What kind of Class A do you have and have you had any problems the last 2 years?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
M

Mysteryriders

If you could just answer these questions for me.  You can copy/paste your answers if you like.

1.  What year and brand and length of class A do you have?

.2.  Have you had any major problems in the last 2 years?

3. Is full timing everything you expected?

4. What is your favorite destination so far?

Those questions won't give you any answer. This is too small a group to form any serious conclusions. The brand of the motorhome is meaningless. What does matter is the quality and amount of care and maintenance they receive. You can make a million dollar RV become a pile of junk by simply ignoring normal maintenance and driving it like a rental.
I full timed it for ten years in 5 different RVs, As, a B and Cs. It was one of the best things I did in my life. Saw all 48 states and all 46 national parks. My favorite destination was the Grand Canyon.

2015 Itasca Meridian 36m. This gives us the ability to fit in most state and national parks. It is also my favorite floor plan.

2.  Gas or Diesel?
              We have a diesel now, but have had gas class A's. Diesel is nicer for us with mountain driving while pulling a car.

3.  Have you had any major problems in the last 2 years?
              We have had an ac unit go bad, but I don't consider that major. For others the cost of a new ac unit may be major.

4.  Is full timing everything you expected?
              We are not full timers, and probably will never be. I enjoy a sticks & bricks home too.

5.  What is your favorite destination so far?
                We love all destinations in state and national parks. Like Fort Pickens National Park in Florida on the Gulf of Mexico. Or Big Bone Lick
                State park in Kentucky. Our destinations need to have places to visit in the area because we are very active , and not sitters. Yet.

These questions will be answered very differently by everyone here. One persons likes are another persons nightmare.
Some of the questions you want to examine are what are your specific wants in an RV life style and or adventure?
What is your tolerance level or financial position when your RV has problems big or small?
The list goes on and on.

Thank you for your input.  I expect a lot of different answers and that's ok.. I'm just a little nervous about the big investment.

I agree with Tom that your posted questions won't be much help. If you provide what you hope to get out of RVing and a rough idea of your budget, perhaps what vehicle(s) you have now that might be able to tow (or perhaps be towed, such as a Jeep), we might be able to help you narrow in on what might suit you. Are you wanting to camp in the desert far from everyone, or perhaps go to national and state parks, tourist attractions, etc. Or maybe you want it as a portable hotel to visit friends/relatives.

One thing that you can certainly do is to visit RV dealers and look through the rigs they have on the lot -- motorhomes, 5th wheel trailers, travel trailers -- then sped some time in them pretending to go through a day's living: cooking, making the bed, hanging up clothes, entertaining company, entertaining yourself(s) on a rainy day (or two or three in a row), watching TV, talking, reading, etc.  That may help you come up with questions to ask and/or more things to think about. Also, read the many articles in our library above (lots of stuff for new folks and experienced alike), as well as roaming through the various postings here.

I'm sure others will pipe in here with more thoughts.

Yet a third that says no poll of random people will help you. You need to discover what floor plans and features you need. Then you can look at brands that have those features and floor plans. Do you plan on full-timing without any previous RV experience? That?s a big jump. I highly recommend you rent an RV, probably a Class C, just to get a feel for it, preferably for at least a week. A number of folks end up discovering they don?t like RVing as much as they thought they would.

And a fourth, with an explanation. One might find that a 2005 Acme brand coach, one owner, stored in a heated garage, perfectly maintained with all records and all work accomplished by skilled and competent technicians yields a completely different result than a more average 2005 Acme brand, stored outside, second or third owner, a fair amount of deferred maintenance along with work done by less skilled all the way up to incompetent technicians and/or owners. The results would be night and day. In one case the current owner would say "Wow! My 2005 Acme brand is the best coach out there, get one!" In the other case you'd hear, "Stay away, worst coach ever!"

Q1.  What year and brand and length of class A do you have?
A 2005 Damon Intruder 377@  37'7"

Q2.  Gas or Diesel?
A Gas

Q3.  Have you had any major problems in the last 2 years?
As this RV is over 12 years old yes. I have, Blown tires (Replaced with used and need to put on new) I have a slide that has a wall that has "Fallen" (Will be buying bolts and fixing it tomorrow weather permitting) I've had to replace the water heater tank, converter and water pump.

Nothing over 1,000 save tires, and most repairs under 250 with me doing the labor.

Q4.  Is full timing everything you expected?
A: Yes and no.. It was before my wife died. now it's a bit lonely, but I hope to fix that.

Q5.  What is your favorite destination so far?
Hard to say there are so many. Tahquamenon falls (Northern Michigan)
Niagra Falls. Las Vegas. Quartsite,  Cape Cod, over the years (many when I pulled a trailer before I went full time) I've been from the atlantic to the Pacific and I have found that this country has only 50 Most beautiful states.  I've even been to Washington DC (Which is only half a state, one senator).

Sure I will play,

2002 Safari Trek 2830

None, though I bought it only about 18 months, at 74,000 miles on the coach that was 7,700 miles ago

I don't full time, though I did spend about 70 nights in the coach in the first year, longest trip was right at a month and 4200 miles.

Probably Yellowstone, though the same trip also included watching the big solar eclipse from a remote spot about 15 miles out of Douglas, Wyoming.  It really is hard to say, I have enjoyed different places in different ways.

Thank you Isaac!  That's just what I'm looking for!  Happy Motorhomjng

You should not Evan use the word "investment" in the same sentence with an RV of any kind.. They depreciated like a falling rock and require ongoing maintenance, used or not, to even hold a fraction of their worth..Full timing in one accelerates the depreciation
of the unit and shows in many ways when time to trade or sell.>>>Dan  ( I am not "down" on RV ownership like it may sound,,Ive owned several over the 40 years of traveling all over the US and Canada in motorhomes and still do..)

2017 Tiffin Allegro Bus  40'

No, I have owned this 7 months. But this is my second rig from Tiffin. I had the last one 4 years.

Yes, and more. One of the most fulfilling experiences I have ever had.

Everyplace between the two coasts. Weather and the time of year drives what the best locations are. That's where "Snowbirds" come from.

Utclmjmpr said:
You should not Evan use the word "investment" in the same sentence with an RV of any kind.. They depreciated like a falling rock and require ongoing maintenance, used or not, to even hold a fraction of their worth..Full timing in one accelerates the depreciation
of the unit and shows in many ways when time to trade or sell.>>>Dan  ( I am not "down" on RV ownership like it may sound,,Ive owned several over the 40 years of traveling all over the US and Canada in motorhomes and still do..)

Uh - Could not agree more - RV's are only behind boats in terms of "investments" of a financial kind.  Can I give you a quick example??

I planning a trip to Fort Wilderness (Disney's RV Park).  Fuel to get there and back will be about $900-$1000.  This trip we are not towing our Accord so we have a car rental when we get there.  It is $170 a night for a premium space (You could find a place for less than $45 though but we are going with friends yada yada yada.  I probably should get two new chassis batts but seem are limping by on using the Aux. battery switch but they will be $100 a piece and I will need them soon.

I spent about $3600 for 6 new Michellins when I bought the used coach (you could get cheaper tires though but I would like to keep these tires 7-8 years.  It takes a ridiculous amount of oil and needs changed every 10-12,000 miles for the diesel. 

There are tons of things to break and you will need to be learn to be handy because the dealers are a pain to get to and in and out of even if you are willing to pay their price.

I won't go into constant maintenance like checking 6 tire pressures frequently and then pulling batts out to keep them charged if you can't keep it at your house and have to $37 a month to store it at an RV storage lot.  Oh insurance isn't free either.

Now the great side.  My family and I will forget the pain in the rump and remember the great times we have had everywhere from Florida to Wyoming - and we are just starting. 

I love it.  Mine is a 36 foot class A.  It is a great size for us right now and I bought it with 15k miles on it. 

Overall, it can be a blessing or a curse.  If you panic over every problem then maybe not for you.  I would never buy an RV that left me financially strapped because you will have lots of extra bills to pay.

Enjoy if it is right for you - Oh and I LOVE boats too.  That saddest thing to see though is someone who gets in over their head on any toys - They end up losing their rump and not having any fun.

2013 Winnebago Adventurer 37F

Slide pump and motor, Awning motor,  not really major both around a $1k and covered by ext warranty

I agree with Marty-Yes, one of the most fulfilling experiences we've have ever had.

Again have to agree with Marty-Everyplace between the two coasts. This is a beautiful country. Especially Colorado in the summer...and Utah in the spring...and New England or Virginia in the fall. We have five kids (Las Vegas, Colorado, NH, DC and VA) and try to spend a month with each and visit everything in between.

sounds wonderful!  I really want to see the Fall colors.  Because of being in Education, we never got to vacation in the Fall.  I am so looking forward to Fall on the East Coast.  I know we will have problems, and expect them.  I like hearing that there are no regrets.  We have worked for 35 years and are excited to see what this United States has to show us.

Back
Top Bottom