Is Camping World typically a poorly run operation?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hey Marty

Did you see how I really avoided saying anything negative about the owner of Camping World is this post ?....  ::)

I agree about the politics thing,  and I am trying.

TonyDtorch said:
Hey Marty

Did you see how I really avoided saying anything negative about the owner of Camping World is this post ?....  ::)

I agree about the politics thing,  and I am trying.

Hey Tony, yes I did, and thank you! I too have some VERY strong opinions about those issues. It kills me sometimes not to spew my views about all those issues. But for the good of the forum,  and the basic issue which is really RVing, I exercise restraint. But rest assured, IT AIN'T EASY. 

I appreciate your efforts, guys!  It's what makes this forum such a joy in which to participate ... or just read ... after the keys have been hung up as ours have.  We get enough of this political discourse on Facebook while trying to keep in touch with our families.  It's nice to stay connected to our Rving framilies without the political diatribe distraction. 

No it ain't easy...and the more beer I drink the less restraint I have.  ;)

It's the political swipes....(especially when you have a CEO using his company to spew hatred and disrespect about our president.) But I will restrain myself from even discussing that  ... ;)

As for shopping at the CW store... I don't think that is where people have all the problems,  I'll go there and pay CW's inflated prices if I need something right away.  Except for being badgered over and over about renewing a Good Sam membership,  the store service isn't bad.

From what I hear...it's always been the RV Sales and Service departments that are where people have problems.  (I believe that to be the franchised part of a CW location)

In their defense... 

Historically, in the service/repair related industries.. (especially automotive related), there is a higher likelihood of disputes with workmanship, service or charges. 

In the car world it's very common the hear people ask.. " Do you know a good place to get my car worked on ?" or a good place to buy a used car ?.  Even the factory dealerships are bad.  The skill level of a single serviceman often forms your viewpoint of the whole company,  a great repairman/shop often has a waiting list of customers.

As a former service shop owner I found that no matter how hard you try... there is always one customer that it will never be cheap enough, fast enough, or good enough for them.

I remember one lady accused me of changing spokes out with rusted ones in the wheels after I serviced her sons motorcycle, she said she would have noticed that detail before...  I looked at her husband to see if he'd save me..but I had to just walk away.

In the RV world, a company has to be good at home and automotive repair.  ...so a good place is almost twice as hard to find.

Hi Tony,

Have another beer!  ;D  I always appreciate it when things don't degrade into political discussions here. There has been enough of that lately and I have had reservations about remaining here. Just like RV'n, I just want to have fun here and share info or get info when needed.

We've had our RV now for 20 months and I know just about everything, (not)  ;D  I have had some negative experiences with CW and probably won't renew my good sams membership.

It's just not CW for poor service, no follow through etc. My wife and I discuss this topic often. I guess it's because we experience it often in all kinds of businesses. Our conclusion is it is a sign of the times. One reason, of course we are just guessing, that it seems like a lot of people are focused on a devise not much lager than a credit card and if they aren't holding a devise then their mind is focused on it. But I'm sure there are many reasons why we are where we are today. We are trying to have fun with today's trials and tribulations of service, but it can be challenging none the less. Our latest was when we bought a used certified vehicle. We played the game cheerfully until the finance guy made the second error in the out the door price agreed upon. Of course it was in their favor. My wife is very accurate and quick with numbers. She is small, quiet and unassuming. This is where it became fun for me. Not a second after the second error she was out of her chair and over the guys desk, I thought she was going to pop him up side the head. She never said a word just looked him dead in the eye and with in seconds he had the third contract with the right numbers. I was pretty cool to see the arrogant over confident guy shrink down about 3 inches in his chair. Oh but the story continues. When it came time for the first oil change after purchasing the new vehicle I could not remove the drain plug with out rounding the hex off of it. So I took it back to the dealer. Cut to the chase, I have a cute little video of the mechanic trying to break the drain plug lose with a two foot breaker bar. Needless to say but they had to replace the oil pan. It's not over yet. A few hours after I picked up the vehicle I get a call from the dealer, they think they left a light under the truck hooked to the frame. Indeed they certainly did. I now have 3 tools that were left on my vehicles from this same dealer. I bet they never forget their cell phones. It's to bad that is this the way many businesses are now, but I think it has created an opportunity for others. We have notice over the last several years that there are some businesses that are at the other end of that continuum. Maybe things are starting to turn around! Yea!

Good story Tom! That is a great example of being your own advocate. And about your wife. My wife did something similar when we were buying a truck some years back. We were in the painful process of "haggling" with the salesman, and he made the mistake of pulling out the old dusty routine of "I can't sell it for that, I have kids to feed!".  In a heart beat Diane jumped up and replied "I couldn't care less about your kids! This is the price or we are out of here!"

The look on his face was priceless. We wound up getting our price.  Salesmen are often a similar breed, and no "low" is too low to stoop to get their deal. 

I love your story Sarge, and we had a similar one when we bought our new Jeep last week. In our family, Kevin does the research and identifies the deals. Then I negotiate, something I did in my job too. Went to a dealer with an advertised internet price. He came back with a less than 5% off list. We showed him the other price, and he said ?Oh, that only applies to these conditions ...? I started to stand up and said ?I don?t play games. Either what you advertised or we leave.? Not surprisingly they caved. Kevin says my negotiating face is first rate LOL!

The thing that bugs me about Camping World is their almost universal 100% markup on what they sell.  At least as of a couple of years ago, employees got a 50% off on purchases, including major appliances and accessories.

I often thought about getting a job at CW just for the discount if I ever decided to build or remodel an RV.

CW is not ever on my list of sources for anything RV related anymore. Waaay overpriced, even online. Last time I was in a store, the employee's don't know where anything is... or have any knowledge of RV related merchandise.

I know that may very from store to store.. but it's just not worth the effort, and their on line pricing is ridiculous.. as compared. 

thank you all for input! I almost never buy from amazon or anywhere with out reading reviews, if no reviews I don't buy, and it usually works, so keep them coming, my experience has been also bad. bought a tailgater to pick up dish signals, never took out of box went to return 2 days later and was told that we cant return electronic items. called head their head quarters on Monday and got a refund. they need a training program or something.  just my 2 cents worth.  dabrown  ps keep the reviews coming.  thanks

The last time I was in a CW (although it has been a while) we had found an item we wanted in their on line catalog. We went to a store and retrieved the item and took it to the check out counter. The clerk rung it up and it was $5 higher than the catalog.  My wife stated "hey, that's not the right price!".  The clerk looked puzzled, and Diane flipped open the catalog laying on the counter. Sure enough the catalog listed the lower price. The clerk stated "oh, we can give it to you for that price then".  We haven't been back since.

Amazon is usually cheaper, faster, and has a better return policy. 

The only time I would buy from CW would be if I needed an item right now, and they were the only game in town. Fortunately, that hasn't happened in many years...

Molaker said:
I can understand your feelings on that store if all that happened there. However, I must put in a good word for them because everything they have done for me turned out excellent.  Mainly involved putting a base plate and tow bar on my toad and that got into removing about 2/3 of the front of the car.  But I checked it out later at home and they had done every instruction to a tee.  That ends my defense.  I no longer am a Good Sam member because their CEO told me my business was not needed.  But I went in yesterday to spend a $25 gift certificate I got from a family member for Christmas (they could care less about the CEO).  Not sure about other CW stores but the parking lot on this one was darn near inaccessible because of far too many RVs parked inside the fence area and they even had about 15 outside the fence.  You truly could only drive in one way and, if you didn't pick the right lane, had to back out.  A guy behind me  pulling a tent camper had that problem.  Anyway the only parking spot open was the handicap and since I qualify I took it.  Hardly got my left foot out of the door and some salesman is over 'greeting' me and asking how he can help.  Told him just going to get an item in the store and he went away.  Inside the store we were constantly approached by folks wanting to sell us resort memberships, or help us look at RV washing machines which we did not want.  The Strafford store is a lot different than my last visit.  Like the parking lot the store is packed plum full of merchandise and it has all been totally rearranged since my last visit.  Got my one item - about choked having to pay $49 plus tax for a water filter but that $25 gift certificate spent just fine.  Of course, I got the standard spiel for membership at the checkout plus was told I could save another $10 if I got a CW Visa Card - no thanks.

Soooooo that is my last visit to a CW unless it is an emergency.  Amazon (whose billionaire CEO is also a non-favorite of mine) offers better prices and service but as for actual service on the coach I need to rely on a local RV tech who charges $120 an hour for work I cannot do.  The end of our RV days is approaching and I am not so sure I won't be happy when it arrives.

Bill

Everybody has freewill. We can shop where and when we want to. It really doesn't matter why we choose or not choose a place of business. We all have to make up our own minds as to where we shop or don't shop and why. Like I said earlier, never been to CW and probably won't go. I don't go to Cabello's either. Don't go to Walmart much and try not to go to Home Depot (HD lied to me once). There's an RV dealership down the road we won't go to because they are jerks. We have choices. We do not have to patronize a business we don't like. To the OP. Your question "Is Camping World ypically a poorly run operation?" is a subjective question.

I have noticed that generally, CEO's have lost touch with the world us "regular folk" inhabit. Just an observation.

Back
Top Bottom