Is Camping World typically a poorly run operation?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Have not bought an RV from CW but do shop them for parts and pieces. I've got a Good Sam card because of the price discount and campsite discounts where they don't take AAA. Went to the store in St. Augustine last week to buy a chair. Price on tag was 99 on sale for 89. Was ok with the price and when it rang up it was 49. Asked the cashier if that was right and she said it was on sale. Made my day but wondered why it wasn't that price on the hang tag. Pleased with CW so far.

DearMissMermaid said:
One place where I needed a semi critical part, I ended up traveling to 5 different RV places and over 140 miles in assorted directions  trying to find the part. It was a 30 amp RV plug! I had no idea this wasn't a standard part at least at the RV shops I visited.

In case anyone else is in this dilemma, the 120 volt 30 amp RV plug only differs from the 240 volt 30 amp dryer plug by the shape of the ground pin.

Most 30 amp plugs sold in hardware stores come with both style ground pins, so you can buy the more common dryer plug, pull out the 240 volt ground pin and replace it with the 120 volt pin to make it into an RV 30 amp plug.

NY_Dutch said:
The only time I would buy from CW would be if I needed an item right now, and they were the only game in town. Fortunately, that hasn't happened in many years...

Well, after many years of not shopping at CW, a few days ago while we were at a state park near Tampa, FL, our LP only water heater's igniter module bit the big one. I was able to get us back in hot water quickly by borrowing the igniter board from our bedroom furnace, but with colder weather coming, we did want the furnace back in service quickly as well. A few phone calls found that both Lazy Days in Seffner, and CW a short distance away in Dover had the Dinosaur universal igniter in stock that I wanted. CW's catalog price was a little cheaper than Lazy Days' price. I will say that the person I spoke with at CW was very pleasant and helpful. When their inventory showed just one board in stock, he had me stay on the line while he physically went and verified it was really there. He then came back with it in hand, and said he would put my name on it for later pickup. When we got there a few hours later, it was just as he said, and the part was at the counter waiting for me. But, when I went to check out, the clerk scanned the box and the price came up at $113. I told her it came up at $97 on their website, and showed it to her on my phone. She said no problem she'd do a price match, and called a supervisor over for approval. Instead of just approving it, the supervisor did a little more digging and came up with a sale ad that was still in effect from a different store, and I was only charged $80. That was just a few dollars more than Amazon's price if I was willing to wait for it to ship. All in all, I was quite pleased with the experience...

Lou Schneider said:
Hey Dutch, I think I've heard this story before.  Look at Reply #57, on March 9.  ;D

Lou, he still stunned about the good service he got at CW.  :eek:  Might take a while to get back to normal.  ;D

NY_Dutch said:
Oops! I knew I had posted it before, but I was thinking it was on a different thread on a different forum.  :-[ ;D

I knew I'd read it before, but I, too, thought it was "across the street".  Or is that, "long ago in a forum far, far away"?

This would apply to most dealers I expect:

We were at the Raleigh NC show a few weeks back and one very unhappy Camping World customer was holding court in the aisle telling his experience at Camping World. He bought a used class C and took the word from the salesman that "everything works as it should". The customer took delivery and later discovered the rooftop A/C did not work. Camping World dug its heals in and said "no warranty".

I'll bet the customer is not a member of The RV Community Forum. They would have known better if they were a member.

NCSU Dad said:
This would apply to most dealers I expect:

We were at the Raleigh NC show a few weeks back and one very unhappy Camping World customer was holding court in the aisle telling his experience at Camping World. He bought a used class C and took the word from the salesman that "everything works as it should". The customer took delivery and later discovered the rooftop A/C did not work. Camping World dug its heals in and said "no warranty".

I'll bet the customer is not a member of The RV Community Forum. They would have known better if they were a member.

I have owned several RVs in my life and even worked part time selling the things but I never bought or sold one where each and every major item on the unit was not demonstrated to be working as advertised.  This proved especially valuable in the early days with the refrigerators that were very picky on being absolutely level or even at times had to be taken out and turned upside down.  As Mr Reagan said:  Trust but verify (before you buy)......lol

Bill

Back
Top Bottom