MH Tires.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hedhunter9

I just put some new Dayton tires on the front of our 2008 Thor Outlaw.
The old ones were 6 years old and had 15/32 of tread on them,(Firestones)  But I needed a spare
so bought 2 new ones and used one of the old ones for a spare..
These are 255/70/22.5 size.  Got them from our local Firestone dealer who matched
the best prices I could find on the net..  Daytons are made by Firestone.
$228 per tire..  Used the beads for balancing.. Will report back in a few weeks when we head
to Florida on how they work and how we like them....
  I had found some other tires a little cheaper online, but they were no-name tires never heard of, so was a
little leary of them..

Bob

Yes. I checked the date codes for the freshest they had. 
They told me they go thru a lot of that size and had just got a shipment in.
Couldnt find any year 18, but they had week 48/17 so about as good as I think
I would have found.

I waited as long as I could to get these, as we are leaving on a 7 week southern tour in 10 days.

Bob

2011 Itasca Sun Cruiser.  Is it true that these tires just disintegrate over time?  We were on a trip this summer, I checked the tires before we left and there were fine.  half way through the trip (about 1500 miles later) I stopped for gas and one of my front tires was basically disintegrated.  looked like my alignment was way off and the tread was badly worn or cupped..  ended up having to replace it on the road which was costly.  Rear tires appear fine...  do I need to replace them for age?

Motorhome tires generally are at the end of their life at 7 years, and trailer tires about 5 years.

7-10 years is the useful life of one of those big motorhome tires. Michelin recommends dismounting for a through check annually after year 5, but that may be as much corporate legal CYA as anything else.  I would not say they disintegrate, but they do age and lose pliability, which can lead to cracks in the tire body and weakening of the plies & belts.  I'm not talking surface cracks - those are largely cosmetic unless deep.  See https://www.michelinb2b.com/wps/b2bcontent/PDF/RV_Tires_Brochure.pdf for more info on surface cracks.

One factor is that a blow-out on a motorhome tire is almost sure to cause significant damage to the body or plumbing or wiring near that tire, so even if you make a safe stop, you may still face an expensive repair in addition to the tire and the trip disruption.  For that reason, many people replace their tires fairly early, around 7 years, even though they appear sound.  You will have to make your own risk assessment on that score.

Your description sounds like tire damage due to faulty alignment, not age related damage.

Back
Top Bottom