Dirty trick - be alert

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Rene T said:
Buy one of these spin on valves and it will end all your problems. It's a great backup valve in case one of the main valves leak by a little. Pull the cap off, connect the hose, open the main valve then open this new valve. Simple.

https://www.amazon.com/Valterra-T58-Twist-On-Waste-Valve/dp/B000BGHYJS/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1519343937&sr=8-2&keywords=rv+valves

That's the one I semi-permanently installed when I reconfigured my Landau's original convoluted hose exit path.

Attachments

• 2015-08-10 09.58.40.jpg
    2015-08-10 09.58.40.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 69
Rene T said:
Buy one of these spin on valves and it will end all your problems. It's a great backup valve in case one of the main valves leak by a little. Pull the cap off, connect the hose, open the main valve then open this new valve. Simple.

https://www.amazon.com/Valterra-T58-Twist-On-Waste-Valve/dp/B000BGHYJS/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1519343937&sr=8-2&keywords=rv+valves

I actually did purchase one of these, only to find that it would sit too close to the ground.  Our dump pipe is below the body, not in a compartment, and the extra valve would have been at risk of hitting the ground when I enter my driveway or other angled approach.  I do NOT want to find out what happens if you drag that pipe hard enough!  :eek:

Rene T said:

X2. waz guna post the same possible remedy/fix. And.... I also purchased the End Cap shown.. use it with a dedicated length of 3/4" hose for an overnighter, or 4. That way you don't have to deal with the 3" sewer hose Each night & morning, for just the grey water ?

Rene T said:

Well, I am pretty late getting back to this thread, but this is an excellent idea! My sewer pipe comes straight out. It is not angled downward. I can put one of these on with no problem. Thank you for the suggestion!

I feel that way about my water fill port also, someone could just poor something in there as a joke while i am gone.  So i plan to buy a square cover with a lock on it and modify it to go over the round cover, at least maybe if they try it i will know.  Luckily i dont use that water for anything but showers and toilet.

Some people pull those black water levers as a joke but they dont realize that (especially those of us that are older) it could be deadly. Many of us have depleated immune systems to start with and we could get sick really easy from that waste.

I have a clear 90 degree attached to the valve.  Like others, it caused clearance problems on the old trailer (haven't really looked on the new one).  But what I do it put in on pointing up when not hooked up.  Then when I go to dump I know how much is there waiting for me, and can flip it over to hook up the dump hose.

On the old trailer, like others here, there was some leakage.  This let me SEE what I was getting into.  Later on the old trailer I put one of the end of the line blade valves as the "leakage" got too much.

Knowing is half the problem :)

-Kyle

-Kyle

You also have to check your 5th wheel handle as well after you stop somewhere.  I have seen dirty tricks with someone pulling the handle on a 5th wheel thinking its funny when the trailer falls off.  This is especially true for OTR truckers at truck stops, if another trucker does not like you or is trying to make better time than you then may pull your handle and then your trailers falls off when you start moving. 

I was thinking about making some kind of latch for the 5th wheel cable handle on mine so i can lock it closed and keep others from messing with it.

I know this is possible - and there are video's and stories about it happening on the "web".  But I like to think it is VERY rare and likely has happened only a couple of times ever.  I may be living in my little "everyone is good" world - who knows.

That said I have a walk around I ALWAYS do after a stop - and I do check the trailer/truck connection.

-Kyle

Well, I can only speak for myself, but the waste valve has been opened on mine twice this past 2 months. Once in the same RV park where it first happened a couple of years ago, and once while boondocking by, I suspect, someone who took a dislike to me. I KNOW I did not leave the valve open by mistake, as, like you, I check the valve regularly now, and it was NOT open before.  In both cases, because I had been checking regularly, I knew in advance that it had been pulled, and had a bucket under it when I took the cap off.

Our current unit is a TT, but the hitch on our previous 5th had a pin lock on the release arm, and the locking pin had a hole for a spring clip. It took some effort to pull the handle on that one, and I never had that problem. However, to be forewarned is to be forearmed. Thank you for mentioning that. Dropping a big 5th on a tailgate and/or box rails does major damage to the truck.

I?ve heard of folks having their step handle being closed at night while they are sleeping making it impossible to open the door from the inside. There?s a fix for that but I don?t remember it.

Interesting. I guess I'm pretty naive, as I never thought of someone doing that as a trick. I did notice it was possible when we bought this latest trailer which has one of those folding grab handles on it.

in our case, our travel trailer has two outside doors. Only one of them has a folding handle. :)

NY_Dutch said:
I have individual black and grey valves, plus a single "master" valve just before the capped outlet. Both the individual tank and master valves must be opened before anything will drain.

I have the same arrangement and procedure. And.. With my Black and Grey valves bein inside a storage compartment... that's ]about as poop proof as you can get it. NOTHING happens until AFTER I hook up the sewer hose..  and open the "Master" valve... that [is In Plain Site]

With electric dump valves it is not easy to manually open the valves so incidents mentioned above would probably never happen.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chaderic
Back
Top Bottom