Toilet Leak

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LTWinnebago

We have a new Winnebago Class A MH, right from the gitgo, the toilet leaked around the base, the unit was a Thetford.  Having a Dometic in our prior RV, we had the dealer replace it with a new Dometic.

Initially, no leaks, then a small puddle appeared at the left side of the toilet, checking the base bolts they were a bit loose, snugged them down, but not too tight. So, noticeable leaks stopped for a few days, then this morning, there was a leak on the right side.  Bolts ok, checked the lines, no noticeable leaks there, placed some TP on the floor, waited a hour, no puddle, but if you run the TP along the crease of the floor and toilet, the TP gets wet. Someone mentioned that the Dometic has a different floor flange then the Thetford, wondering if they installed with the existing Thetford flange?  Anyone have any insight on this issue.  Thanks.

It will depend on the two particular models, I would imagine. But... the floor flange itself will be part of the Winnie and not the toilet.

When I changed from a specific Thetford model to a Dometic, the bolt pattern was different and I had to modify the flange itself to accommodate the difference as the flange was part and parcel of the 3" pipe and could not be moved (rotated) around.

Checked the bolts again, little more snugging down and maybe the leaks gone?  Nothing since the OP.  There was a bit of water from the water connection point too, added some teflon tape to the threads (although by design, I don't think it's required, hose washer inside), reconnected the feed, still dry.

I'll keep watching and checking. Fingers crossed.

BTW thanks for the reply.

The issue is not so much a different floor flange, as different alignment.  Thetford used a flood flange positioned so the studs were at 11 and 5 o'clock, Dometic currently uses a 2 stud system where the studs are at 9 and 3 o'clock.  If the old flange as glued in place getting it loose and turned and reattached for the 9 and 3 position can be difficult.  The alternative is to drill and mount new anchor studs for the 9 and 3 position or use other flange repair kit methods.

Isaac-1 said:
The issue is not so much a different floor flange, as different alignment.  Thetford used a flood flange positioned so the studs were at 11 and 5 o'clock, Dometic currently uses a 2 stud system where the studs are at 9 and 3 o'clock.  If the old flange as glued in place getting it loose and turned and reattached for the 9 and 3 position can be difficult.  The alternative is to drill and mount new anchor studs for the 9 and 3 position or use other flange repair kit methods.

How about using these. Set the toilet on the flange and transfer down through the holes. Then remove the toilet and install these:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/The-Hillman-Group-5-16-in-18-tpi-x-2-in-Stainless-Steel-Hanger-Bolt-10-Pack-44948/204775370?cm_mmc=Shopping

Back
Top Bottom