Awning issue

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lewis.34

I have a Dometic model 9100 electric awing. It deploys fine but when I roll it back up the motor can barely roll it. If I apply slight pressure to the arm it picks up speed and rolls up like it should. Is this a motor issue or a possible broken spring?

First thing is to check the voltage at switch or the motor.  Low voltage can cause such a problem.

Try cleaning and lubricating the moving parts, including the gas spring shafts and the inside of the tracks.

The motors are marginal in power, especially for the larger awnings that have a lot of inertia. If the voltage is even a tiny bit low or the mechanism slightly dirty or corroded, the awning may not move at all. Lubricate the pivot points in the struts and check all electrical connections. As little as 0.1v can make a difference here, simply because the motor needs every bit of its capability to do the job.

In an automatic awning, the motor has to overcome the pressure of the struts, which is what forces it out in the first place. To deploy, the motor unwinds the roller a bit and the gas struts push the now-loose arms out.  To roll up again, the motor has to turn the roller tube against the strut pressure as well as inertia, so the first few feet take a lot of torque.

Thanks for all the info and suggestions. I'll try all the suggestions and see what I can figure out.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
urnwholesaler
Back
Top Bottom