Florida to Louisiana to Texas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hedhunter9

Hi All,
  We are heading down to Daytona for Bike week, then race Vintage MX at Reddick the following weekend.
after that we have 3 weeks to spend before having to be in Grand Cane Louisiana.  Then a week later we are
Racing in Texas (east of Dallas).    After that we may spend another week or so in Texas before heading back
home to Indiana.

So.  Suggestions for things to see/do in between the Florida/Louisiana and route suggestions... I hear so much about
the dreaded I10 route, not sure if we want to do that, or just hit other backroads  and go up and across Mississippi or not.

Bob

We just did the trip from Cape Coral to Montgomery/Lake Conroe over Thanksgiving for a sibling reunion.

Our favorite stop was Reunion Lake RV Resort. We drove the toad down to New Orleans a couple of times and had a blast. Plus the Reunion Lake RV Resort was very very nice. I believe a 10/10/10.

Ken

As I see it you have 2 options from Florida to Grand Cane, Louisiana (note I live on Hwy 171 about about 100 miles south of Grand Cane)

I-49 in Louisiana is a very good highway, generally the pavement is in good to very good condition, and the traffic is light compared to I-10 or I-20.

As to the rest, the only real logical options are

Option 1, I-10 from Florida to I-12 just inside the Louisiana line, across to meet back up with I-10 again in Baton Rouge, bypassing New Orleans, then I-10 to I-49 in Lafayette and up to Hwy 84 in Mansfield LA, then up Hwy 171 to Grand Cane. 

From that go on up Hwy 171 to Shreveport, take the loop around to I-20 and on towards Dallas.

Option 2,  Take I-10 to Tallahassee, Hwy 27 up to Hwy 84, then Hwy 84 all the way across Alabama, Mississippi and on to Mansfield...  (though cutting through through Alexandria LA and on up I-49 may be faster than the zig zag path Hwy 84 takes through Louisiana)

I have driven much of the route on Hwy 84 in the last couple of years, at least from the Tallahassee area to Natchez, MS, and the part around Mansfield.  For the most part it is a good highway, much of it 4 lane.

As to things to do, what sort of things are you interested in and how much time do you have?

p.s. if you need an RV park to stay at near Grand Cane, we spent the night at a small mom and pop place just off I-49 in Ajax about 30 miles from Grand Cane last spring, nothing great, but they had a small private lake, cheap picnic tables at the sites, and a few sampling trees that may be nice shade trees in 20 years.  http://www.ajaxcountrylivinrv.com/  It made a good stop for overnight, though reviews complain about a nearby sawmill, it was not in operation when we were there, the place was mostly empty on the random Thursday night we were there, maybe 5 or 6 of what appeared to be long term residents, one of which had a truck with no muffler who arrived at about 2 am, and 3 or 4 people that also appeared to be passing through.  If you go through Natchez, consider http://www.riverviewrvpark.com/ just on the Louisiana side of the river, and depending on your dates, you may want to check out the Natchez Spring Pilgrimage http://www.natchezpilgrimage.com/

roadtrippers.com is a fairly good reference for finding points of interest along a route.

What i remember along that route....
there's a car museum in Tallahassee area.  I've never been but it looks to be substantial.  As a motorcycle guy you might be interested in that....

There's a really great (probably the best in the world) naval aviation museum in Pensacola if you are at all interested in aviation...

Mobile offers the USS Alabama battleship museum, along with a WW2 submarine and pretty good aviation museum

biloxi, new orleans....

Baton Rouge has a nice little river front park, with a destroyer set up as a museum ship.

Shreveport has a nice little shopping area down on the river...bass pro shops, etc...

and in Dallas, we did the Perot Science museum....very good

We just made the trip from New Orleans to Central Florida.  We left I-10 and stopped at the KOA in Lillian, AL (just across the bridge from Pensacola, FL )  and camped for four days.  While there, we went to the National Naval Air Museum in Pensacola, and saw the USS Alabama and the USS Drum in Mobile.  Both were very impressive.  Other that that diversion, we made the trip from Arizona here entirely on I-10, and the roads were good to very good all the way.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Davidomero
Back
Top Bottom