Mega-shore power

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gary RV_Wizard

Site Team
There have been some discussions of shore power lately, including the use of 3-phase instead of the more common split phase 240/120v sources. I thought the shore power for this rig might be interesting to conjecture about. Maybe for the Big Rig site of the future?

This one is 480v 3-phase and delivers about 45,000 watts of power into the rig.  How's that for an "all-electric" rig?  The power plug is round and several inches in diameter, and the power cable is about 3" in diameter. Why so much?  It's a portable PET Scan unit that a local cancer treatment group moves around to its several locations throughout central Florida.  Each location has a power pedestal installed in its parking area so the rig can hook up.

Photo attached.

Attachments

• Shore mega-power.jpg
    Shore mega-power.jpg
    221.7 KB · Views: 65
I could finally get that side-by-side Sub Zero fridge/freezer I?ve been eyeing

I've seen a number of mobile PET/CAT/MRI scanner trailers operating at hospitals and clinics around the country over the years. A friend of ours moved them around daily for a company that owned several. His tractor had a diesel 50kw 480/3-phase generator mounted behind the cab that was used to power the unit when local power was not available. As the prices have come down though, more and more facilities are buying/leasing their own in-house units so they're not tied down to fixed availability schedules. In-house units can be life saving for patients when doctors can get results immediately for a faster diagnoses.

Back
Top Bottom