tips for traveling in frozen freezing temps... heading south??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tanglemoose

Snowbirds... we know... we should have left earlier... next year... enjoy some  white atuff.. however, enough of this Global warmth .. Montana didn't get memo..

We are trying to head South, after "Oliver" passes by. Any tips on driving, packing rv, in freezing temps. All loaded, winterized of course, but it will be about 8 when we hook up the " Albatross"... hubby says the thing follows him for miles!..

We will have 3 days to get to warm.... Will my fridge keep items cool, but not freeze, like beer n milk???? Will inside of camper be about outside temp... or insulation help a tad??

I am guessing fine to drive down road in sub zero temps...

Any hints you have send my way.... unfortunately our first stop will be minus 7 at night... but hookups, and our ceramic heater and electric blanket will be us warm...

COME ON NEVADA ......  thanks, from the frozen tundra!

We live just north of you in Alberta and travel at below freezing almost half the year lol, the only issue is yes dont dewinterize and the floor in our 5er is cold as ice for the first hour after we stop. We also carry a couple space heaters we plug in when we stop to take the chill off and help the furnace, but ive towed my 40 ft trailer to Spokane in 12-18inches of snow just slow down a touch its not a race ( that happens when we get there lol)

I use to winterize my RV using air. No pink stuff. The night before we were leaving, I would fill the fresh water tank up. For the first day, we carried water in a couple of milk jugs to flush the toilet.  You could also use windshield washer fluid if you think it will be real cold.  When we got far enough south and no danger of freezing pipes, I would just start the water pump.

Ride with the fridge on propane. Shut it off when you stop for the night. That way you'll be saving your battery for the furnace during the night. Your food will be OK overnight. Turn it back on the next morning after hooked up to the TV.

When you stop for the night, start the furnace to warm up the RV. Do it with the tow vehicle (TV) running if you have a trailer. Once it's all warm, shut off the TV and disconnect the power to the trailer. That way, there no chance of draining your TV battery. If you have slides, keep them closed if you can. Less space to heat.

I use to leave the trailer hooked up mechanically to my truck but sometimes, I would put down the front stabilizer jacks  for a little stability but not really necessary.  Your choice.

Rene T said:
I use to winterize my RV using air. No pink stuff. The night before we were leaving, I would fill the fresh water tank up. For the first day, we carried water in a couple of milk jugs to flush the toilet.  You could also use windshield washer fluid if you think it will be real cold.  When we got far enough south and no danger of freezing pipes, I would just start the water pump.

Ride with the fridge on propane. Shut it off when you stop for the night. That way you'll be saving your battery for the furnace during the night. Your food will be OK overnight. Turn it back on the next morning after hooked up to the TV.

When you stop for the night, start the furnace to warm up the RV. Do it with the tow vehicle (TV) running if you have a trailer. Once it's all warm, shut off the TV and disconnect the power to the trailer. That way, there no chance of draining your TV battery. If you have slides, keep them closed if you can. Less space to heat.

I use to leave the trailer hooked up mechanically to my truck but sometimes, I would put down the front stabilizer jacks  for a little stability but not really necessary.  Your choice.

What Rene says ( see i got your name right this time lol)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
skibumbob
Back
Top Bottom