Seattle to Williams, AZ

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

braduah

Fellow RVers...

I've posted a few times in regards to our route from Seattle to Florida.  We are headed out two weeks from tomorrow.  Based on my reviews of the roads & conditions through Oregon/Idaho/Utah, I'm planning to take less riskier route down I-5.  We are planning to stop for two nights in Williams in order take the family on a train ride through the Grand Canyon.  Before my question, a few things to know about my situation:

We are a family of 6 with 4 kids ranging from 11 - 9 months.  We also have two dogs that will be traveling with us.  We are not towing a vehicle, and we have a 34' gas pusher (FR3 32DS).  This is the first motor home we have ever owned and have owned it for just under a year.  We are very much newbies, but I feel like I have at least had a great opportunity to learn how to drive one of these living in the Pacific Northwest with the rain and mountains.  I've learned to take it slow and not be in a big rush.

With that being said, I'm trying to figure out the best route to take from Seattle to Williams Arizona.  We plan to leave late Wednesday and drive a few hours or leave out early Thursday morning.  We plan to make it to Williams by Saturday evening.  My questions

1.  What is the best path to avoid the crazy traffic of California?  I'd prefer to stay on main interstates and avoid any type of mountain passes (snow) where possible. 
2.  Any recommendations on places to stay within close proximity to the path for Thursday and Friday night?  (We normally stay at KOAs due to being pet and kid friendly)

Once again, appreciate all of the input and suggestions for my family that is new to motorhome adventures!

edit: Fixed Topic Title - LS

I would suggest taking I-5 to I-10 in LA then hop onto I-40. If you drive it in the middle of the day traffic will not be a problem. I lived in the LA area for 30 years. Traffic is not nearly as bad as the California haters would have you believe. You are not going to go from Seattle to Florida without mountain passes. I-5 has a few but they are pretty mild.

The train from Williams does not go through the Grand Canyon. It goes from Williams to the south rim. There is no view of the canyon from the train, just plain old Arizona desert. However I do highly recommend the trip for you to take you kids on. It will be the highlight of their trip (well the return trip, I won't spoil it for you).

From Seattle: I-5  all the way to California Ca 46 East, to Ca 99 South.. to Bakersfield. In Bakersfield, take Ca 58 East to Barstow. In Barstow take I-40 to Williams AZ.

Taking this route, you will avoid LA completely. the only traffic you may encounter [might] be Sacramento, if you hit it in during the commute times.. even then it flows.. if you stay in the #2 lane, or the Trucks OK lane(s). 

(In Williams there's Very Nice RV park.. next door to the Grand Canyon RR Station ?)

Big Joe's route is the one I would take, always assuming the weather is decent.  I-5 has an extremely long downhill from the Oregon border into California.  It's freeway, but because of it's length watch your speed and keep to the truck speed limits for curves.  At the bottom of the long grade is the CA agricultural check station and we have to stop about 50 percent of the time so be prepared to stop.  CA 46 has fewer towns than other east-west routes from I-5 to 99 so we prefer it.  CA 58 crosses the Tehachapi Mountains but it's a good road.  Probably the roughest part will be on 99 but it's not all that long.  The section of I-5 after Los Banos to CA 46 follows the California Canal and there are some view points so you can see it better.  When I was a kid I-5 did not exist and that area was a desert.  Then they built the canal for irrigation and that desert is now mile after mile of orchards.  It's possible some of the trees may be in their spring bloom which makes a pretty drive.

ArdraF

I went through Bakersfield earlier this week.  The orange trees along Hwy 58 were bearing fruit and looked ready for harvesting.  I don't remember seeing a February crop there before.

Orange Grove RV Park on Hwy 58 east of Bakersfield is in the middle of a 40 acre orange grove and they let you pick all of the oranges you want while you're staying in the park.

Folks...

Appreciate all of the feedback and recommendations.  As for wintry weather, I assume the message is to just stay aware of the conditions?  We do not have chains and I have absolutely no desire to drive a motorhome with my family in it on snowy roads.  As of this morning, appears there is a nice little storm in Oregon that has shut down I-5 at the Oregon/California border.  I assume this is normal and I will just need to keep my eye on the road conditions?

It is normal to always keep your eyes on road and weather conditions when traveling in an RV. High wind, hail, snow, and driving rain are all to be avoided. It is a day to day decision as to if it is nice enough to drive in. Driving an RV should be fun but it is not fun in extreme weather. There is no way to predict extreme weather more than a day in advance in most cases. Remember climate is what you expect, weather is what you get.

Ditto on Big Joe's route.  You will avoid most of the traffic around LA, and the Tehachapi Pass on the way to Barstow is the best you will find.  There is a nice campground in Tehachapi near the glider airport if you want to watch gliders.  Super bakery/cafe in town also.  Little chilly there this time of year, h owever.

braduah said:
Folks...

Appreciate all of the feedback and recommendations.  As for wintry weather, I assume the message is to just stay aware of the conditions?  We do not have chains and I have absolutely no desire to drive a motorhome with my family in it on snowy roads.  As of this morning, appears there is a nice little storm in Oregon that has shut down I-5 at the Oregon/California border.  I assume this is normal and I will just need to keep my eye on the road conditions?

:)) If I-5 is closed, or chains are required south of Medford Or. there is a Very nice SP at "The Valley of the Rogue', just north of Medford. Once in California.. the only pass that [may] have snow would be the Tehachapi Pass on SR-58. If so, the Orange Grove RV Park (Edison Rd. exit) LouSchnieder mentions is a Very good park to hunker down at, 'til Caltrans opens it up. 

We live here in CenCal.. and have traveled extensively throughout the western states (mid & eastern too). sounds like this is one of the First long RV trips you have taken Soooo.. as you travel.. If you need any Guidance or Assistance .. just Post them up on here.. I, as well as Many of the members will be More Than Happy to assist.. You and Yours (?).

Happy & Safe Travels.  :)

Joe

Big Joe...

This is definitely our first cross-country expedition.  Alot of unknowns for us, so trying to make sure I have all of my basis covered.  I really appreciate all of the input and recommendations along the way!

braduah said:
Big Joe...

This is definitely our first cross-country expedition.  Alot of unknowns for us, so trying to make sure I have all of my basis covered.  I really appreciate all of the input and recommendations along the way!

:))

Back
Top Bottom