When is certification due for propane tanks.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rene T

Site Team
The CG I'm staying in just posted in their newsletter that the certification expires after 10 years. I believe it was 12 years at one time and was lowered to 10 years then I think it went back up to 12 years. Does anyone have a link which says what it is right now. If it is 12 years, I'd like to show it to them.

I just bought a new 20lb tank yesterday......the date of manufacture on it was January 15th, 2018.....so a little over a month ago.  It states on the paperwork that it has to be recertified in 10 years from the date of manufacture.

The regulations for DOT propane tank re-certification changed on January 23, 2017. It is now 10 years from date of manufacture.

http://www.lpgasmagazine.com/dot-cylinder-requalification-rule-to-impact-propane-marketers/

Be aware that any state could set a more restrictive time period within its borders. I don't know of any place in the USA that does that, but it is a possibility. And Canada has their own regs.

And at one time it was 12 for New Tanks and 10 for re-certified.

My suggestion.. at some point before your tanks hit 10, visit a Propane Store, not a hardware that sells propane, not a campground but the kind of place with a Big Tank Farm (Google Parker's Propane, Flint, MI for an example) like the example.. Many of them do tank certification and most of 'em are up on the law.

In the specific case of Parkers.. (NOTE this does not always hold) lowest cost propane in that area.

What do I mean by "not always the case"  The local "tank farm" is Heratige Propane in Seneca, SC. 2x the cost of the local hardware store.  What can I say.  For some reason I do not tank up there :).. So far this winter I've burned six gallons.

Gary RV_Wizard said:
The regulations for DOT propane tank re-certification changed on January 23, 2017. It is now 10 years from date of manufacture.

http://www.lpgasmagazine.com/dot-cylinder-requalification-rule-to-impact-propane-marketers/

Be aware that any state could set a more restrictive time period within its borders. I don't know of any place in the USA that does that, but it is a possibility. And Canada has their own regs.

I saw that but Dutch provided a link that says on March 17, 2017, it went back to 12 years. It is still under review the way I read it.

Rene T said:
It is still under review the way I read it.

It sounds to me as if it was 12 years and was changed to 10. Then after lobbying from the gas industry the DOT has agreed to stop enforcing the shorter time frame but it is still technically 10 years pending a rule change back to 12. So to your original question Rene, I think your CG may be correct.

Sun2Retire said:
It sounds to me as if it was 12 years and was changed to 10. Then after lobbying from the gas industry the DOT has agreed to stop enforcing the shorter time frame but it is still technically 10 years pending a rule change back to 12. So to your original question Rene, I think your CG may be correct.

I read it again Scott and yes you're right. It's still up in the air and waiting for the final correction which will change it back to 12 years. So the CG is right in enforcing the 10 year rule for now.

The way I read it, the 10 year rule is not being enforced pending review, and both 10 and 12 year recertifications are acceptable. Individual refillers may not be aware of that though, and are still enforcing the suspended 10 year rule. I would not try to re-educate them though, it's likely a losing situation.

I believe in Canada its 10 yrs, we were at Costco the other day andthe attendant refused to fill a guys tank because he couldnt read the date on it ( it looked like he had covered it up with fresh paint ) the customer was being a dick over it too, a new tank is less that $30 for a 20lb tank and i replaced 2 last year no big deal when you think of the cost

I know my local gas retailer is using the 12 year time period, but a more conservative legal interpretation is that rule is still 10 years.  The 10 year rule may not be actively enforced at the federal level, but it is still in effect.  A gas supplier could still get in trouble in a civil lawsuit if somebody was injured by an 11 year old bottle he refilled.  They probably would not get off the hook because FDOT might change some time in the future.

The Federal DOT is not the primary enforcement agency at the local retail level. That is usually left up to state and local code inspectors, who also employ any local standards that may apply.

Does the re certification apply to permanently mounted tanks in class A's and what about Large tanks for homes or businesses?

No, permanently mounted motorhome tanks are DOT certified and do not require recertification.  Same for permanently mounted ASME tanks used in homes and businesses.

It's the portable ASME cylinders used in towable RVs and portable BBQs that require periodic inspection and recertification.

Lou Schneider said:
No, permanently mounted motorhome tanks are DOT certified and do not require recertification.  Same for permanently mounted ASME tanks used in homes and businesses.

It's the portable ASME cylinders used in towable RVs and portable BBQs that require periodic inspection and recertification.

Thanks, that is a relief.

t's the portable ASME cylinders used in towable RVs and portable BBQs that require periodic inspection and recertification.

I think Lou got his fingers crossed. The portable LP bottles are DOT certified, while fixed tanks are ASME certified.  Only DOT portable LP bottles require periodic recertification.

Gary RV_Wizard said:
I think Lou got his fingers crossed. The portable LP bottles are DOT certified, while fixed tanks are ASME certified.  Only DOT portable LP bottles require periodic recertification.

Yep... Uncommonly for Lou, he did get it "bass ackwards"... ;D

NY_Dutch said:
Yep... Uncommonly for Lou, he did get it "bass ackwards"... ;D

Or, as a guy that I worked with years ago would say.....Verse-Visa!  I heard it so many times that now, many times that's the way I say it instead of Vice-Versa.

NY_Dutch said:
"DOT Halts 10-Year Cylinder Requalification Enforcement Pending Further Review"

I have found nothing further relative to the PHMSA review or implementation of the 10-ear rule change.

Here is a link to the actual DOT letter regarding the enforcement of the new 10 year rule cited in the NPGA.ORG article.

https://www.phmsa.dot.gov/sites/phmsa.dot.gov/files/docs/training/hazmat/28421/phmsanoticeregardingtherequalificationperiodfordotspecification.pdf

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom