50/30 vs 30/20

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dmiller226

I've done some searching and see that this subject has been beat to death in the past but I'm just trying to clear my foggy brain here.

My travel trailer is 30amp, 3 prong outlet. When I have a choice on the campsite, is there any reason or advantage whatsoever to taking a 50-30 site vs a 30/20 site? Since I'm only using 30amp is the 30/20 all I need?

It shouldn't make any difference except that if you have a adapter, you may get a better connection using the 50 Amp receptacle because it may have had less use then the 30. But that's all. If it's going to cost you more for the 50 Amp site, I wouldn't do it.

There's no advantage for your rig in using a 50 amp-capable site. Your electrical system won't use the extra capacity. A 30 amp plug is a single 120V line, while a 50-amp (actually 100 amps, but...) uses two 120V lines of 50 amps each, thus the four prong plug rather than 3 prongs. Even with a 30-50 adapter your rig limits your input to 30 amps.

Well, as a looong time 30 amp RV owner, whenever available I always pick a site with 50 amp available vs 30/20. If the 30 amp circuit goes bad or the output is low, you can always drag out the 30/50 pigtail and hookup to 50 amp. 20 amp is definitely not enough juice to run the ac and the queen's hair curler.

BruceinFL said:
Well, as a looong time 30 amp RV owner, whenever available I always pick a site with 50 amp available vs 30/20. If the 30 amp circuit goes bad or the output is low, you can always drag out the 30/50 pigtail and hookup to 50 amp. 20 amp is definitely not enough juice to run the ac and the queen's hair curler.

Bruce, would you pay extra for a site with 50 AMP?

I also have 30 amp, and always use a 50/30 pigtail. I have run into a few weak 30 amp breakers on pedestals. I would rather reset the breaker inside my unit, rather than have to go outside to reset a breaker. As far as paying extra, it depends on the cost per night. It used to be the 50 amp receptacles we're in better shape than the 30's, but that's slowly becoming a falsehood with more and more RV's with 50 amp service.

In theory it makes no difference - the 30A supply should be the same in either case.  In practice, the 30A sites in older or poorly designed campgrounds are sometimes weak and can't actually deliver a full 30A.  Sometimes it's because too many sites share one source, and sometimes its just poor quality wiring or worn/damaged outlets.  If you are in a campground like that, it may be worthwhile to pay extra for a 50A/30A site and use the 30A outlet there, or use a 30/50 adapter and plug direct to the 50A outlet.

Rene T said:
Bruce, would you pay extra for a site with 50 AMP?

Depends. If it was a real hot hot hot summer day, I would. But most all cgs these days have 50/30/20 amp pedestals and don't charge extra for 50 amp, at least the ones I have run across.

But most all cgs these days have 50/30/20 amp pedestals and don't charge extra for 50 amp, at least the ones I have run across.

If the site has 50A on the pedestal, you are probably already paying for it whether you actually use the 50A outlet or not. Typically there is a price difference between a site with 50/30 power and one with 30A only, but everybody pays the same for the 50/30 site. Regardless of which outlet you use.  Or even if you don't plug in at all.  That's my experience, anyway.

I have a 30 amp trailer, but I have found the nicer sites in many campgrounds are the 50 amp ones. They are newer, frequently wider  since many bigger rigs have many slide outs, and just generally nicer. I sometimes rent one of this type of 50 amp sites just because I like the amenities.

If you are going to rent a 50A site for a 30A RV you might as well go the extra distance of having 2 50/30 adapters. One that feeds the RV from L1 and the other that feeds the RV from L2. So when you check the output of the two legs you can use the one that has better voltage.

Back
Top Bottom