Water pump acting up

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

skydivemark

2015 Thor 4winds 31L C-class;
The feash water pump didn't work. I shut off the switch for a bit (a minute or 2),  it worked OK then quit again shortly after. So I shut off the switch for several minutes then it worked OK - at least for a minute or so to flush (didn't want to push my luck). Repeat after 35-45 min or so, worked good to get water for the dogs & then rinse the bowl.
We usually keep the switch turned on when not hooked to shore (including while driving), so I guess my question is; should I leave the water pump "un-powered" when not "needed"? Maybe it overheats or something?
There is only one pump switch - on the control panel -, no additional switch in the bathroom like our previous Jayco (I really liked that feature).
Input appreciated!

When I'm parked, I leave the switch on all the time. When traveling, I always shut it off. I have a fifth wheel and I can only imagine what I mess I would have if a pipe fitting cracked while traveling and the pump put 50 gallons of water in the rig.

I guess - for now - we will be keeping it off when not needed.
When it first acted up my wife said she heard a click type sound back in/near the electrical center when I toggled the switch. Maybe there is a relay in the system. The pump is next to the tank - under the kitchen counter, far from the click sound. I don't remember the brand, been several months since I looked at it. I do remember thinking "that's gonna be REAL fun to replace when/if the time comes".

When the pump quits take a power reading at the pump to see if you have power. That will at least narrow the possibilities. If when the pump will not operate it has no power available, at least you know it's not the pump and can troubleshoot elsewhere.

The "click" is probably from a pump relay, which you likely have even though there is only one on/off switch. The relay may have a problem, either itself or a loose/damaged wire connection. In most rigs, the pump receives 12v power at all times and the relay switches the ground (negative) side of the circuit. 

You stated the pump "didn't work", but did not explain. Are you saying that when the pump switch is ON, the pump won't run even when you open a faucet?  That could be a problem with the pumps internal pressure switch.

The intended operating mode is to leave the switch on at all times and let the pump's internal pressure switch control the actual running of the pump. It will cycle on/off as needed. The only real reason to turn the pump switch off is for storage or other situations where the pump will not be needed for awhile.

Yes Gary, that's correct. The pump wasn't running at all, even with faucet open. The (little red) light at the switch did and does come on when the switch is on. After i left the switch off a while it seemed to work OK again. Thru the night we did leave the switch off except when needed.
Today it's working fine - so far - making it difficult to troubleshoot.
I figured the "click" was a relay simply due to location of the sound.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
urnwholesaler
Back
Top Bottom