2005 Fleetwood Bounder 38N Brakes Locking Up

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

majicchuck

Currently my coach is in storage. I went to check on it today and once I started up to move the motorhome; noticed that the brakes were locking up. I had the repair shop adjust them a few months back but they mentioned that it is not uncommon for brakes to lock up when sitting for long periods. He recommended that I bring it back in the spring. This was never an issue with my old gas Bounder. Has anyone else with a diesel run into this problem?

Yes, dp brakes will do that occasionally.  If you drive in rainy weather, you're supposed to chock the wheels and release the brakes and let them dry. If they do lock up, you can usually get them freed up by back and forward  rocking.  I don't know how to keep the parking brakes off however, because the spring brakes will automatically come on once the air pressure in the tanks falls below ~60 psi.

The brake mechanism on a DP with air brakes is totally different than the hydraulic brakes on a gas chassis.  They are firmly applied (by springs) when the coach is parked and in some circumstances they can rust in place enough so that they don't release as they should when air pressure is restored.  They rarelyneed "adjustment" if that happens - they just need to be broken loose. And maybe a bit of lubrication.  Often the locked brake can be jarred loose by putting the coach in gear and rocking a bit, i.e. shift between drive and reverse.

All but the very oldest DPs have automatic brake slack adjusters which get activated each time the pedal is used.They work best when the pedal is applied firmly, so best practice is to do so occasionally, i.e. brake to a stop in a shorter distance than may actually be necessary.

ChasA said:
Yes, dp brakes will do that occasionally.  If you drive in rainy weather, you're supposed to chock the wheels and release the brakes and let them dry. If they do lock up, you can usually get them freed up by back and forward  rocking.  I don't know how to keep the parking brakes off however, because the spring brakes will automatically come on once the air pressure in the tanks falls below ~60 psi.

Okay. Thanks!

Gary RV_Wizard said:
The brake mechanism on a DP with air brakes is totally different than the hydraulic brakes on a gas chassis.  They are firmly applied (by springs) when the coach is parked and in some circumstances they can rust in place enough so that they don't release as they should when air pressure is restored.  They rarelyneed "adjustment" if that happens - they just need to be broken loose. And maybe a bit of lubrication.  Often the locked brake can be jarred loose by putting the coach in gear and rocking a bit, i.e. shift between drive and reverse.

All but the very oldest DPs have automatic brake slack adjusters which get activated each time the pedal is used.They work best when the pedal is applied firmly, so best practice is to do so occasionally, i.e. brake to a stop in a shorter distance than may actually be necessary.

Thanks Gary! Good to know. Will keep this in mind for next time. Always learning....

I have an '07 Bounder 38N. Last summer when I started to move it from under the carport, it wouldn't move forward. The brakes were locked up. I just put it in reverse, let off the brake pedal, when it moved I braked went to drive on the trannny and everything has worked fine since. But I figured it was because it had sat for a while, like 4-5 months.

Just back up a foot or two and they?ll release. No big deal. Our Mandalay (Freightliner chassis) does it often after it has sat for a while.

Not a problem after you have air pressure release the parking brake and back up it will release. I try not to let my 38N set long enough to lock up. ;D
Bill

Back
Top Bottom