Rookie RV guy question.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nomadjc

So, I've Been surfing around on this forum for the last couple of hours...trying to pick up some tips..And, i have to admit that I've learned a lot in the last couple of hours. 

My wife and I are in the process of buying our first class C motor home.  We've both camped off and on throughout our lives, but never as the proprietor of the venue.  I was sure there would be a list of necessities to bring along, but even looking and resources and library above did not see a list of stuff that you just can't live without...i mean there is the obvious pots and pans and RV friendly toilette paper not to mention camp chairs and BBQ grill.  Tools..cable TV cable for hookups...but...does anyone have the location or the time to provide a good comprehensive list of stuff that is absolutely necessary.  We're hunting and pecking around Amazon to just get some ideas, but that quickly gets overwhelming. 

How do I plan to camp?  Basically some weekend trips with the possibility of a couple of longer trips during the season.  We live in NJ and are contemplating going to Disney and staying there either later this year or early next year, but first, we want to christen our new rig with a few more local venues. 

My wife plans the meals in advance so shops accordingly. We normally keep the condiments in the trailer all the time along with coffee and filters. Popcorn too along with movies for the grandkids (they'll watch the same ones over and over) and books for us. I normally carry a tarp or two, tools (hammer, rubber mallet, channel locks, sidecutters, duct tape, bolt/amp meter, screw drivers, hatchet, axe and some kind of saw). Newspapers to help start a fire along with a big bottle of hand sanitizer, not only to sanitize hands but makes a good fire starter. Charcoal chimney. Shovel and leaf rake. Plastic bags. Gloves, both work and disposable. Beer and something to drink it out of since state and NP usually don't allow alcohol (I use a coffee cup). There's more but i would have to go to the driveway and check my trailer and it's raining.

If you were to ask 10 people, you'd get 10 different lists.

When we first started out, we brought stuff from the house. Over time, we've acquired items that are used exclusively for the motorhome - dishes, cookware, small appliances, linen, etc.

The ongoing battle now is too much stuff! It's hard to go shopping without seeing something that would be great for the camper; we need to slow down and make sure it's something we really need and have room for. Occasionally, I'll pull everything out of the compartments and take a quick inventory. If I find things that we never use, they don't get put back.

You might go to our Library (above) and check out the "Newcomers need to know" section, which includes "Essential supplies for new RVers" and "Toolbox items" as well as a lot more. While Happy is right about "10 different people" these Library items can give you some ideas. Also, this has been discussed many times in the past, so if you do a search for "newcomers need" in the search box on the same line as the Library, not the "Search the entire forum" further up, then you'll get a lot of good info, too.

Everyone has their must have list, and they're all different. Start camping close to home, and make a list of things you must have and things nice to have. Make a run to Walmart to get stuff.

Pack light, such as use paper plates instead of dishes, that type of thing. Try to get things that can "multitask". KEEP YOUR RECEIPTS!! You'll find that a lot of things you really thought you needed will never get used. On your first trips or actually on all trips, have a notebook that you can write down things you need to get and ideas of improvements or even repairs to do. Really think about things that you are considering buying...."Do we really need that? AND where will we store it?"

If you really want an introduction to RVing,  find and watch "The Long,Long Trailer" with Lucy and Desi. Also, be sure to watch RV with Robin Williams.

Notepad, pen or pencil.

Check a map or phone app for the nearest Walmart and Dollar General.

As you find yourself wanting something, write it down.

Do a shopping run when the list gets to half a page, or you need groceries.

--------------

If you try to get it all up front, you just end up with stuff you will never use taking up space in your cupboards.

Thank you all for your responses.  Oldgator, especially your response is helpful.  As you stated, wife is more the household side and i work on the automotive side.  I guess i need to make myself a decent camper toolbox.  The hatchet was something that I hadn?t thought of or seen on other lists.  I can see where that would be helpful.

Also helpful, not to get everything up front as while the rig we bought has lots of storage, it is still VERY finite.  No need in having unneeded items. 

I did read the list in the library, and it was helpful, but just feels like some important stuff could be missing.  Having not been the camper owner, don?t really know though. 

There was another post about this recently, and someone had responded with a few links to some sites/blogs that had "stuff to bring" checklists.  You might want to see if you can find the post.  I think it was just a few days ago or so, but it could have been in a different section (such as "General"), but I don't remember for sure.

What to bring with you? This is an ongoing problem that you will never get ahead of.  Right now I'm a 1,000 miles from home and in need of a wood saw to do a temp fix to a  kitchen pullout counter.

wincom6 said:
What to bring with you? This is an ongoing problem that you will never get ahead of.  Right now I'm a 1,000 miles from home and in need of a wood saw to do a temp fix to a  kitchen pullout counter.

There will always be that one off situation that you wished you had the tool to fix.

I spent 8 years 24/7 in a Class C traveling.

Look for multi-use items and figure out WHERE you will store something before buying it. If you can't store it, then it's going to be in the way. Even if you plan to eat out all the time, plan room for some canned and boxed goods. You never know when you may get stuck and hungry.

If you plan to cook a lot, look for collapsible bowls and silicone items, they ride quietly and store easily.
My favorite cookware was chasing down the glass Visionware that works on stove top and in the microwave.

I found that Corelle dishes take up minimal room, ride quietly and are extremely difficult to break or chip, most of mine were bought 2nd hand so that I could end up with a nice assortment of sizes in plates and bowls without having to buy a set that came with stuff I didn't need.

Comfy mugs for hot liquids can also do double duty for cocktails, especially in camps that say no alcohol, pour it in your mug.

For the galley, I also assembled my own nesting pots and pans, colander, etc,  they don't seem to sell these as a set, but I was able to put together my own.

Silicone lids in assorted sizes are easy to store and ride quietly, you can toss out the noisy space hogging lids to the pots and pans. They also double duty as covers for other bowls or splatter shield in the microwave.

Figure out your garbage location! I found a space inside the cabinet to hold a round garbage can that can be fitted with  the endless supply of plastic shopping bags. I never had to buy garbage bags in 8 years and I hike to the dumpster in the camp daily or more to haul out the trash. If the park recycles, then I use a canvas shopping bag to hold those, then I have two things to carry, one is the recycles bag and other is the little trash bag. I didn't want to dedicate room for massive garbage, and the once or twice daily walk to the dump will do ya good.

Dirty clothes, most rigs don't offer up a space for these. I used a collapsible hamper that I kept in my shower stall. It was easy enough to remove it for showering, then put it back after the shower. I used a microfiber rag (or paper towel) to dry out the shower pan before storing it back in there.

Microfiber towels and cleaning cloths. These dry quickly.

As a female, I also enjoyed a jumbo towel sheet, the kind that you can wrap around your entire body from armpit to knee and tuck in. For public showers or coming out of your own shower, it does dual purpose as a temporary robe.

A big self draining patio mat, I used a 9x12 and learn to fold it properly in 3rds, then accordion style, so it will last years. If possible get one with a bag, easier to store. If you show up and your campsite is all dirt or sand or mud, the patio mat is awesome if you love the outdoors. Also on concrete it works well as then the camp chairs move easily. If you travel with a dog, mine loved the patio mat.

Since I was outdoors a lot, I traveled with a folding card table size, that folded in half again, this makes it easy to store and it was much more comfy to use than the picnic table. Since many camps came with a fire pit grill, I never traveled with a grill.

Don't buy identical outdoor chairs. Get 1-4 assorted different folding chairs if you love the outdoors.

I had a folding rocker, a folding lounge type chair with a high back, a folding directors chair, a collapsible chair that folded up tube length. It was nice to have the different choices of comfort. The zero gravity chairs take up a ton of room when folded up so think twice before buying that style.  The collapsible chair that folds up like a long tube with a baggy was handy to lug to the beach in my bicycle basket or to carry over if invited to visit somewhere like an outdoor  potluck. Instead of the space hogging zero gravity chair, consider a parachute style hammock. It takes up minuscule room when not in use and it's tons of fun when you are able to hang it up. I didn't travel with a frame, but my friend travels with a hammock frame that comes apart. I just used the adjustable tree straps and some rope. Some camps even came with hammock poles installed on the lot.

Take up bicycle riding, it's tons of fun and quite handy if you have a basket to carry things.

If your Class C has a ladder, then get the metal chair frame rack or 2 that hangs off the back ladder. I have used these to hold all sorts of things, especially when forced to pack up during the rain and stuff is soaking wet. Besides chairs, I've hauled leveling boards tied to them, a step ladder, a vertical bicycle and so on. Also travel with clothes pins and extra plastic coat hangers. You can hang up your towel or any wet clothes pinned to the clothes hanger then hang these off the chair rack hanging on the ladder in back. Triple duty item!

Convert to digital. I copied my CD's etc to MP3 files. I also had digital movies on a portable hard drive so if there was no TV reception and it was raining, I could watch a movie if I didn't feel like reading a book.

Many Class C's don't have shoe storage! In my case, I wear comfy Crocs for everything from hiking to biking to going out. A little soap and water makes them like new again. Try to figure out a multi-purpose shoe you can do everything in so you don't have a shoe storage problem. A compact waterproof windbreaker with hood is a must, takes up minimal room and keeps you dry when it rains.

Tools, I traveled with tools but I was fulltiming. For just camping, you need a small set, but only if you are handy. Things vibrate loose from driving and being able to put them back together is handy. I found that many repairs were from something working it's way loose.

I traveled with a Berkey water purifier, so that no matter where I camped, I had awesome tasting water for drinking and cooing. I never bought pre-packaged water. The Berkey takes up a lot less room than trying to pack away bottled water. Also the filters last years and are renewable with a bit of effort.

Everybody has their own ideas of what to take, these are just some ideas... based on my 8 years of Class C living.

When we go on long trips (15 times across the U.S under our belt) the DW cooks stuff ahead of time i.e., soups, pork roast, etc., and portions them out in Ziploc bags and freezes them.  When we're on the road, it makes meals quick and easy in the microwave oven.  Plus, Walmarts are everywhere for needed purchases.

MissMermaid mentioned shoes. You will be amazed how many times you are in and out of the RV. She mentioned Crocs. Great idea, for all that are staying in your RV. Doesn't have to be Crocs but any slip on shoe that is easy to clean. If you wear shoes with laces you are less likely to take them off at the door, especially kids.

Sounds like you've got a good plan already, camping locally at first to get a feel for things.  Just to give you an idea, though, I'll throw out the things we take with us.  Bear in mind that we have a Class A diesel with loads of storage underneath, so I don't have to be terribly selective.  Here's what comes to mind as I mentally walk around my RV and look in the compartments:

Outside storage (in no particular order):
-Tools:  I don't keep many tools in the RV all the time, other than a couple screwdrivers, crescent wrench, pliers and duct tape.  When we go on a trip, I just grab tools from my garage and stick them in.  Here's what I usually take:
--Basic tool box with box end wrenches, pliers, wire cutter/stripper, screwdrivers, vise grips, etc.
--Cordless drill with drill bit set and screw tips; I make sure it's fully charged and then don't bother taking the charger; no way I'm going to use it enough to run out of battery.
--Socket wrench set
--Hacksaw for PVC plumbing repair
--Multimeter
-An adequate number of folding lawn chairs
-Small charcoal grill and charcoal; I take "Matchlight" charcoal so I don't have to bother with lighter fluid, chimney, etc.
-Axe for splitting firewood into kindling
-Lighter for lighting charcoal or fire
-Extension cord
-Vinyl Tablecloth with clips to hold it to picnic table
-Small folding table
-Clothesline and clothespins
-Air compressor for adjusting air in tires (only on long trips); make sure tool box has a tire gauge
-Extra fuel filters and tools for changing, including a can of clean diesel fuel (it's a diesel thing, and you don't have to worry about it)

Inside:
-Plastic cups
-Coffee mugs
-Coffee maker
-Basic silverware
-Paper plates and plastic paper plate holders
-A couple plastic plates for warming things in the microwave
-A couple sharp knives for food prep
-Cutting board
-A couple small storage containers for leftovers; make sure they actually fit your fridge shelves
-Regular and slotted plastic serving spoons and spatulas
-Small colander for pasta
-Towels/dishcloths
-Dishsoap
-Dish drying mat
-Electric griddle for pancakes and bacon (often used outside)
-One frying pan and a pot or two
-Rubber drawer liner, both to line your drawers with and to stick between your pots and pans to keep from rattling while driving down the road
-Flashlights

Most of the things listed don't actually take up that much space.  I'm probably forgetting some things from the inside list, but that covers it pretty well.  If we're going somewhere with water, we also carry an inflatable kayak and associated gear (often used), as well as occasionally taking along fishing gear (rarely used).

Have fun and enjoy the journey!

Wow Mermaid and Jagnweiner.  Those are some great tips.  I was able to extract a few things from each of your lists that hasn?t been thought of by my wife and I.  With help from the forum users, we are slowly but surely coming up with our new list. We should be set when we?re ready to go.

I would also buy things that "live" in the RV so when you are ready to go, there is less to pack and organize.

I had a friend who came to hate her RV because she refused to buy anything for it. After each trip she unloaded everything including the pots and dishes and canned goods, even the salt and pepper to store at home. Then when she went on a trip she spent days reloading the rig and forgetting things. She quit going on weekend trips because the work of loading and unloading was too much. Finally she sold the rig because it was too much work using her system which for some reason she refused to consider changing.

For instance, go ahead and duplicate your favorite toiletries and stash those in the RV including hair and tooth brushes. Stash your favorite spices and condiments.

I installed a horizontal compression post/rod and flanges close to the ceiling of my shower, measured to hold plastic clothes hangers without them banging into the walls. When I couldn't hang wet things outside to dry, I pinned them to the clothe hangers and hung them in the shower to air dry. On my first trip I went out hiking with the dog. About 2-3 miles from the rig, a sudden rain storm hit. We arrived back at the RV soaking wet. That is when I discovered the park had no laundry facilities to dry the dripping wet clothes and I had no where to hang them up. That hanging rod was a lifesaver for 8 years. I could even hang up my bath towel pinned to a hanger so it was dry out being folded up for the towel rack or storage.

If you plan to use the park facilities for showers etc., keep extra cloth shopping bags around so you can stash your toiletries, towel and clothes in the bag to go to and from the showers.

Stock up your toilet paper, dish soap, sponges, cleaning supplies and a stash of laundry soap.

Flashlights and portable lights. Many are made now that are rechargeable on USB. If your rig doesn't have USB ports install some in the 12 volt or 110 outlet.

I agree about shoe laces. I haven't worn any lace up shoes since I was a teenager. I love to slip off my shoes before going inside, or just inside the door.

A rubber broom with extension handle. Being able to shorten the handle for storage is handy.  Yes rubber.  I had to mail order mine because I couldn't find one in stores. Rubber brooms look funny, but they sweep carpet, vinyl, wet leaves, dry leaves, concrete, dirt etc. They work inside and out. It picks up human and pet hair. Mine has a brush and a squeegee. If you spill something you can corral it with the squeegee. The rubber broom cleans and washes up like new again.

Vacuum cleaner. Many rigs are built with carpet and no where to store the vacuum cleaner. While you may not plan to housekeep while vacationing, at some point you have to clean the rig to have fun. I traveled with a small powerful hand held HEPA filter vac with attachments. Giving the upholstery a good vac will add years to the life of it as well as the carpet.

I used a washable bath mat at my inside entrance. Easy to shake out daily and toss in wash as needed.

On a final note, pest control. You need a stash of mosquito repellent and wasp spray. You would be surprised how many times I opened up an electrical post to discover a wasp nest! Also a tiny bottle of Terro ant killer. About once a year ants invade the inside, and Terro will remove them in about 24 hours.

I also kept my rig stocked with passive pest control. I had rat and mouse poison stashed under drawers and in weird places. If either one got in my rig they would rip open the poison and die. I had a drawer under my fridge and I had pulled out the drawer and put some poision in a ziplock baggie under the drawer. More than once I found out my poision had been chewed open even though I never saw the rodent dead or alive.

In addition I had bug bait feeders hiding in weird places, so if a bug came inside, he ate the bait and died. I did this for 8 years and never had a bug problem but I did occasionally find a dead bug or a dying bug.

A fly swatter or two.

I guess you can tell I camped out in nature often and nature likes to come inside when you least expect it.

Buy some eternabond roof repair tape. if you tear open the roof through mishap you can patch it and get on with life. I happened to have some brand new roof tape when a big tree branch took a nose dive through my roof over the kitchen at 3 am. It only left a tiny funnel shaped hole, but it was raining inside my rig as a result!

At daybreak I was able to get help from rangers then scramble up there, clean the mess and attach the roof tape in layers, filling in the divot and then covering it all with a larger piece of tape. Then I called my insurance company to file a claim and told them I had mitigated damages to prevent further damage inside the RV. About an hour later another storm hit with horrific rains. I was so lucky to have the roof repaired in time. Not a drop came inside again.

At the time I was camping in a remote location on an island at a beach that takes a year to get a 2 week reservation and I was on day two. While the rangers offered to refund my money in view of the emergency, I was able to tape up the roof and stay the entire 2 weeks. The insurance adjuster drove all the way out there a few days later. He was amazed I was still happily camping, refusing to abandon my beloved spot.

For 8 years I kept a pad of paper and pen hanging on a clip on the wall so I could always find it. I would keep ongoing lists of shopping, repairs and wish list items.

Just a small addendum to DearMissMermaid's mention of a bath mat for the entryway.  We picked up 4 or 5 of these from Ikea: 
http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/40211213/

They're really cheap at $8 each, and are invaluable to keep your floors clean, especially when it's wet/muddy outside.  We basically line the floor with them in front of kitchen area and also by the bed, in addition to one at the top of the entry stairs.  Keeps dirt off the floor, keeps feet warm and comfy, don't slide around (slightly tacky on the back) and are super easy to clean. 

FunSteak said:
Just a small addendum to DearMissMermaid's mention of a bath mat for the entryway.  We picked up 4 or 5 of these from Ikea: 
http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/40211213/

They're really cheap at $8 each, and are invaluable to keep your floors clean, especially when it's wet/muddy outside.  We basically line the floor with them in front of kitchen area and also by the bed, in addition to one at the top of the entry stairs.  Keeps dirt off the floor, keeps feet warm and comfy, don't slide around (slightly tacky on the back) and are super easy to clean.

Those are great, I have them in our house. When washed they come out of the machine almost dry!

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01JY9QAPQ/ref=asc_df_B01JY9QAPQ5386027/?tag=hyprod-20&creative=395033&creativeASIN=B01JY9QAPQ&linkCode=df0&hvadid=167152358566&hvpos=1o1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=7038091325071568300&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9007392&hvtargid=pla-312808058315
If you don't have a ladder this collapsible ladder weighs just 25lbs and extends 12.5'. It comes in very handy for cleaning off tree debris before packing to leave especially if you don't have slide toppers. I use it constantly throughout the season for checking my roof and general maintenance and waxing purposes.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7mark7
Back
Top Bottom