Calculating a truck's cargo & towing capability

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gary RV_Wizard

Site Team
I came across this training aid & worksheet for Ford dealer personnel. It shows the weight and capacity labels, identifies what information is needed and where to find it, and how to calculate whether cargo capacity, GVWR and GCWR are sufficient.

It is instructive to note that nowhere does this worksheet utilize the "Trailer Towing Capacity" number that is so widely advertised and so often cited as evidence that a truck is not overtaxed by a given trailer.

http://www.diehlford.com/images/pdf/Towing-Capability-Calculator-for-F-Series-Trucks-in-Stock.pdf

Hello Gary,

Very interesting document, kudos to you for finding out about it.

I took the liberty of downloading and attaching it to this message, so we have a copy lest it eventually become unavailable at the source you linked (I hope that this doesn't run afoul of any forum rules, if it does please feel free to remove it).

EDIT: the PDF turned out to be too large to be attached to a message, perhaps it can be added to the forum's file area and then linked here?

Cheers,
--
  Vall.

OutdoorFT said:
That "lets try it" is silly.

Comparing an F150 and F250...cmon.

not so silly in my opinion, they are much closer than most people think - payload in a average  250 is not that high at all. why do think its silly?

Silly or not, it is a very common question that we see here regularly.  Tow ratings for F150's have gone way up, so that [superficially, anyway] they appear to be a contender for many towing jobs.  The example illustrates that it still comes up short for other reasons. 

Gary's point is well taken.

Once the folks realize they should be looking for these numbers, it is equally important to tell them where to find them and how to use them.

Good Post. :)

Looked at a new truck yesterday and I found the payload information on the yellow sticker.
BUT, I didn't see the other numbers (GVWR, etc).

Where should I find that information.

I did NOT buy the truck :)

GVWR is on a black and white label in the same area. That label also gives axle weight ratings and tire information such as size, inflation, load range, etc.

kdbgoat said:
GVWR is on a black and white label in the same area. That label also gives axle weight ratings and tire information such as size, inflation, load range, etc.

Thanks. 

I've read all about towing, weights, etc and now am totally confused. I'm a fairly intelligent person, but this just kicks my butt.
I have a 2004 Chevy Tahoe, 5.3L, V8.
I'm so confused over the GVWR, DRY WEIGHT, etc.
When I am looking online at trailers (travel trailers) I don't know which one I'm supposed to look at to figure out what weight I need to be to tow safely.
Can anyone tell me in pretty simple terms what I am supposed to look for?  And what I can tow safely?

Thank you from a newbie single woman!

Carin

OutdoorFT said:

I'm shopping for a new truck.  I use to think the same:  THEN, someone turned me onto the F150 with the 3.5 ecoboost.  I don't know the payload numbers yet but the towing guide shows a max tow of 13,000 pounds (based on configuration).  Some 250s have less towing capacity (based on configuration).  The MSRPs of similarly equipped trucks is also very close.  The race is much closer than it used to be.

Carin said:
I've read all about towing, weights, etc and now am totally confused. I'm a fairly intelligent person, but this just kicks my butt.
I have a 2004 Chevy Tahoe, 5.3L, V8.
I'm so confused over the GVWR, DRY WEIGHT, etc.
When I am looking online at trailers (travel trailers) I don't know which one I'm supposed to look at to figure out what weight I need to be to tow safely.
Can anyone tell me in pretty simple terms what I am supposed to look for?  And what I can tow safely?

Thank you from a newbie single woman!

Carin

The simple version...
Trailer
The trailer companies often provide dry weight (as it came out of factory) and cargo capacity. Add them up for GVWR (Gross Vehicle Weight Rating). GVWR is the key trailer number used for determining the trailers effect on the TV (Tow Vehicle).

Truck (or TV)
Two stickers usually on the drivers side door latch pillar (B pillar).
Black on white one has axel capacities and GVWR for truck.
Yellow topped one has max cargo capacity (people, luggage, pets, tools trailer hitch etc)

Thats it for the facts you need.

Trailers do a few things to the TV. They hold it back due to their weight and they also push on the TV when going down hill or stopping. The tow rating for the TV accomodates these forces.

More importantly, trailers also add to the cargo the truck is having to carry (hitch weight for TTs (travel trailers) and pin weight for fifth wheel trailers). Most often on 1/2 ton or 3/4 ton models, this will be the restricting factor.

So, calculate what your left over TV cargo capacity is after you put all the people hitch and stuff in the truck.
Then subtract about 10% of the trailer GVWR for a TT or 20% for a fifth wheel from that leftover load capacity and if you still have capacity left (a positive #), you can tow that trailer safely.

What gets most folks is they read about towing capacity which is really just pulling and stopping and then get surprised at how little cargo capacity is available.

Ok, gonna stop now.. finger is falling off

Yeah but the dealer told me it was OK, and my BIL is a truck driver and said I don't need anything heavier than 1/2 ton.
Besides the brochure said it can tow 10,000 pounds.  The wife hates the ride of a 3/4 ton, and the gas mileage sucks, so I choose not believe any of this, and tow that fifth wheel anyway.  Besides I see it all the time, and everyone else can't be wrong.

Just getting the common responses from the other side documented. ;D

Gods Country said:
Yeah but the dealer told me it was OK, and my BIL is a truck driver and said I don't need anything heavier than 1/2 ton.
Besides the brochure said it can tow 10,000 pounds.  The wife hates the ride of a 3/4 ton, and the gas mileage sucks, so I choose not believe any of this, and tow that fifth wheel anyway.  Besides I see it all the time, and everyone else can't be wrong.

WHEW......you had me worried a bit, until I read your last line!  ;)

Gods Country said:

10,000 lbs of what? There is a big difference between a 10,000lb of rolled steel and a 32 ft 10,000 lb trailer with a side draft of 32x 10ft one doesnt blow you off the road in a crosswind - speaking of which we saw the remainders of 3 trailers in the ditch this weekend on our 5 day 2000 mile treck including the coquihalla

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom