Slide Topper Replacement: Trim to fit vs. Hemmed to size

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Foto-n-T

My poor slide topper on the living room slide has finally succumbed to age, wind and general abuse. The topper is a Carefree of Colorado and was installed ten years ago so I'm quite satisfied with how long it managed to survive.

In researching replacements I've stumbled upon "trim to fit". These replacements are hemmed only on the retaining bead sides and need to be cut down (trim to fit) to the appropriate width which in my case is 149 inches. I can pick up a custom cut and fully hemmed replacement from Tough Tops for $176 or a trim to fit for about $110. My first impression is to run not walk away from a trim to fit unhemmed topper replacement but I thought I'd throw this out there and see if anybody had any real world experience with these. I'd also like to hear from people who have used the Tough Top 15oz replacements.

Any thoughts?

Tuff Top located in  SW Waahington state made mine, 3 for a total price around 450 dollars.  Fit like a dream, were reasonable to instal.  Just measure and order.  Be sure to have two ladders and a helper to instal the new one.

No experience, but my BIG question for the "trim to fit" is what prevents fraying from destroying the topper in the first strong wind?

Yeah, pretty much my initial reaction as well. According to the manufacturer the type of vinyl they use doesn't fray but do I really want to be the test dummy.

If I didn't plan on owning this thing for maybe the rest of my life maybe. That's not the case though. I just spent two grand on redoing the floors simply because I plan on keeping for a while. Boy did I get an education on RV flooring and carpet on that adventure. The original carpet in these things is horrible to say the least and they used foam padding below it, what a mess!!

The Tough Tops replacement I bought for one of my Carefree toppers wasn't hemmed on the sides either. It was cut to fit, but no hem. I wasn't real happy about that, but it's vinyl, so nothing to unravel.

My Carefree SOK II toppers were woven acrylic fabric. That kind of fabric needs to be hemmed.  My wife re-hemmed a couple of them, sides as well as the bead edge, but the big one had stretched in the middle until it sagged so we decided to replace it.

Back
Top Bottom