Power Outage Zaps Our A/C

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pee.brown

We experienced 2 brief, 3-second, power failures in a short period yesterday and now our air conditioner won't come on. My husband's checked the fuses and breakers and done all he knows how to do. Is there anything you can suggest we try before we haul the RV off to Camping World? We're having a heat wave!

Some thermostats have internal fuses. You might want to look there. And Tom S. is right, I would do without A/C before I took mine to Camping World.

I would give this at best a 25% chace but one of the reasons I like power via a "Device" called an Surge Guard (A real Surge Guard like the Progressive Insustries HW-50C or 30C if you have a 30 amp RV) is this. It can be set to hold power off for just short of 3 minutes. add to that the slight delay before the compressor kicks in an the Compressor has time to Bleed Down and do a "normal" restart.

Hot starting (Re-starting the motor before the pressure bleeds off) is hard on it, very hard,

So you may have blown a fuse as described above  Or you could have a wire loose on a circuit breaker (happened to me) or you may have popped the start capacitor or burned out the motors,

That last one is about $1K installed ,

My bet:  the start capacitor needs reset.  and I would live without before I went to Camping World

You might Google your A/C model/brand and the problem

Thanks all you wonderful guys! I'll give my other half a full report in the morning (he's asleep) :)

spencerpj said:
My bet:  the start capacitor needs reset.  and I would live without before I went to Camping World

You might Google your A/C model/brand and the problem

I've been an Electrician since 1980 and I've never seen a Capacitor with a reset.  They are either OK and working correctly or they have shorted out or grounded out.

Spell chunkers are marvelous things. they often change the word I'm typing into something different entierly.

Next to Nest for example

How to RESET a start capacitor
1: Get new Capacitor
2: Remove od
3: Install new

Use a soft start cap by the way.  Makes it easier on your generator.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
urnwholesaler
Back
Top Bottom