EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: Death Valley rally November 4-11 2018  (Read 2440 times)

UTTransplant

• ---
  • Cedar Falls, Iowa
Death Valley rally November 4-11 2018
« on: February 23, 2018, 04:58:11 PM »
Kevin and I just love Death Valley, and we have been lucky enough to get there during the 49ers Encampment for the last two years. I am organizing a RVForum rally for others interested. The camping area has no hookups, though central water and sewer dump are available. Price for the campground (Sunset) is $14/night or $7 with a senior pass. The average temps at this time of year are about 80 as a high and 45-50 as a low. However we have been there with temps in the 90s and lows around 40 (not at the same time though!). Generator hours are generous. As for activities there will be lots and lots of music, chataqua presentations by historical re-enactors, some primitive road adventures (mostly suitable for SUVs), gorgeous views, an art show, vendors, etc. Rally attendees will get together each day for a Happy Hour at our campsite with our propane fire pit (no wood or charcoal fires allowed). The website for the 49ers can be found at http://www.deathvalley49ers.org/ While you donít have to join, I highly encourage attendees to do so. They do a lot of good with the money through grants to the park and scholarships.

Please reply to this message if you are interested.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2018, 12:41:05 PM by UTTransplant »
Pam and Kevin plus Lily the cat
2018 Tiffin 37PA
2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk toad
http://toobusyforwork.com

shorts

• ---
  • Exploring the USA!
Re: Death Valley rally November 4-11 2018
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2018, 09:03:02 AM »
We donít quite have our route planned out yet other than knowing we want to do Quartzite in January but this sounds really interesting. We could probably put it on our schedule and then find other things in the area to check out before we head to Arizona  8)

Vicki
Vicki and Mark Shorter
2015 Forrest River Blue Ridge RS3600 5er
2015 Dodge Ram 3500 dually 4wd
On the road fulltime!

UTTransplant

• ---
  • Cedar Falls, Iowa
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2018, 10:28:51 AM »
Even if it just comes up with two rigs, I will go ahead and put it on the calendar as a rally. Look for more information and a sign up in the next few hours.
2018 Tiffin 37PA

jackiemac

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2018, 10:32:47 AM »
We leave the US on 31st October and had considered extending our stay to include the 49ers but it means delaying our arrival next year so decided against it.  We will definitely visit Death Valley again as it is just fantastic.  There is a Facebook group dedicated to Death Valley and it is definitely giving us some ideas of places to go that we haven't seen yet.  We met a couple last year that go to this rally every year and love it.
Jackie n Steve - Happy Scottish Travellers

2017 Heartland Sundance 288rls
2016 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4L Hemi

Travelling in US until 30th October 2018

Larry N.

• ---
  • Westminster, CO
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2018, 11:20:13 AM »
We're looking at it, but it may be a while before a decision is made -- sounds very interesting, however.
Larry and Mary Ann N.
2016 Newmar Ventana 3709 -ISB6.7 XT 360HP
2015 Wrangler Sahara Unlimited toad
Formerly: Trailmanor 2720SL, Bounder, Beaver
  de N8GGG

UTTransplant

• ---
  • Cedar Falls, Iowa
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2018, 12:41:58 PM »
We're looking at it, but it may be a while before a decision is made -- sounds very interesting, however.
Bring your guitar Larry! There are some nice opportunities for musicians.
2018 Tiffin 37PA

SeilerBird

• ---
  • Everything I state is my opinion.
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2018, 12:55:32 PM »
I am jealous, I love Death Valley and would love to attend but it is way too far away from me and my RV is now stationary. I will be thinking of you lucky people.
I would like to apologize to anyone I have not yet offended. Please be patient and I will get to you shortly.
Favorite 2017 shots:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/y0HbMU5KYa2hx02E3
My portfolio:
https://goo.gl/photos/Cx4SaYhGfYFShSty7
My Grand Canyon shots:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/Nc1AT8tQp25wJwfm1

Old_Crow

• ---
  • Former Phantom Fixer
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2018, 02:25:39 PM »
Hmm, we'll be hosting near Bishop, Ca, so only like 178 miles away.  Not sure yet when the campground closes, but I would think somewhere around the 1st of November.  Might just mosey that way.
Not planning anything this far out.  Did that last year and changed every single plan we made...twice.
Wally Crow
Retired 30 year ASE Master Auto Tech
Y2K Bounder 36S F53
'03 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

Lou Schneider

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2018, 05:35:19 PM »
I generally don't plan that far ahead  ;) but since my winter digs are nearby in Pahrump, there's a good chance I'll be able to wander over!

I almost went to the 49er Encampment this year, but when I made a day trip in late September to view a presentation at the Visitor's Center about the Scotty's Castle flood recovery, Furnace Creek Ranch and the Inn were completely torn up by construction and the rangers weren't sure Sunset Campground would open at all this year except for the contracted week of the Encampment.

Things should be back to normal by November, although at this point it looks like Scotty's Castle and maybe Mesquite Campground in the northern part of the park will remain closed until 2020.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2018, 05:49:52 PM by Lou Schneider »

Seon

• ---
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2018, 08:19:11 PM »
It sure sounds interesting.  Got to talk to the wife if she'd be interested.
Itasca 27' Spirit
Lake Camanche, CA

Wendy

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2018, 04:10:20 PM »
We havenít starting planning that far out but weíll keep an eye on those dates.

Wendy & Mike, former DEVA employees

P.s. Scottyís wonít reopen until 2020 at the earliest but they are doing weekend Scottys Castle Flood Recovery Tours and the tour is WELL worth the cost.
Wendy, Mike, and Gordon
~We can't be lost because we don't care where we're going~
Here's where we are http://map.datastormusers.com/user2.cfm?user=2276
2015 Allegro Ooen Road
1973 Sunshine Yellow VW Bug

Steve N Dee

• ---
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2018, 02:29:34 PM »
Pam:
   This looks really promising for us.  I am already off work that week.  Death Valley has been a bucket list place for me.  Although we live in So Cal, we have never been to Death Valley.  It would be great to see you guys again after meeting you at the Yosemite Rally last May.  After tax season, I will be able to firm things up.  Hope it works out.  Thanks for organizing this!

Steve
Steve & Dee - Racing towards retirement
Fritz & DJ, (the boys)
2005 Winnebago Journey 34H Diesel Pusher
2013 Ford Edge SEL AWD Toad
Burbank, CA

On time.....is when we get there

UTTransplant

• ---
  • Cedar Falls, Iowa
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2018, 04:46:52 PM »
We are in the process of selling a house in Utah, buying a house in Iowa, and ordering a motorhome. I am therefore delinquent in summarizing status. I know most havenít really decided, but having a list keeps me organized. I will update this list with adds, confirms, and deletes. If there is any data to update, either PM me or post it here.

Current attendee status:
Pam and Kevin Stalnaker     UTTransplant      Utah (but soon to be Iowa)      Confirmed
Vicki and Mark Shorter        shorts                Full timers somewhere             Maybe
Larry and Maryanne N.        Larry N.             Westminster, CO                      Maybe
Wally Crow.                        Old_Crow                                                        Maybe
Lou Schneider.                    Lou Schneider     Pahrump, NV                          Maybe
Wendy and Mike                 Wendy.                                                            Maybe
Steve and Dee.                   Steve N Dee.      Burbank, CA                           Maybe
2018 Tiffin 37PA

cadee2c

• ---
  • If we couldn't laugh, we would all go insane.
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2018, 10:00:34 PM »
Put Bob and I down as a definitely a probability, possibly, maybe.  Ive always wanted to see Death Valley, so I will put it on the calendar. :D
Caryl- Pilot
Bob- Navigator
Mister Hank - homeland security
Buddy the Dog-  Soul Mutt, forever in our hearts.

1997 Holiday Rambler Endeavor
2010 Jeep Liberty

Follow your arrow, wherever it points

InVogue

• ---
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2018, 03:29:25 PM »
We have always wanted to do the 49'er encampment....so I guess putting Burnetta and I(Dwight from Ventura, Ca) down as maybe's can't hurt. I'm sitting here thinking what do I have going on in November...nothing is coming to mind. LOL
96 Vogue Prima Vista
Our Girl- Mollie, Cavalier, Humphrie our Mini Schnauzer and Georgie our Wire Haired Weiner dog.  RIP our little Rubie and Sweet Maggie and Cassie

UTTransplant

• ---
  • Cedar Falls, Iowa
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2018, 04:11:29 PM »
Since I canít seem to edit the last attendee post, I will just update in a new post. Current status is
Current attendee status:
Pam and Kevin Stalnaker     UTTransplant      Utah (but soon to be Iowa)      Confirmed
Vicki and Mark Shorter        shorts                Full timers somewhere             Maybe
Larry and Mary Ann N.        Larry N.             Westminster, CO                      Maybe
Wally Crow.                        Old_Crow                                                        Maybe
Lou Schneider.                    Lou Schneider     Pahrump, NV                          Maybe
Wendy and Mike                  Wendy.                                                           Maybe
Steve and Dee                    Steve N Dee.       Burbank, CA                          Maybe
Caryl and Bob                     Cadee2c             Fulltimers somewhere             Probable
Burnetta and Dwight            InVogue             Ventura, CA                           Probable
Bill and friend                      photog                                                           Maybe
« Last Edit: March 08, 2018, 10:54:59 AM by UTTransplant »
2018 Tiffin 37PA

Photog

• ---
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2018, 09:49:58 AM »
I haven't been there in while.  Put us down as a maybe.
Bill
2004 Winnebago Adventurer 38R

John Beard

• ---
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2018, 04:15:10 PM »
Definite possibility of a firm maybe here too.
John & Susan
2018 Dynamax DX3 37TS, 350 HP/1,000 ftlbs torque
2015 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon/2005 TJ
Air Force One Brake System
Northwest Las Vegas, NV

InVogue

• ---
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2018, 10:51:23 PM »
Just wondering how early one should plan on arriving to secure a site. If the event starts on Nov 4th, would getting there a day or two early be good enough? Since we've never been and campgrounds are first come first serve....I'm sure it gets crowded and it looks like some Death Valley campgrounds will remain closed due to damage from flooding last year.
96 Vogue Prima Vista
Our Girl- Mollie, Cavalier, Humphrie our Mini Schnauzer and Georgie our Wire Haired Weiner dog.  RIP our little Rubie and Sweet Maggie and Cassie

Wendy

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2018, 11:35:31 PM »
The only campground thatís closed due to flood damage is Mesquite on the far north side of the park, and it should be open in the fall if not sooner. Years ago, all the campgrounds would fill up a week before the 49ers official dates but thatís not the case any more. Last year, Sunset campground had spaces the whole Encampment. Furnace  Creek campground will be totally booked up with reservations days after the reservations open up.
Wendy, Mike, and Gordon
2015 Allegro Ooen Road

UTTransplant

• ---
  • Cedar Falls, Iowa
« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2018, 09:51:37 AM »
I understand the anxiousness of whether a spot will be available. We felt the same when we first came to the Encampment two years ago. However Sunset never fills. If the main part is full, they open up overflow areas. When those fill, they open up more! The place is absolutely huge, and even during busy Encampments (like 2 years ago) there were spots always available in the 4 or 5 overflow areas. Last year was much smaller with the uncertainties, and only two overflow areas were opened. The NPS campground with reservations (Furnace Creek) and the private campground with reservations (Fiddlerís) are probably already reserved, but there will be space in Sunset.

As for getting there early, Kevin and I will be arriving early, mostly because we love the place and partly to try to get a spot with enough space for folks to hang out. You really donít need to come early to find a spot. Note that this isnít like a rally where we will all be camped together. I bought a RV Forum flag at the Quartzsite rally so you will be able to find us. We will also post what site we are in when we get set up. I am sure we will be spread out through the campground, but that should be fine.
2018 Tiffin 37PA

UTTransplant

• ---
  • Cedar Falls, Iowa
« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2018, 09:54:56 AM »
Latest updated attendee status:
Larry and Mary Ann N.        Larry N.             Westminster, CO                      Maybe
Wendy and Mike                  Wendy.                                                           Maybe
Steve and Dee                    Steve N Dee.       Burbank, CA                          Maybe
Caryl and Bob                     Cadee2c             Fulltimers somewhere             Probable
Burnetta and Dwight            InVogue             Ventura, CA                           Probable
Bill and friend                      photog                                                           Maybe
John and Susan Beard          John Beard         NW Las Vegas, NV                 Maybe
2018 Tiffin 37PA

Lou Schneider

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2018, 02:15:46 PM »
FWIW, Sunset Campground was the original landing strip for Furnace Creek Ranch.  If you bring up the Google Maps satellite view, you can still see the outline of the runway.

https://www.google.com/maps/@36.4604551,-116.8645158,1169m/data=!3m1!1e3

The campground was newly opened when I was there with my family in the 1960s and camping was restricted to the runway itself, extending from the north overflow area through the east side of the present campground to the south overflow area.  Restrooms were provided by portable trailers in the center section.

Since then they've expanded the campground towards Furnace Creek Ranch (at the time you had to cross barren ground to get from the campground to Furnace Creek) and made the remaining parts of the runway into overflow areas.

If you pan west and look at the new airport, you can see like the Sunset Campground runway, it was originally built to handle large aircraft, probably as a WWII emergency landing strip, then shrunk to it's present small aircraft configuration.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2018, 03:09:58 PM by Lou Schneider »

UTTransplant

• ---
  • Cedar Falls, Iowa
« Reply #23 on: March 12, 2018, 03:28:20 PM »
Lou, thanks for that link. Fascinating. I always noticed the overflow areas were linear, and now I see they are part of the old runway. Also interesting that the orientation of the two runways are different.
2018 Tiffin 37PA

ArdraF

• ---
« Reply #24 on: March 12, 2018, 03:48:49 PM »
That satellite view is interesting, Lou.  I never realized there was a runway there!  Interesting background on it.

ArdraF
ArdraF
:D :D

Larry N.

• ---
  • Westminster, CO
« Reply #25 on: March 12, 2018, 06:14:59 PM »
Also interesting that the orientation of the two runways are different.

Runway orientations (or headings) are different by design, to allow landing when the wind is strong and not from a direction favorable for the primary runway, since aircraft normally land into the wind and the amount of crosswind they can handle is limited.
Larry and Mary Ann N.
2016 Newmar Ventana 3709 -ISB6.7 XT 360HP
2015 Wrangler Sahara Unlimited toad
Formerly: Trailmanor 2720SL, Bounder, Beaver
  de N8GGG

UTTransplant

• ---
  • Cedar Falls, Iowa
« Reply #26 on: March 12, 2018, 06:29:44 PM »
Runway orientations (or headings) are different by design, to allow landing when the wind is strong and not from a direction favorable for the primary runway, since aircraft normally land into the wind and the amount of crosswind they can handle is limited.
Understood. I am not a pilot, but I worked as an engineer for a major aerospace company in their displays and flight management system groups, among other areas. I would have thought both runways, the old one and the new one, would have been oriented in the same direction since I assume the winds havenít changed. Maybe they oriented based on a compromise with terrain?
2018 Tiffin 37PA

Lou Schneider

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #27 on: March 12, 2018, 06:35:02 PM »
That would be my guess.

InVogue

• ---
« Reply #28 on: March 12, 2018, 07:27:17 PM »
OK...Good info! I kinda figured we all would be in different area's and such but I guess I thought it was harder to get into Sunset, so that's good news too. I suppose I'll get there early just the same and maybe spend a few days in Pahrump before heading to Sunset. Thanks again for all the info. :-)
96 Vogue Prima Vista

Wendy

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #29 on: March 12, 2018, 11:10:36 PM »
We almost always stop in Pahrump a couple of days before going into Death Valley and after leaving to do laundry, clean the dust out of the coach and buy groceries. Oh, and gas up, fuel is EXPENSIVE in Death Valley.
Wendy, Mike, and Gordon
2015 Allegro Ooen Road