for a minute but the red light keeps blinking, then the co alarm starts beeping 4 beeps at a time. I muted it only to go off again. Then the LP alarm goes off again. The fans airing out the RV seem to help stop it. I have nothing burning, no propane on for weeks, my RV battery outside hasn't been plugged in since I bought it, I don't use the stove, water heater, or furnace. I'm only plugged into the parks electrical unit. The red light was blinking while the green lights stayed on solid. No one is using generators.

It seems only to happen in the middle of the night.
Can you tell me what I can do?

Thanks
Michelle

Attachments

• A754CF08-E94E-411C-8C21-C4B49E4251FF.jpeg
    A754CF08-E94E-411C-8C21-C4B49E4251FF.jpeg
    178.9 KB · Views: 21
With no possible source of CO or propane, I would  suspect the detector has gone bad. You should contact the manufacturer of your alarm and discuss it with them.

Oh, welcome to the forum.

I would contact the dealer. It may still be covered.
Dou you have a dog? If you do, does he sleep near the alarm? Dogs passing gas will set it off.

I have a cat that I let hang out in here only during the day. No litter box. I have a closed container of cat food.

Many things can trigger an LP alarm - most any hydrocarbon gas (including doggie farts).  Further, it is fairly easy to contaminate the LP sensor if any kind of spray or several types of cleaning product get on or near it, e.g. floor cleaner/waxes, aerosols of all kinds, deodorizers, etc.  Contamination can cause random false alarms.

Why at night? Perhaps simply reduced air circulation inside, with you asleep, doors closed, etc?

If convinced there is no external source of a gas, I would probably just replace the alarm.

Thank you Gary
I have no air running at the time and no dog. Maybe it?s the bathroom? It?s right outside the door to it. I did notice before the alarm went off, the noise maker I use to drown out campers was off. When I pushed the button to turn it back on it was also on a completely different setting. Maybe the power weakened at some point in the night causing the alarm to go crazy? Maybe our power shorts at night sometimes? I don?t know. I?m definitely giving the manufacturer a call. I already sent an email this morning.

Mimi33 said:
Thank you Gary
I have no air running at the time and no dog. Maybe it?s the bathroom? It?s right outside the door to it. I did notice before the alarm went off, the noise maker I use to drown out campers was off. When I pushed the button to turn it back on it was also on a completely different setting. Maybe the power weakened at some point in the night causing the alarm to go crazy? Maybe our power shorts at night sometimes? I don?t know. I?m definitely giving the manufacturer a call. I already sent an email this morning.

You might have a poor wiring connection and voltage is dropping to the point of causing a problem for the alarm.  Not likely a short, everyone mentions a "short" when they have an electrical problem.  You should measure the voltage at the battery and at the alarm, if it is lower than about 12.5 volts at either place, report back.  In the meantime, check any 12 volt connections anywhere that you can find.

The RV nor the alarm run on batteries though. All electrical. My battery hasn?t been connected since I bought it. Our electrical system here seems to spaz out sometimes. If I run a fan on hot days I could hear it slow down and speed up sometimes.

You need to connect your battery IMHO. Right now, you are running off the converter and I don't know if you're getting a straight continuous 12.6 volts. Normally, the alarm will go off when a battery gets low but in your case it may be because off the converter is powering everything 12 Volt and it's not a steady 12 volts.  If the battery is a wet cell, make sure to fill them up with distilled water then let it get charged by the converter for a couple of days and see if that helps.
That's also probably why your fan speed fluctuates. The converter is going on and off.

Thank you. I was told by the RV company I bought it from not to keep the RV battery plugged while I?m plugged in because it will ruin the battery. He said to connect it every once in while to keep it from spoiling and to charge it. That?s why I never kept it plugged in. I?ll try that though.

This may or may not be true. Some converters do a very poor job of battery maintenance and can end up cooking them. Other converters can do an excellent job, but without knowing the make and model of the converter, this is all speculation.

I hope that tech was  not trying to warn you of the poor quality of the unit installed in your trailer. Your method will, for sure, ruin a battery in short order. (And that alarm could have also originated from your battery charging practices!!!)

Your trailer is brand new and has a modern converter/charger in it that will not ruin the battery. Leave it plugged in and you will no longer have low power setting off false alarms.

Mimi33 said:
Thank you. I was told by the RV company I bought it from not to keep the RV battery plugged while I?m plugged in because it will ruin the battery. He said to connect it every once in while to keep it from spoiling and to charge it. That?s why I never kept it plugged in. I?ll try that though.

Whoever you talked to at your RV company doesn't have a clue. I would guess it was a salesman. They typically don't know the first thing about RV's except what they can glean out of the brochures that are sitting in the rack. They're just interested in the sale, not the technical side of anything.

I?m sorry I meant to say the maintenance man at the RV place said to keep the battery unplugged while my RV is plugged into the park.

In the old days chargers put out full charge at all times and would boil the batteries but for many years now chargers sense the voltage and roll back the charge level when the batteries are full. There can still be the occasional problem but in general they are self regulating now. Just learn how to check for adequate water every month or two and that's about it.

Having the battery hooked up will mean that your devices like that alarm will never know that the park power had a small hiccup because the instant the power drops the battery takes over. No more low power alarms waking you up. :)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
urnwholesaler
Back
Top Bottom