rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Fridge Defend
RV Life Magazine RV Park Reviews RV Trip Wizard

Author Topic: Buying a used RV... heed this advice...  (Read 2028 times)

scottydl

• Admin assist
  • ---
  • Central IL
Re: Buying a used RV... heed this advice...
« Reply #30 on: March 11, 2018, 11:23:47 PM »
However, I had been searching off and on for 2 years. You can't find a bargain if you don't hunt them down and have a ton of patience.

^^ There is it.  ;)  The good, used rigs are out there, but it takes time, research, and patience.  Like MissMermaid, I bought both of my RV's without any formal inspections, but I had studied and learned about all things RV (mostly here on this forum) for a year+ on our first purchase, and many months on our second.  I had communicated with the seller(s) a ton before traveling to look & buy, and felt pretty confident about what I was getting.  Both of my purchases have worked out great.  But, I certainly support the idea of having pre-purchase inspections done by a 3rd party when time and circumstances allow.
Scott, wife, 3 boys... and the dog
- 2008 Forest River Wildwood 32BHDS
- 1995 Chevrolet Suburban C2500 tow vehicle
- 1994 Thor Residency motorhome... owned 2007-2012

_Rusty_

• ---
« Reply #31 on: March 13, 2018, 08:29:02 AM »
Well the closest inspector to us is Corning NY. (150+miles).  I sent a note asking if he was interested, no response yet.

I did get a very professional response from an inspector on the web-site above.  Unfortunately, the distance traveled and overall cost was prohibitive for my current situation.  We were able to get a better price on the RV because the seller was in a pinch to move and couldn't wait for the inspection process.  I hope we did the right thing, so far no worries!

I would think any kind of "long distance" purchase would certainly be worth having the inspection done by a reputable party as you would not be close enough to your local resources to find issues and solutions economically.
bill & ilean
2004 Tiffen Allegro Bay 37db
Workhorse 8.1/Allison 1000
Near Punxsutawney, PA
(for now)

Koodog

• ---
  • Another Day in Paradise - Lyons, CO
« Reply #32 on: March 14, 2018, 08:53:04 AM »
tried to add quote.....figured it out. See next post.
How does one delete a post?
« Last Edit: March 14, 2018, 09:06:13 AM by Koodog »
02 Rexhall 3550BSL
Triton V10 powered
2003 Jeep Liberty Toad
Walt & Terry Sanford

Koodog

• ---
  • Another Day in Paradise - Lyons, CO
« Reply #33 on: March 14, 2018, 08:53:50 AM »
They actually fixed most of them while he was there. The work they do is gursnteed. I would not want to buy from a private seller( no recourse, repairs or guarantees). I think what you really want to do is find a reputable dealer, they’re out there.

I actually prefer to buy from private parties. I've bought many this way.
My experience with used RV's on dealer lots has been basically a waste of time for me.
For me most of the guarantees and warranties aren't worth the paper they are written on.
I find it almost absurd that damaged items such as glass, trim, drawers that don't work, worn out tires are not fixed prior to a sale. (we will fix it of you buy it)
Usually prior owners make their coaches pristine to sell them.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2018, 09:02:11 AM by Koodog »
02 Rexhall 3550BSL
Triton V10 powered
2003 Jeep Liberty Toad
Walt & Terry Sanford