Toad question?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wijames2002

I've never tower a car before but I'm assuming that you set the front wheels straight and lock the steering wheel while towing. Is this correct? Also, how is the best way to line up the toad for hook-up?

wijames2002 said:
I've never tower a car before but I'm assuming that you set the front wheels straight and lock the steering wheel while towing. Is this correct? Also, how is the best way to line up the toad for hook-up?

No, the steering wheel must remain unlocked so the wheels can caster in the turns. In most cases this means there must be a key in the ignition. As far as lining it up, the towbars have adjustment capability for hookup, so you just have to get the toad close to the right spot.

Brave Willy said:
4 down the steering wheel needs to be unlocked but on a dolly the streering needs to be locked

I have never towed on a dolly but I believe the procedure varies, depending upon whether the dolly wheels caster or not. The instructions for some dollies I have run across indicate the steering wheel of the toad must be unlocked. Those with dolly towing experience can give a better informed answer.

wijames2002 said:
Also, how is the best way to line up the toad for hook-up?

Most tow bars stay on the motorhome between hookups and and have extendable arms.  You drive the toad up to the motorhome, then extend the arms to reach the toad.  Like in horseshoes, close is good enough.

When you pull forward, the arms will extend and lock in place.  Whenever there's enough room, I like to do a little slalom move as I pull forward, turning first one way and then the other, to ensure both arms are fully extended and locked.  This also brings the toad within view of my side mirror, making it easy to see that the steering wheel is unlocked and tracking the turns.

One trick I learned here...  For the toad, get a key cut at the local hardware store, but DO NOT program the key.  Now it will physically unlock doors and the steering column, but is totally useless to a thief to start the car.  No need to remove the key from the toad every time you stop.

I liked my first towed. Remco Axle Lock.. I can just see some Thief hopping in, Cranking that sucker up, Putting it gear, Pressing on the pedal.. and going to jail cause the car did not move.

wijames2002, every car is different and you will find towing instructions in the specific car's manual.  It may be under something like Recreational towing.  Be aware that towing has two modes - one is where the car is being towed and the other is where the car is doing the towing - so it's important to find the correct instructions.  The reason we can't give you a specific answer is that manufacturer towing "rules" change.  For example, just about all Jeeps used to be towable but that is no longer the case.  Jeep changed the transmissions and some models are no longer towable four-down.  Our 2005 Acura MDX is towable but not after about 2007 because they changed the hardware about 2006.

ArdraF

Wijames, many cars cannot be 4 wheels down.  We have a Cherokee and Patriot both cannot.  You need to find out for your specific car. There are some dollies like ours that requires lock the steering wheel.  Other dollies like Acme does requires unlocked steering wheel.  If you get a dolly, you need to read the instructions.

RVRAC said:
Wijames, many cars cannot be 4 wheels down.  We have a Cherokee and Patriot both cannot.  You need to find out for your specific car. There are some dollies like ours that requires lock the steering wheel.  Other dollies like Acme does requires unlocked steering wheel.  If you get a dolly, you need to read the instructions.

Thanks. I just purchased a 2018 Kia Soul with standard shift and I checked before I purchased to make sure it could be towed 4 down. I just installed the base plate three days ago so we'll see how it goes.

wijames2002 said:
Thanks. I just purchased a 2018 Kia Soul with standard shift and I checked before I purchased to make sure it could be towed 4 down. I just installed the base plate three days ago so we'll see how it goes.

Emphasis added

You sir.. Are a WISE MAN.. for the reason highlighted.

Wihames, Patriot CAN be towed 4 down, must have manual transmission.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Davidomero
Back
Top Bottom