rvupgradestore.com Composet Products
RV Life Magazine RV Park Reviews RV Trip Wizard

Author Topic: Are you buying the fish you think you are  (Read 1868 times)

KandT

• ---
Are you buying the fish you think you are
« on: February 22, 2018, 10:09:52 AM »
Now I am assuming you buy fish in addition to catching them. 

The USA Today had an article that says about a THIRD of fish purchased at restaurants and supermarkets is mislabeled as some other kind.  I believe it.
2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
American Car Dolly
2009 Accord Toad
It's not a problem.  It's a project!

SeilerBird

• ---
  • Everything I state is my opinion.
Re: Are you buying the fish you think you are
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2018, 10:46:24 AM »
Most of those fish are not fish, they are sharks. If they put shark on the menu no one will order it. So they simply relabel it something else and no one is the wiser. It really isn't a big deal, shark tastes great.
I would like to apologize to anyone I have not yet offended. Please be patient and I will get to you shortly.
Favorite 2017 shots:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/y0HbMU5KYa2hx02E3
My portfolio:
https://goo.gl/photos/Cx4SaYhGfYFShSty7
My Grand Canyon shots:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/Nc1AT8tQp25wJwfm1

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
  • Celebrating 25 years of The RV Forum online.
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2018, 05:03:44 PM »
Back in the day, at the fish & chip shops in the olde country, cod was always served. When north sea cod became less available, they started serving "rock cod", which was dogfish. Most folks didn't notice because of all the heavy batter and the deep frying.
Tom.  Need help? Click the Help button in the toolbar above.

Rene T

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • Every day is payday and every payday I have off
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2018, 05:57:07 PM »
Back in the day, at the fish & chip shops in the olde country, cod was always served. When north sea cod became less available, they started serving "rock cod", which was dogfish. Most folks didn't notice because of all the heavy batter and the deep frying.

and grease which was suppose to absorbed by the cone shaped newspaper it came wrapped in after frying. At least in Scotland.
Rene, Lucille & co-pilot Buddy
AKA  Pep N Mem
2011 Chevy Duramax 2500 HD 4X4
2011 Montana High Country 343RL
From the Granite State of NH
& Florida Snowbird in Lakeland FL

Sun2Retire

• Photo moderator
  • ---
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2018, 05:58:33 PM »
It really isn't a big deal

I'd have to disagree - it's a huge deal. There are two reasons this happens, either the buyer doing the sourcing fails to thoroughly investigate his/her sources or (which I believe is the majority case) it's outright fraud - the substitution of a much cheaper fish/shark, no matter how tasty, for a more expensive one the consumer thinks they are getting, and for which they are paying top dollar. Example, some cheap whitefish (for example, Alaskan Sablefish) substituted for Chilean Sea Bass which I've seen for upwards of $30/lb. at the store, and double or triple that at a restaurant.

It's no different than telling a customer they're getting Michelins when in fact they're getting Hankooks (but paying for Michelins!) Hankooks might be a pretty good tire, but they sell for much less than Michelins and the tire buyer should know what they're getting.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2018, 06:01:22 PM by Sun2Retire »
Scott
Fulltiming in a 2005 Newmar Dutch Star 3810, Spartan, Cat C7 350
Eezrv TPMS, 970W Solar, Tri-Metric Battery monitor
2002 Dodge RAM 1500 Quad Cab toad
Stowmaster towbar & Brakemaster toad braking system

KandT

• ---
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2018, 06:10:02 PM »
I'd have to disagree - it's a huge deal. There are two reasons this happens, either the buyer doing the sourcing fails to thoroughly investigate his/her sources or (which I believe is the majority case) it's outright fraud - the substitution of a much cheaper fish/shark, no matter how tasty, for a more expensive one the consumer thinks they are getting, and for which they are paying top dollar. Example, some cheap whitefish (for example, Alaskan Sablefish) substituted for Chilean Sea Bass which I've seen for upwards of $30/lb. at the store, and double or triple that at a restaurant.

It's no different than telling a customer they're getting Michelins when in fact they're getting Hankooks (but paying for Michelins!) Hankooks might be a pretty good tire, but they sell for much less than Michelins and the tire buyer should know what they're getting.

I agree - it is a big deal when you are lied to about what you are buying.  Also, I like the tire analogy.  You would never really know but you got taken advantage of!
2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
American Car Dolly
2009 Accord Toad
It's not a problem.  It's a project!

Punomatic

• ---
    • Life in Black and Blue
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2018, 06:29:50 PM »
I plead guilty! Years ago, I was traveling in the waters around Vancouver Island by sailboat with several friends who were in their boats. As we transited Barclay Sound from Tofino to Bamfield, I threw a line in the water, hoping to catch a salmon. Instead I caught a dogfish shark about 4' long. I landed it, unhooked it and tossed it in the dinghy I was towing. When we reached our destination, I remembered the shark and got it out of the dink and filleted it.

I soaked the meat in a solution of water and lemon juice for several hours and then breaded it and fried it. It was delicious. So after dinner, I took a platter of it to the other boats and asked if anyone wanted to try some Icelandic cod. They all said yes and were amazed at how good it tasted.

Someone asked, "Where did you get Icelandic cod?" I told them what they had eaten, and they all said, "Ugh! Dogfish?" But then they all had to admit it was delicious. Sometimes, our prejudices keep us from enjoying the finer things in life!
2016 Riverside White Water Retro 195
2014 Nissan Titan SL Crew Cab
DW and me and Pogo (the neurotic terrier-gone to the rainbow bridge) and Lulu (the Moxie with moxie)

kdbgoat

• ---
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2018, 05:55:31 AM »
and grease which was suppose to absorbed by the cone shaped newspaper it came wrapped in after frying. At least in Scotland.

Yes, but my,my,my was it good!
I know you believe you understand what you think I said,
But I am not sure you realize what you heard is not what I meant

2016 Leprechaun 319DS

RedandSilver

• ---
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2018, 07:19:47 PM »
Sometimes, our prejudices keep us from enjoying the finer things in life!

:)) :)) :))
2002 Rexhall Rose Air  Cummins 8.3  350hp
West MI Summer   Central FL Winter

Oldgator73

• ---
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2018, 12:19:17 AM »
When we were at Elgin AFB I ate a lot of shark in Destin. It was good but not near as good as grouper. We don't buy much fish to cook at home and to tell,you the truth not at restaurants either. We have place we go here in Delaware that has some of the best shrimp,I've ever had. And I'm from Florida. At least I think they're shrimp.
Retired Air Force
2016 Winnie Drop
2016 Nissan Frontier

kdbgoat

• ---
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2018, 05:57:04 AM »
Ok, don't keep a place that has good shrimp a secret. Where is it? I love shrimp.  I'm not a big fan of seafood, but I've been told Bigfish Grill in Wilmington is excellent.

2016 Leprechaun 319DS

DearMissMermaid

• ---
  • Read my mis-adventures at DearMissMermaid.Com
    • DearMissMermaid.Com
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2018, 06:22:26 AM »
Best shrimp in the whole wide world is in Beaufort, South Carolina  ;D

http://DearMissMermaid.Com

Living, working. playing  in a 1992 Holiday Rambler Imperial 36' 5th Estate, formerly 8 years 24/7 in a Class C, 1994 Tioga Montara, 28'

Pack half the stuff and twice the cash.
http://dearmissmermaid.blogspot.com/

kdbgoat

• ---
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2018, 07:01:01 AM »
I'll be sure to get some the next time we go there.

2016 Leprechaun 319DS

gwcowgill

• ---
  • Retired USAF, Retired Auto Instructor Dade Cty Sch
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2018, 07:05:55 AM »
Best shrimp in the whole wide world is in Beaufort, South Carolina  ;D
I have to agree that SC has some good shrimp, when we lived in Myrtle Beach, we used to take a castnet and catch our own shrimp, Just north of Dover there is a wonderful crab place I believe it is on little creek, I know how to get there and visit it when in Dover.
2009 Bounder 36B, 2014 Honda CR-V, various grandchildren when school is out. KG4LHS
2014 Honda CRV Toad,
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Toad

Corky

• ---
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2018, 07:52:07 AM »
For shrimp try The Crab Shack or, Coco's Sunset Bar & Grill. Both on Tybee Island, GA.

Corky
'05 Itasca Meridian 36G
í15 Jeep Wrangler Orange toad
'86 Suzuki Samurai Camo dirt toad

kdbgoat

• ---
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2018, 08:23:31 AM »
We have friends in Beaufort, one pretty much lives on the water, the other splits time between water and land. Might have to see if they can ship some fresh shrimp to me. I'm getting hungry ;D

2016 Leprechaun 319DS

Oldgator73

• ---
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2018, 10:01:46 AM »
Ok, don't keep a place that has good shrimp a secret. Where is it? I love shrimp.  I'm not a big fan of seafood, but I've been told Bigfish Grill in Wilmington is excellent.

Seafood City in Felton.
Retired Air Force
2016 Winnie Drop
2016 Nissan Frontier

Oldgator73

• ---
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2018, 10:20:19 AM »
I have to agree that SC has some good shrimp, when we lived in Myrtle Beach, we used to take a castnet and catch our own shrimp, Just north of Dover there is a wonderful crab place I believe it is on little creek, I know how to get there and visit it when in Dover.

Your are thinking about Sambos just outside Dover in Liepsic. We like Seafood City better. It's in Felton. If you are ever traveling up I-95 just north of Jacksonville is Mayport. There is a little restaurant on the water, I believe it's Singlton's Seafood Shack 4728 Ocean Street Jacksonville, Fl 32233. Best shrimp ever!
Retired Air Force
2016 Winnie Drop
2016 Nissan Frontier

gwcowgill

• ---
  • Retired USAF, Retired Auto Instructor Dade Cty Sch
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2018, 10:27:36 AM »
Your are thinking about Sambos just outside Dover in Liepsic. We like Seafood City better. It's in Felton. If you are ever traveling up I-95 just north of Jacksonville is Mayport. There is a little restaurant on the water, I believe it's Singlton's Seafood Shack 4728 Ocean Street Jacksonville, Fl 32233. Best shrimp ever!
I have eaten in both, Leipsic we like the crabs or at least my wife does, SeaFood City we ate at the last trip to Dover and my wife liked it also. I am not a big crab eater my self but I have to keep mama happy. I might have to try the Mayport place when we go north. Is their a FAMCAMP there? I will have to look in the Mil directory.
2009 Bounder 36B, 2014 Honda CR-V, various grandchildren when school is out. KG4LHS
2014 Honda CRV Toad,
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Toad

Oldgator73

• ---
« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2018, 11:26:30 AM »
Just over the Florida/Georgia line is Kings Bay Naval Submarine Base. I did my college internship MWR there in 2002. They were building a FamCamp when we left to go north. It's Eagle Hammock RV Park. They have 62 sites. The sites are situated around a 220 acre lake.
Retired Air Force
2016 Winnie Drop
2016 Nissan Frontier

Rene T

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • Every day is payday and every payday I have off
« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2018, 12:21:09 PM »
Just over the Florida/Georgia line is Kings Bay Naval Submarine Base. I did my college internship MWR there in 2002. They were building a FamCamp when we left to go north. It's Eagle Hammock RV Park. They have 62 sites. The sites are situated around a 220 acre lake.

Years ago, I had a chance to transfer to Kings Bay from Portsmouth Naval SY in NH but backed out at the last minute.
Rene, Lucille & co-pilot Buddy
AKA  Pep N Mem
2011 Chevy Duramax 2500 HD 4X4
2011 Montana High Country 343RL
From the Granite State of NH
& Florida Snowbird in Lakeland FL

Oldgator73

• ---
« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2018, 12:36:49 PM »
Years ago, I had a chance to transfer to Kings Bay from Portsmouth Naval SY in NH but backed out at the last minute.

I wasn't too fond of Kings Bay. But the folks at the base treated us great. It was an unpaid internship but they gave us a nice room in billeting with maid service. I worked for MWR. When the subs came in we would go out and set up activity tents for the sailors families. It was something seeing those subs come into the harbor and turn around. All the crew was on deck and had flowers for their significant others. They ordered the flowers in advance and a tender would deliver them when the sub was so many miles out. I was offered a position there but declined. We ended up at Dover AFB where I did take a position at the Education & Training Office.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2018, 12:38:37 PM by Oldgator73 »
Retired Air Force
2016 Winnie Drop
2016 Nissan Frontier

Jeff in Ferndale Wa

• ---
« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2018, 02:07:47 PM »

Not sure what you are thinking of, but Alaskan Sablefish(aka Black Cod) is not a cheap whitefish. It is the most expensive of Alaskan groundfish. Alaskan Pacific Cod and Pollock have been known to be used as substitutes for other fish.
2007 Springdale 260
2008 Ford F250
2004 Honda Goldwing GL1800
Rampage Motorcycle Lift

Sun2Retire

• Photo moderator
  • ---
« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2018, 03:02:41 PM »
Not sure what you are thinking of, but Alaskan Sablefish(aka Black Cod) is not a cheap whitefish. It is the most expensive of Alaskan groundfish. Alaskan Pacific Cod and Pollock have been known to be used as substitutes for other fish.

Yes I misspoke, however my point was that misrepresentation of any kind is fraud.
Scott
Fulltiming in a 2005 Newmar Dutch Star 3810, Spartan, Cat C7 350
Eezrv TPMS, 970W Solar, Tri-Metric Battery monitor
2002 Dodge RAM 1500 Quad Cab toad
Stowmaster towbar & Brakemaster toad braking system

Sam Bar

• ---
« Reply #24 on: April 20, 2018, 07:42:04 PM »
Too bad. Itís nice up here in Maine. My wifeís grandfather was scheduled to go on the Thresher, but at the last minute gave up his post to a friend who needed extra pay. The rest is history.
Too Much Of Everything Is Just Enough!

Jerry Garcia
2006 Crossroads Zinger 27' tt
1995 Chateau TT (17' of Bliss)
Tundra TRD Off Road 5.7 ltr 4wd
More fishing poles than skill
Kittery Maine / Bryson City NC