HWH leveling jacks leaking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JerryGarner

Having placed my title at the top, does anyone have any info on how easy or difficult it would be to either replace or repair the jacks. It appears to me that they are leaking from the seals.

Jerry,

My understanding is that it's not too difficult.  Most hydraulic shops can replace the seals, but usually require that you remove the cylinders and bring them in for service, rather than them working on your coach.

I had all 4 of mine refurbished, but I only live about 60 miles from the HWH factory in Iowa, so I had them do the work.  If I recall, it was around $200-250 per jack.

jagnweiner said:
Jerry,

My understanding is that it's not too difficult.  Most hydraulic shops can replace the seals, but usually require that you remove the cylinders and bring them in for service, rather than them working on your coach.

I had all 4 of mine refurbished, but I only live about 60 miles from the HWH factory in Iowa, so I had them do the work.  If I recall, it was around $200-250 per jack.

Thanks for the info Jag. I'll have to check when I get home, I'm currently in Virginia and I noticed fluid in the indentions on both front plates. The coach is a learning experience for me but I really enjoy getting grease up to my elbows and accomplishing a job myself. Jacks look to me like they could be dangerous but I suppose that's just the caution coming out as I'm a safety pro. At least getting it home I have somewhere to work on it without crawling around in mud and gravel.

Hopefully some of the folks here who have actually removed their own jack cylinders will chime in with specifics.  When I had mine done, I took it out to HWH one day and they removed all four cylinders in less than an hour.  Then I took the coach home and went back a couple weeks later when they reinstalled the rebuilt jacks and bled the hydraulics.  My issue was sticking jacks, not leaking, but the fix was the same.  You'll want to make sure that the fluid is coming from the seals in the cylinder and not a line or a fitting.

jagnweiner said:
Hopefully some of the folks here who have actually removed their own jack cylinders will chime in with specifics.  When I had mine done, I took it out to HWH one day and they removed all four cylinders in less than an hour.  Then I took the coach home and went back a couple weeks later when they reinstalled the rebuilt jacks and bled the hydraulics.  My issue was sticking jacks, not leaking, but the fix was the same.  You'll want to make sure that the fluid is coming from the seals in the cylinder and not a line or a fitting.

I'll take a closer look when I get home and can scoot under on a dolly on concrete. Smarter not harder.

Have you filled or added fluid lately??Allways check/add fluid with the jacks up,,make sure they are all the way up,,if you add to the top and they are not fully up,, it can cause the leakage at the seals.>>>Dan  ( You can also add Lucas oil stop leak to dry up minor leakage)

Absolutely agree with Utclmjmpr. The first thing to try is transmission stop leak. Even if it doesn't stop the leak, it sure is cheaper and quicker than a rebuild.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cakes09
Back
Top Bottom