Adjusting Hot Water Temperature

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Foto-n-T

There was recently a thread dealing with a bad heating element and as I was reading the responses I noted a couple where people mentioned adjustable thermostats on RV water heaters and I wanted to mention a trick without hijacking that thread.

My rig has a ten gallon Atwood which has served me well for the last decade (knock on wood). As with all RV hot water heaters this thing puts out water hot enough to poach eggs. Many years ago on our first 5vr I wanted to get that water temperature down to something reasonable both for convenience and to save on propane. Since at the time I was very new and had no idea that there were actually adjustable thermostats out there I decided to use the bypass valves instead. Basically if you'd like to lower the output (faucet) temperature of your hot water simply crack open cold water valve between the cold water inlet to the water heater and the hot water outlet on the water heater bypass circuit of the plumbing. Do this while running the hot water from the faucet into a container with either an instant read thermometer or a meat thermometer that reads down to around 120?. When the water temp gets to where you like it stop opening that bypass valve and you're set.

Note that if you're in Arizona during the summer where the water comes out of the ground at 120? this will have little benefit.

I wanted to get that water temperature down to something reasonable both for convenience and to save on propane.

Diluting hot tank water with cold will not save on propane. The tank water is still just as hot.

You misinterpreted what I wrote or maybe my instructions weren't spot on. I'm not diluting the hot water in the tank. I'm diluting the 140? water coming "out" of the tank to a more manageable 115?-120? that's all. It's basically about the same as you'd do at the faucet except once it's set you no longer have to fuss with it.

YOu have an Idea there,  Interesting thing... When my RV was new and up to this summer when I had the ORIGINAL Atwood water heater....I did dishes in 100% hot.  I believe it was about 120 (Less in the sink because the initial bit is not that hot)

After replacement the hot is about 160. Same T-Statm the ECO is not tripping  Do not know the reason for the change but I now Mix hot/cold at sink.

I'm diluting the 140? water coming "out" of the tank to a more manageable 115?-120? that's all. It's basically about the same as you'd do at the faucet except once it's set you no longer have to fuss with it.

That is what I understood. What I don't understand is how that would save any propane.  :)  As you say, that is what one does anyway with taps. I just can't visualize how mixing hot water with cold anywhere along the line will reduce propane consumption.

Anyway, not an issue, as long as it works for you.

I agree it will not save propane, but it WILL avoid getting scalded in the shower.  With a young granddaughter, it WILL  make washing hands safer.  I think it is a GREAT idea!

but it WILL avoid getting scalded in the shower.  With a young granddaughter, it WILL  make washing hands safer.

In a pinch, yes! No arguments on that. I believe that it was also mentioned that adjustable thermostats can be had. That would be a good long-term solution.

As far as saving energy those that have posted it won't are correct. It will not save propane but in my defense I thought of the idea while RVing and there was probably alcohol involved in the initial calculation. Thankfully all that money I saved on propane and then subsequently spent on beer doesn't really have to be paid back. Sometimes it just doesn't pay to get out of bed but we do it anyway.

No not at all. Your comment simply caused me to rethink that aspect of why I did it in the first place. I still think it's a good alternative to replacing the thermostat and it definitely has it's safety benefits. My wife hated the fact that if she flipped on the hot water and inadvertently stuck her hand under the faucet she was likely to get burned and this method definitely prevents that.

In my case, I'd rather control the temperature at each faucet. If I want really hot water for washing dishes, it's there or if taking a shower,  milder temperature water is there also.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
David W.
Back
Top Bottom