Is Camping World typically a poorly run operation?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ahhhhh, lets all, me included, take a deep breath and be thankful for the good things in our lives.

Happy camping, Tom

When people ask me about Camping World, I just tell them to type "Camping World Complaints" into Google. 

You wasted your time in the expectation that the salesman would prepare the coach for viewing which he didn't. If the corporate culture at CW encourages that behavior or if they just don't care then I would never go there again.

One way you could find out though is to write a letter outlining your experience to the management at both the CW site you visited with a copy to the salesman and to corporate headquarters. If you get no reply... then you'll know.

Camping World is bent on buying up competition and sometimes they buy up dealerships and then shut them down after the owner has signed a not to compete clause. They also offer to buy out many mobile RV repairmen if they sign a not to compete clause.

That being said, they sometimes buy a dealership and operate it under the old name if that name was well established. Go figure.

I personally have had nothing but bad luck with RV lots and salesman except for one place that sells used only,nothing new and they were the BEST. I am so sorry I didn't get to buy from them.

That is
http://www.portersrvsales.com/

They are located in SC and if you ever get the chance to visit there, spend the whole day there. Matter of fact, on one of my morning visits, I was in my Class C and made lunch in it, then returned to shopping and looking. I had a friend with me too and we had a blast and learned tons about RV's what we liked, what we didn't, what was a must-have what was optional and so on. One of my friends has bought from them 3 times.

Their website is not good at all, but going there is person is awesome!  They seem to have a lot more RV's than their website can keep up with.

What I loved about their place:

First of all, the rigs are ALL UNLOCKED! You don't have to wait 30 minutes each time for some salesman to go hunt down keys. I've been to lots like that and it was frustrating!

Second of all, the salesman does NOT go with you. You have to shop on your own! So you can seriously look a rig over and not listen to the salesman try to constantly push you into spending more than your proposed budget.

They give you a print out of their entire inventory and price list. You can walk around or use a complimentary golf cart and go see as many rigs as you desire.

If you have questions and or want to buy one, at that point the salesman will deal with you. They have a service shop that is not open to the public, they use it to put their used rigs in working condition and I know of others that bought there and negotiated some upgrades or repairs as part of the deal.

I wish all dealers would take lessons from them.

It was refreshing to be able to walk in and see lots and lots of rigs and know instantly what the price, year, length etc. was without playing a guessing game with a salesman.

Over the years I've seen their business grow, they had to move to larger space and so on. They must be doing something right.

I was planning a trip to go see them again but I stumbled into this 5th wheel distress sale locally and well, binga-banga-boom, I bought it.

We've only been in 4 CW's. Finding an employee that has knowledge of their products met with NO success. I like to be able to physically look at a product to see if it is of enough quality to purchase, then go home and order on Amazon.
In one of the 4 stores two employees, male and a female, were screaming at each other across the room. Verrrrry uncomfortable atmosphere and people were leaving fast.

I like to be able to physically look at a product to see if it is of enough quality to purchase, then go home and order on Amazon.

Not defending CW, but that's why physical stores are carrying less and less stuff, other than what they can sell in massive amounts -- many folks doing this. And it's not just RVing stuff, either.

Larry N. said:
Not defending CW, but that's why physical stores are carrying less and less stuff, other than what they can sell in massive amounts -- many folks doing this. And it's not just RVing stuff, either.

I think we spent about $3 grand in the last week and haven't left the house.

I'm not a CW fan, but ...

[quote author=BRex]We've only been in 4 CW's. .... I like to be able to physically look at a product to see if it is of enough quality to purchase, then go home and order on Amazon.[/quote]

This is why our stick & brick/big box stores are closing. I do my best to support local businesses. Price aside, using them to kick tires, then order online is not IMO good practice. How will you kick tires when all the S&B stores are gone?

Tom said:
I'm not a CW fan, but ...

This is why our stick & brick/big box stores are closing. I do my best to support local businesses. Price aside, using them to kick tires, then order online is not IMO good practice. How will you kick tires when all the S&B stores are gone?

X100

A couple of years ago I tried to buy a banjo from my favorite musical instrument store. They offer to match the lowest advertised price, and give our band a 10% discount off this. Unfortunately, they couldn't get delivery from the manufacturer, although amazon had a couple in stock. Eventually, the store owner told me that I'd been more than patient, and that I should buy online. This is an example of why this store gets all the business from our 70-strong uke band.

Larry N. said:

When local stores prices are 100-150% higher for items I am looking for, such as at Ace Hardware or NAPA, yes I use the internet. And yes you were defending CW, just in a roundabout way.

I am too conservative to approve.

BRex said:
When local stores prices are 100-150% higher for items I am looking for, such as at Ace Hardware or NAPA, yes I use the internet. And yes you were defending CW, just in a roundabout way.

I am too conservative to approve.

Not CW, but pretty much all physical stores. And I wasn't saying there's anything wrong with shopping online, just that it seems dishonest to use the physical store as a display, with all the expense they have to maintain that "showplace" then to buy from folks who don't have those extra costs. Just buy online and take your chances, which you'll soon have to do anyway. I do look at the local store to see quality, etc. but I also buy there for those items. There are all too many things I can't find locally any more, so I have no choice but to get a lot of stuff online and hope it's really what I want.

I've been in probably 15 Camping World stores from coast to coast and never had a problem.

I think it's well run. Good products and a large variety of things you can't get anywhere else in most areas.

The employees have always been nice and were knowledgeable.

We frequent the one in Fresno California  a couple times a year and always get good service. A friend of mine bought a fifth wheel from them last year and is happy with his experience.

What I like about America is you have the ability to open a business anywhere you want. So if you believe you can do a better job than Camping World I'd suggest jumping on the chance to outdo them. You could make a fortune.

My frustration story about retail sales and cheap people  :mad: :mad: :mad:

When I used to sell helmets and parts at my motorcycle shop everyone would come in waste a 1/2 hour of my life showing them all the different sizes, styles and colors or helmets and them trying them on and looking in all the mirrors I bought ....and then they would go home and order one online.

Of coarse it's cheaper online,  Online sellers charge no sales tax and they don't pay for a city, or state license, they don't pay rent, phone, insurance and utilities for a shop, or the $800 a year in corporation fees.      How can any store compete with online sales ?

Sadly..... The days of all retail stores are numbered.    Look around...  "For Lease" signs are everywhere.

But,  Karma smiles now and then when I hear stories about people that waited the 3-5 business days for their disappointment to arrive.    8)

As much as I've tried to avoid CW stores, when I needed an ignitor board this morning, a CW and Lazy Days were the two closest RV parts sources. When I called CW to check if the Dinosaur board I preferred was in stock, the fellow that looked it up said, yes, the computer said they had just one on hand. He then asked me to hold on while he went and checked that it was actually there. After a few minutes, he came back and said he had it in hand, and he would set it aside with my name on it until I could pick it up later. When I got there, just as he said the correct part was sitting under the counter waiting for me. When I went to check out though, the price rang up as $113, so I mentioned that it was marked $97 online. She asked if I could pull it up on my phone so she could see the item number, so I did. She then had her supervisor come over to approve the price match, but the supervisor checked a couple of other things, and came up with an even lower $80 price from a previous sale ad that was still valid. That put the price within a few dollars of Amazon's price if I could have waited for it to ship in. Needless to say, I was quite appreciative of the extra effort to find the best deal, so I likely won't speak quite so harshly about them in the future.  ;)

Oh, and Lazy Days' price was higher than any of the CW prices...

Good post Dutch and it just goes to show that it is the people that make a business successful. When you have a company as large as CW you can't expect to find the type that you ran across every time but it does appear they are becoming less and less in number.  I am no grand supporter of CW but have not really had any bad experiences there.  Yes their prices are higher than most of the online places (and that includes the Good Sam prices) but if they have the product on hand at the time you need it, price may not be the major factor in the purchase.

But speaking of prices, I recently went to another RV store in our town and was amazed at how high their prices are and this is a family business that has been there for years.  For a long time they were the only show in town but CW moved in about 10 miles away so that must have put a dent in their parts business.  Folks should also be aware that once Amazon puts a sticks and bricks store anywhere in their state (and they are talking this for some products), they will start charging state sales tax on everything you purchase including online.  Some states have passed laws that make this legal now.  It has really become apparent in the past few years of the direct effect online sales are having on local retailers.  I have made a conscious effort to try and buy locally whenever possible.  I was becoming an online exclusive buyer and realized that I was just cutting my own (local retail) throat by doing that too much when the price difference was minimal.

No longer a Good Sam member but will admit that I am reconsidering it but not quite ready to make the jump again.  Still get my daily dose of Marcus mail though complete with ready made cards for Roadside Assistance.  Coach Net is just fine.

Bill

I factor in travel costs and time in searching for parts versus ordering online.

I don't find it cost effective to go to store to see their stuff then go home to order it online. If I am already at the store and they have what I need and the price seems somewhat reasonable, then I can take the plunge. But in the past 8 years I've typically lived in scattered rural campgrounds so I wasn't near major shopping. RV dealers and parts can be hit and miss in certain areas.

When I first started traveling in my RV with dog, I often stopped at CW and planned them in my routes as a rest stop. Typically I could walk my dog both outside and inside, very handy on a hot humid day. I could look over their parts and pick up what I needed. But the 3 tiered pricing left me confused and later on I discovered pricing was better online so I stopped going to their places.

One place where I needed a semi critical part, I ended up traveling to 5 different RV places and over 140 miles in assorted directions  trying to find the part. It was a 30 amp RV plug! I had no idea this wasn't a standard part at least at the RV shops I visited. I did finally pay a fortune to buy one at the last place I visited. He had only one in stock! I was new to RVing at the time. Since then I began looking online for parts as that frustrating day was an eye opener for tracking down parts.

I have mail ordered from Camping World, but it's a huge problem in that if they deliver to the campground, then they inundate the campground with a ton of advertising mail with my name on it. It takes several phone calls to them to stop this practice and the campground was seriously annoyed as they didn't provide mail service but didn't mind campers getting parts delivery but they grew to hate Camping World for their massive frequent junk mail outs.

In store versus online...
My biggest problem is I am so darn picky and often the online shopping will allow me to find the "just perfect" thing versus the store which may not carry all the varieties. Also online sites may offer up newfangled stuff that isn't in the stores but is rather handy. Many times the online info will be better than the info available in the store unless one can tear open the package for inspection.

What I don't understand is that with all the mail order opportunities for shopping, why traffic is perpetually congested?  ::)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Savysoaker
Back
Top Bottom