Charging batteries

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Depends how long you'll have it in storage. I've never had to find out because I leave mine at home  all the time and I leave it plugged in. It may be just a matter of adding a battery disconnect switch if you don't have one now.

Ours were always plugged in, but if the rig didn't have a quality 3-stage charger (our earlier ones did not), I used an appliance timer on the power cord so that it did not charge 24/7. A couple hours per day are plenty in most cases.

I don't know what converter/charger your Cambria has, but it sounds as though it is over-charging. Most recent year chargers aren't that bad, even if not 3-stage, so maybe you have a weak cell in a battery. That drags the voltage down and stimulates the charger to keep pumping in electricity, probably boiling off fluid. Have you done a hydrometer test (assuming its not sealed batteries)?

Mine has a triple stage charger. It is plugged in pretty much all the time except when I am driving. When I have to start adding water to the batteries I know they are nearing the end of their life.

I CHECK the water only once a year and add if necessary, but I also draw my batteries down to around 63% when in use, so I run a pretty high current charge routine and boiling simply happens. But when done the charger drops to float and then standby (off) until needed. If you're adding water like that you need to watch the charger with a real DVM and see what's going on

afchap said:
Mine has a triple stage charger. It is plugged in pretty much all the time except when I am driving. When I have to start adding water to the batteries I know they are nearing the end of their life.
Same here except I have AGM house batteries.

Do yourself a huge favor, replace your Winnebago supplied charger with a good three stage version. Replace your house batteries with premium AGM (totally maintenance free) ones. When my Horizon was brand new, I replaced the charger/inverter with a Xantrex RS2000 and replaced the house battery bank. A buddy sold the Dimensions charger/inverter I pulled out on flebay.

Spend the bucks now and enjoy years of trouble free battery charging (and a good three stage charger will charge faster.)

John Canfield said:
Do yourself a huge favor, replace your Winnebago supplied charger with a good three stage version.
---snip--
Spend the bucks now and enjoy years of trouble free battery charging (and a good three stage charger will charge faster.)
WORD!

So far my BatteryMinders have been doing the job, one for the 6 AGM coach batteries and the other for the 2 chassis batteries.  I just leave the masters off on the coach and not worry about trying to plug the rig in.  The BatteryMinders go direct to the batteries.

Attachments

• batt.JPG
    batt.JPG
    135.8 KB · Views: 26
You guys now have me curious. I'll be storing my coach for six months between trips this year and rely on my solar charger to keep the batteries at a reasonable level along with visiting it every two weeks and exercising the generator, which will charge the batteries for one to two hours. Is this going to be enough? I have done this for the past two years and haven't had problems other than with older batteries needing replacement.

The little 10 watt solar panel Winnebago installed isn't going to help much if any and I think it's hooked up to the chassis battery bank.  If you added solar panels, that might or might not keep your batteries topped off depending on the wattage. Did you install a Trik-L-Start or something similar to keep the chassis batteries charged?

Running the generator is a good idea but your charger might not pump much current into the batteries, your engine alternator might put more current out (if the batteries accept the charge.)

John, thanks for the info. I exercise the generator every two weeks and start the engine, letting it run until it gets to normal operating temperature, usually about 10-15 minutes. Knock on wood, but until now, I haven't had any problems. I never knew if the solar charger from Winnebago did any good, but each time I go out to the coach, the house batteries show 12.7-13.2 amps and the chassis battery usually reads 12.5-12.9. I went out today and it showed consistent readings. I have never installed a trickle charger because the coach is stored in public storage and there is no electricity, nor have I installed extra solar panels.

Your lucky to be able to exercise it every two weeks.  About every 3 months for me.

I changed out my batteries, I will see what happens. Question: how do you know what the battery charger you is doing without a gage. Coach information says it USA 3 stage charger. Thanks to all the replies to my original post.

You would need a monitor interface with the battery charger or a battery status monitor.  The battery monitor would track charge and discharge current. After a couple of days, your three stage charger should float a charge at about 13.2 or 13.4 volts give or take a tenth of a volt. In short, without buying more stuff it's just a guess.

The Winnebago Views were switched over to multi-stage converters about 2014, I would think a 2016 model would have a multi-stage unit.

Most likely a cell has gone bad in one of the batteries and is causing the converter to charge too much.

Charles

Can someone provide a link to a trick-l-start type product? It appears they are no longer available and this year my engine batteries were toast even though it was plugged in all winter. I replaced them and now want to keep them. Thank you!

http://www.lslproducts.net/TLSPage.html          put one on our 99 Mirada years ago and works fine ... keeps engine battery charged on shore or generator power.  There is now a 15A version also.

Howard

Back
Top Bottom