EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: Going full time for the summer .  (Read 433 times)

Rando79

Going full time for the summer .
« on: February 22, 2018, 09:44:04 PM »
So sometime around xmas 2017 a good friend made the wife and i a deal we could not refuse.
his well loved 1983 rockwood 26 foot class c rv, brand new drivetrain, new portable 4000 gen, and a new roof too.
this turned out to be fortuitous as we are now going to use it on our lake lot for the summer. now to get to the point i need a new door and was curious if anyone thought i could strip the old broken and swollen door and rebuild the core  of it and put it back on?
or should i continue searching for a replacement instead ? any help or advice would be really appreciated.   

Punomatic

• ---
    • Life in Black and Blue
Re: Going full time for the summer .
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2018, 09:04:12 AM »
i need a new door and was curious if anyone thought i could strip the old broken and swollen door and rebuild the core  of it and put it back on?
or should i continue searching for a replacement instead ?
Interesting question. I guess it depends on your level of mechanical and fabricating skills. If you are comfortable with the rebuilding process, I think you might find satisfaction in doing your own repairs. You will end up with a better understanding of how your coach is constructed, and theoretically, with a door you can trust.

OTOH, the search for a replacement door for a 35 year old coach might be an interesting adventure in itself. Whichever route you choose, I would get cracking. Summer is not far away, when you are facing a deadline.
2016 Riverside White Water Retro 195
2014 Nissan Titan SL Crew Cab
DW and me and Pogo (the neurotic terrier-gone to the rainbow bridge) and Lulu (the Moxie with moxie)

kdbgoat

• ---
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2018, 09:18:53 AM »
Here's a link from the "resources" button above that lists RV salvage yards if it would be of any help to you.

http://www.rvforum.net/SMF_forum/index.php?action=Parts

If looking for a new door, they are made by Lippert: https://www.lci1.com/lci-entry-doors 
and Dexter: https://www.dexteraxle.com/dexterdoor/products/rv-doors
among others I'm sure.
A quick internet search will find quite a few new for sale. To me, I think it would be a lot of effort in redong a door for a swollen core, and would go for new if possible, but that's just me.
I know you believe you understand what you think I said,
But I am not sure you realize what you heard is not what I meant

2016 Leprechaun 319DS

Rando79

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2018, 02:58:22 PM »
i have looked at a few places and i watch craigslist for about a 500 mile radius.
it is around 200 for a new one and i am having a hard time finding a door without a curve
at the top. i figure if i find one  close enough to drive to for the right price it would work out about the same
cost wise. then again for what i payed to buy the rv 200 is a paltry sum to have a good door that will last.
thank you both for your input. im handy with anything mechanical or electrical but not so much on construction
so it will be a challenge for sure. but that s part of the fun!

Hosted by Over The Network