Replacing a fresh water cap to a valve

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RVLadyInPC

Hi all!  This is my first official post on the forum.  I'm hoping someone out there can point me in the right direction.  I currently have a Coachman Clipper Travel Trailer (2014).  I'd like to try and do the winterization and dewinterization process myself.  But I've read online posts that you can get pretty wet unscrewing the caps on your fresh water drain.  I'd like to replace the cap on my drain with a valve to make things easier.  I've googled valves online and there are several different kinds.  Wondering if anyone else out there has done this and could they recommend an approach.  My freshwater tank has a small hose that hangs from the tank underneath the camper (can send a picture if that would help).  Currently there is a cap on the hose that I have to unscrew.  So I need something that attaches to that hose that will allow me to not have to unscrew the cap but just release the water easily.  Much appreciated for any advice you can offer!!

If yours are the same size that I had, any valve with 1/2" female pipe threads will work. Just about anything from a $1.89 pvc valve to a real fancy valve made for bulkhead mounting.

I have the same type set up you have and have also thought of installing a valve but in my case, I felt that it would hang down too low and would probably get broken off by striking something. So I live with having to unscrew the cap and for me, it's no big deal. I never get a bath doing it.

It's not that big of a deal, just make sure the water pump is off and pressure is drained from the system before you remove the caps (open a faucet to drain the pressure).  Then stay off to one side while you loosen the caps.

If the pressure is drained, all you'll get is an occasional drip until the cap comes off.  If there's pressure in the lines, you'll get sprayed as soon as you start loosening them.

If you are talking about the freshwater TANK drain Well I never had a problem getting "Very wet" in all the RV's I've drained but on this one I did put in a valve. in addition to the valve the factory installed (Drains faster).

Other drains like low point, should have a valve up-line of the cap in many RVs.. but alas not all

So long as it does not "hang low" where driving over say speed bumps can bunp it off  Valve is good idea,

Lou Schneider said:
It's not that big of a deal, just make sure the water pump is off and pressure is drained from the system before you remove the caps (open a faucet to drain the pressure).  Then stay off to one side while you loosen the caps.

If the pressure is drained, all you'll get is an occasional drip until the cap comes off.  If there's pressure in the lines, you'll get sprayed as soon as you start loosening them.

Lou, I believe the OP is talking about the fresh water tank drain and that won't have any pressure.

Rene T said:
I have the same type set up you have and have also thought of installing a valve but in my case, I felt that it would hang down too low and would probably get broken off by striking something. So I live with having to unscrew the cap and for me, it's no big deal. I never get a bath doing it.

Great point.  I'm currently in the process of repairing a crack in the freshwater tank of our new (to us) TT.  The crack is right at and around the drain fitting.  My guess is that it was struck at some point as it does protrude down about an inch and a half from the tank.  Once I fix the crack I'm planning to replace the valve with a threaded plug before I reinstall the tank.

Head to a plumbing supply house:
They sell little plastic valves that have a serrated end that you use with a metal screw clamp (similar to a hose repair splice) It is a simple job
Cut the existing end fitting off - put the clamp over the pipe - push the end of the valve in the pipe -pull the clamp down on to the fitting and tighten it up
I think the valve was $2

On the other hand, if you are talking about the hot and cold water drains, just unscrew the cap a little bit with out taking it completely off and you can regulate how quick the water comes out

Jack L

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
traxster
Back
Top Bottom