adding wall mount thermostat stat for carrier air v

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kylenmandie

looking to by pass the stupid remote for the carrier air v.  my furnace seems to be "short cycling", I assume to lack of correct information (the actual temp in our rig) get to the thermostat mounted on the roof with a/c.  I've read of people bypassing this and adding a "heat only" walkout thermostat, but can't seem to.lo ate these threads.  any help here guys? if be willing to run all the wires so I can replace the a/c unit at another time since it's motor died just before winter anyway.  thanks

The furnace is a simple appliance and the only external input it gets is "heat needed" or not. You could shift the furnace input wire (it's just a +12v signal) to a heat-only thermostat and locate that thermostat wherever you like [and can get some wires to it).

You said "short cycling".  That could be a furnace problem as well as the thermostat.  Does the fan continue to run but the burner shuts off, or do both fan & burner shut down and later re-start?  Another possibility is simply that the  existing thermostat temp sensor is in the path of a heat duct, so that it reacts quickly to heat when the furnace runs, but them cools quickly as soon as the furnace shuts off. There may be a way to divert the heat so that doesn't happen.  Perhaps if you explained the "short cycling" problem further, we could help solve it.

I just replaced the control board on it, so it's basically a brand new furnace.  I think what I am calling "short cycle" is what you mentioned about the current thermostat (in the ceiling, built into the carrier air v lower unit) is in the path of the heat ducts. this is why I wanted to bypass that and put a wall mounted thermostat to control it.

Ah. yes. At first I thought you wanted to control the A/C.  I fixed that problem 2 ways. still get short cycles though.

1: A fan, yes a fan, aim it at the little yellow "tip" that sticks down through the grill from someplace else. I've used a few location. this puts room temp air on the sensor.

2 When we replaced my front A/C (The one that controls the furnace) we could not get the adapt-a-kit to make it fit on the carrier controls.. I tried but well  Too mucvh resistance (would have been easy to home brew).

So I had to go with a wll stat

In my case there is a main "Contro Panel" (Switches for most everything) in the hal, there is a big bundle of wires behind it, I peaed that bundfe open adn the wires actualy say T-STAT on them believe it or not.

I used a 20 dollar mechinical mercery free T-Stat from Ace Hardware.  Works great.  Still short cycles but it also keeps the rv comfortable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeep3501
Back
Top Bottom