Trailer converter and battery condition

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

asgreig

This is the first year I have been able to store the trailer inside (unheated) and so I have not removed the battery nor disconnected it.

I have been using shore power to periodically top up the battery.

My questions are: 1, How long should I keep trailer connected in order to keep battery up? 1 day per week, 1day per month?
2, If I were to use a charger, should i disconnect battery from trailer?

Temps in the area range from -10C to 4C  in the winter

folks -10 C is still abouve zero F about 4 F in fact if I did not blow the math which I did mentally.

Depending on the age of the trailer, or to be more specific the model of the converter.  You might just leave it plugged in.

The myth: Leave it pugged in all the time and it wil kill you batteries.

The fact: There used to be a converter (Magnetec 6300 series) and possibly others that was TRUE.
Those are no more. Magnetek was bought out by Paralax and they made major improvements in regulation. changed the model number too.

So. with most trailers made this centiury. you will likely have eithe ra WFCO or a Parallex The WFCO is a proper 3 stage converter.. the most common failure mode is to not go into bulk mode (but it does absorption and float just fine)

The parallex 7300 is a single stage (The 7300T for Two is a two stage charger Tea for two is a song). It only does float mode.

Float mode you can leave the charger hooked up.... forever.,

Second... If you wish you can add a battery minder.. Such as a Deltran Battery Minder (Got mine at Auto Zone) this is a 1-2 amp Absorption/float mode charger, No need to remove the batteries (just use the disconnect switch) and leave it plugged in all wihter

Mine is the 100 dollar version that not only does 1-2 amps.. but 20 amps to recharge batteries that are run down and 70 amps to jump start your car.. you might wish to get one like it b ecause .. Well it does it all.

I have used it on my car to re-charge/maintain
I used it when the converter died to charge the RV's house batteries
I've not yet jump started with it.. I have a spare battery for that.

Hard to say without knowing the converter/charger make & model. As John said, some of them are battery killers if left on too long, while the good ones nurture the battery nicely. Most trailers have only mediocre charging systems, though, so an hour or tow per day would be a safe amount of time. You can plug the shore cord into an appliance timer set for 1-2 hours daily, or just plug in the RV for a half a day, once per week.

Here's one inexpensive timer. All you need to use it is a 30A/15A adapter plug.
https://www.amazon.com/Sunlite-T200-Electrical-Heavy-Duty-Indoor/dp/B009XS1GJE/

You do not have to disconnect the battery to use an external charger.

Thanks for the response!  :)

There is no permanent power to storage hence the "leave it in"  option is off the table. I run an extension cord to storage and I don't want it buried in snow and ice and run over everyday with cars.

Trailer is an 2007 model with intelligent converter ( stock) Sunnybrook Sunset Creek  279rb. 

I never thought of pulling the main power switch as a way of isolating battery without having to diconnect all the wires from the terminals.

Many Thanks for letting pick the brains on this board

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeep3501
Back
Top Bottom