Newbie looking at at Class A. Good deal? 1996 Itasca Sunrise

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hello. I am brand new to motorhomes. Currently looking to upgrade from Forest River Mini toy hauler trailer to a motorhome. The unit I am going to look at is a 33 foot 1996 Winnebago Itasca Sunrise. The RV is has 87000 Miles an it and is powered by a GM 454 gasoline engine. I have been told the tires are good but of unknown age, and that it passed a safety inspection a year ago. The headliner is starting to come apart and sag. Is this a Winnebago thing of signs of roof leakage? I am told everything works and but the Grey water tank is missing.  The current owner said he would be willing to take it in for a fresh safety inspection. I have not looked at it in person yet, but I have someone who can go have a look for me. The asking price on this unit is only $5500 US. Pretty sure it's a divorce sale. Should I even consider this Motorhome? Or run away as fast and far as possible?

Unless the seller is prepared to pay you to take it, run. Seriously. The rig is worthless as described.

Tires of unknown age (they'll need replacing), headliner coming apart, and no grey tank? Wow! It wouldn't be worth my time. The price is a clue, too, but it's way too high for what you describe. Odds are very high that it's a money pit. What else is wrong that's not being disclosed? Wow!

Thanks for the advice, I do appreciate it even though it's not what I wanted to hear. Lol. The owner said the grey water tank fell off while driving. I have no problem doing work myself and buy a lot of fixer uppers, but never a motorhome. The last thing I want is a money pit. I think I will take your advice and just walk away. In the meantime I will hang around the forum and read up on RVs. I am in no rush. It's still the middle of winter where I live.

I am not going to say run away, but will say approach with caution, and if you buy it expect to at least put another $4,000-$5,000 into it if doing your own work.  Having said that run away if there are any roof leaks, even ones that look like small ones.

You won't know if you don't go look at it. We can't see it, and can't really make a correct observation on the coach. The headliner is probably like many other Winnebago products, the foam has deteriorated and should be removed. Don't know how the gray tank could have just fallen off driving down the road. But I'd look that over real good. The frame work holding the tank in may have rusted away. Tires and brakes may need replacing before you could even use it. Tires could cost a couple grand depending on what brand you buy.  If the coach was in good condition it may bring 8 or 9 grand depending on where it's located. Don't think it's worth what he is asking for it. Go look and make a list what all YOU think it needs to make YOU happy. Some of us don't need a 100,000 dollar coach to make us happy.

Thanks for all the advice. I think I am going to enjoy this website. You guys are awesome. I am going to have a friend go look at it for me, but I am not expecting good news. This thing is located 8 hours away from, but is the closest motorhome I can find right now. ( I live in a remote part of Canada). In the meantime I will keep looking around to see what's out there.

Back
Top Bottom