Selling RV on the Internet

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

crawforo

Have you heard of any scams about people responding to ads on the internet?  I am selling
a 2004 Cedar Creek and have it listed on several web sites.  Today, I received an email from
Canada saying that they were a company representating an interested buyer.  They wanted
more pics, if it was a clear title, why I'm selling it, how long I've had it, etc.  He gave me his
name and address, but it looked fishy to me.  Any word on scams of this sort?

I haven't heard of any scams. Sounds like the company might just be a broker of some kind that may or may not have a buyer. Obviously you wouldn't let the RV go without seeing either a cashier's check or a sackful of greenbacks.

Have you tried checking out the company e.g. by doing a web search on them?

It wasn't a company, but an individual.  I agree about the cashier's check and/or greenbacks!  I thought you may know of some
fishy business or the like.  It does seem likely that Canadians might be interested in American rv prices because of the exchange rate? Would that be possible?

Have read on another forum about scams of this type, even one where a cashier's check was given in payment & was not a legitimate cashier's check.  I'd either get greenbacks or an electronic transfer before I'd sign anything. ;D

Can't comment on the scam, because I have not heard any first hand reports.  When a Canadian buys an RV in the U.S. it has to be paid in $U.S., so there is still a premium to be paid, though the net price might be less than buying from a dealer and the selection in the U.S. would be greater.

That being said, I would be cautious about dealing with an individual as opposed to an established business that can be easily identified.  In addition, in Canada, we are aware of fake certified checks, known as cashier checks in the U.S. being used to pay for articles.  So many savvy sellers refuse to accept a bank certified check, because they can be computer generated and bank stamps can be duplicated.

Check fraud is not treated in the same way in Canada as in the U.S. and the use of checks is less common for routine transactions the way they are in the U.S.

When selling your RV, insist on cash or an electronic bank transfer and arrange with your bank in advance to ensure the transfer is legitimate, the funds paid and the transaction is irreversible.

If I recall correctly, in the US there is a difference in a certified and a cashiers check.  A certified check is drawn on the payors account but certified by the bank that the funds are available.  A cashiers check is drawn on the BANKs account, paid for in advance by the payor.  The difference is in the liability.  The bank is liable for the cashiers check.

Thanks for clarifying my misunderstanding, Ned.  I was misinformed...though I remeber the cashier's check that used to be delivered by Michael Anthony on behalf of John Beresford Tipton!

In the airplane business we've learned the safest way to insure funds is to have it wired through a US correspondent bank. When your bank notifies you that they have the wire the money is there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom