Accident on HWY 190 in East Texas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Good thing nobody was sitting on the couch. Not much structure to protect you unless you are sitting in the cab.

I know that bridge, it is only about 60 miles from where I live, it is narrow, and I hate driving my coach across it, I always try to time my approach so I don't have to pass oncoming traffic while on the bridge, though that can be difficult (there is an earthen causeway on both sides of the bridge with I think a 50 mph speed limit).

From a small world coincidence my wife and I were in an accident on Hwy 190 here in western Louisiana Wednesday night.  A teenager driving a Yukon ran a red light and nearly broadsided us.

here is a photo I took of my wife's car yesterday at the body shop, it is likely totaled, we are both ok, just a bit sore

Attachments

• flex2.jpg
    flex2.jpg
    276 KB · Views: 55
Glad you're OK, Issac.  Looks like it was a close call. 

We lived 5 miles East of that bridge for 25 years and it was pretty darned narrow. Accidents on 190 crossing the lake and the bridge have happened regularly.

My only accident near there was a deer who was running down the road late one night just east of the bridge.  With water on both sides of the road, he ran out in front of me.

Isaac-1 said:
I know that bridge, it is only about 60 miles from where I live, it is narrow, and I hate driving my coach across it, I always try to time my approach so I don't have to pass oncoming traffic while on the bridge, though that can be difficult (there is an earthen causeway on both sides of the bridge with I think a 50 mph speed limit).

From a small world coincidence my wife and I were in an accident on Hwy 190 here in western Louisiana Wednesday night.  A teenager driving a Yukon ran a red light and nearly broadsided us.

here is a photo I took of my wife's car yesterday at the body shop, it is likely totaled, we are both ok, just a bit sore
Glad you are ok.
Bill

Thanks, yeah, if we would have been there just a fraction of a second sooner it would have been much worse.  The impact occurred just a fraction of an inch forward of the drivers side front wheel.  It was just like one of those scenes that have been so popular in movies and TV shows the last decade or so in which the car getting broadsided out of nowhere in the dark.  The accident happened just after dark and it had been raining a few minutes earlier so the pavement was wet, and the light had been green for at least 30 seconds when we went through it at a mostly blind intersection, going through I saw a flash of headlights to our left, then BANG, the next thing I know we go from facing west on Hwy 190 to facing north on Hwy 171 in the middle of the intersection, then I see our light  over my left shoulder change to yellow then red.  The guy that hit us must have been going 30-35 mph when he blew through the red light, I think it is a 25 mph zone, but everyone speeds through there.

To get back to the original topic, these sort of accidents make me glad we have a class A where at least we are elevated a bit above the height of most smaller cars and trucks on the road.

Not just likely totaled, that is totally totaled. That front clip is where 90% of the structure is and it "flexed" so you could live. The fact that you were not badly injured says a lot about todays vehicles. Not too many years ago that may have been fatal. Glad you are OK.

On a humorous note, with the front tire exposed like that with the fender shifted over I noticed that the tread was almost gone on the front tires, so I guess we will likely get to save the cost of new tires out of the deal.  One thing that surprised both of us about the accident is that the air bags did not deploy.

Back
Top Bottom