Use of a helicopter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rene T

Site Team
I just read a post and it mentioned that Huey Helicopters are used for blowing off the water from cherry plants after it rains. I've often wondered why Nascar thought about using helicopters for drying the track after a rain event. At least they could blow away most of the water. Just a thought I had.  While in the Army  I had the opportunity to do a little flying in helicopters. I know how much down draft they have around when landing or taking off.  It would be 1000 times better than the jet dryers they have now IMHO. You would have to give fair warning to the fans but the grandstands would be empty anyway because of the rain. 

Interesting idea.

Personally, I spent more time worrying about what I might be blowing away while hovering.  Items such as tents or anything not tied down was in danger of blowing away.

Hovering is actually more dangerous than flying at altitude.  If you are not constantly controlling the aircraft you can get into real trouble.  A blade strike, a tail rotor strike. or any sudden quick movement can quickly ruin your day.

The banking of the track would need to be carefully considered.

Another consideration is the cost of operating a Huey as a big fan.

Let a Harrier make a low level pass around the track.....much more impressive for the fans to watch.

As I sit here thinking about this there is one more reason to throw cold water on the idea, (pun intended).

The downwash from the helicopter could push an object away and into the air. If the wind was blowing toward the aircraft, the object could be directed back into the clean air above the helicopter and then pulled into the main rotor.

This has happened in the past and is why you want to be careful where you hover.

HueyPilotVN said:
As I sit here thinking about this there is one more reason to throw cold water on the idea, (pun intended).

The downwash from the helicopter could push an object away and into the air. If the wind was blowing toward the aircraft, the object could be directed back into the clean air above the helicopter and then pulled into the main rotor.

This has happened in the past and is why you want to be careful where you hover.

OK Bill. It was just a thought while watching the race.
How about 10000 drones hovering above the track.  :eek: ::) ;D

The blow dryers are cheaper to build and operate. Also safer for fans than a helicopter or two flying around the track. (Been there for the first blow dryer and beyond.)

An interesting idea, but I wouldn't want to be one of the thousands of spectators standing around the track perimeter while the chopper was blowing water and other track debris around! ;)

Rene T said:
I just read a post and it mentioned that Huey Helicopters are used for blowing off the water from cherry plants after it rains. I've often wondered why Nascar thought about using helicopters for drying the track after a rain event. At least they could blow away most of the water. Just a thought I had.  While in the Army  I had the opportunity to do a little flying in helicopters. I know how much down draft they have around when landing or taking off.  It would be 1000 times better than the jet dryers they have now IMHO. You would have to give fair warning to the fans but the grandstands would be empty anyway because of the rain.

everyone in the first ten rows would be covered with track rubber and dust......most all the races I have been to were first row seats and we come away with black faces and gritty teeth.

HueyPilotVN said:

F-O-D    Flying Object Debris......you dont want to fod it up as I have been told

Back in the early 90's, I flew for a private company and we would go down into south Texas and do low level flights over tomato fields when it was supposed to freeze overnight (like 20 feet low level). It kept the air flowing and prevented frost from forming. Usually had to fly a Bell 47 or a Robinson R22 since they were the cheapest back then to fly (but we still charged around $250 an hour). Pretty boring, but nothing in the way.

Wouldn't be keen flying around a race track with spectators, light poles, etc.

Hey HueyPilotVN, I have a buddy who has a UH-1E. I have flown it a few times, but pretty expensive to maintain it now.

They are looking for a new pilot over at the Grand Canyon tours.

( too soon ? :eek: )

Back
Top Bottom