rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Fridge Defend
RV Life Magazine RV Park Reviews RV Trip Wizard

Author Topic: Just bought first RV and have a Question about Electric Hot Water Heater  (Read 825 times)

soonershooter

Hello everyone I am new owner of very lightly used 2016 Heartland Mallard M29. This is my first Travel Trailer and to say I am excited is an understatement. I have a newby question and please forgive me if it is silly BUT. I have hooked up at RV park and I am currently running Electric only on my hot water heater. It heats up and I get hot water but this is where my issue is. After a while the little light between my electric hot water heater switch and my LP hot water heater switch turns on. And from what I can gather the light is for notification the the LP didn't light pilot.  But I have not turned on gas nor have I turned on the switch. After taking shower (water is hot) the water does not re heat and I have to turn off the with for a few seconds and turn back on and the light goes off and the Electric will heat the water again. The light will stay off and hours later it is back on. Am I missing something? The light is the DSI FLT....It is an Atwood water heater...Any information would be highly appreciated. Thanks in advance and I look forward to learning from this forum...

John From Detroit

• ---
  • ^My New Home^
    • Diabetics Forum
Re: Just bought first RV and have a Question about Electric Hot Water Heater
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2018, 06:31:42 PM »
The Fault light can also indicate the water is TOO HOT, something like 180 degrees. This will open an Emergency Cut Out thermostat and light the fault light

Also a bad connection along the ECO circuit can false  This circuit INCLUDES the Gas Solenoid.
Nothing adds excitement like something that is none of your business
My Home is where I park it.

soonershooter

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2018, 06:38:43 PM »
Thanks for the information. Is there a way for me to check and possibly turn the temperature down? I would like to check that first and proceed by elimination of possible issues and work my way to nail down the issue

kdbgoat

• ---
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2018, 07:22:20 PM »
John, I think you got that one wrong. The light is for Direct Spark Ignition fault. To the OP, there should be two switches on your control panel that operates the water heater. One turns on the circuit for the electric element, and the other turns on the circuit for the propane operation. If you turn on the one for the propane and you don't have your propane bottles turned on, you would and should get the DSI flt light. That indicates there was no ignition of the propane burner. I'm also confused as to the fault light when only running on electric.
I know you believe you understand what you think I said,
But I am not sure you realize what you heard is not what I meant

2012 Redwood 36RL
2016 Leprechaun 319DS

Arch Hoagland

• ---
  • Clovis CA
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2018, 02:10:06 AM »
Have you ever tried to run it on just gas and not electric?  And, if so, did it work?
2004 Monaco La Palma 36 DBD
W22, 8.1 gas,  Allison 1000 Transmission
7.1 MPG over 90,000 miles

2000 Lexus RX300, 4020lb
U.S. Gear Braking System

soonershooter

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2018, 06:28:42 AM »
I haven't tried the Gas yet. I wii try it today and see what happens and update .. Thanks

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2018, 07:37:31 AM »
John is correct - Atwood calls that fault light the "Lockout Lamp" and it lights whenever the heater control board enters the "Lockout" state. There are two Lockout conditions identified in the Atwood manuals:
1. DSI Fault (no flame detected after gas ignition attempt
2. ECO tripped (tank overheating - exceeds 180 degrees))

All recent Atwood heaters use the same thermostat and ECO for both gas & electric, so an ECO-caused Lockout can occur in either gas or electric modes.

The thermostat is a fixed  temperature (140 F., not adjustable).  To work properly, it needs to be firmly against the tank wall. My first action would be to remove the thermostat (let the tank cool a bit first!) and reseat it and its wires. If that doesn't help, replace it.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2018, 07:39:37 AM by Gary RV_Wizard »
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck
Summers: Black Mountain, NC
Home: Ocala National Forest, FL

kdbgoat

• ---
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2018, 09:16:34 AM »
Thanks for the lesson (again) Gary. I didn't realize the fault light was also an indication of eco lock out. John- please accept my apologies.
I know you believe you understand what you think I said,
But I am not sure you realize what you heard is not what I meant

2012 Redwood 36RL
2016 Leprechaun 319DS

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2018, 04:34:38 PM »
You aren't the only one to be unaware of that. Atwood does a really crappy job of noting fault conditions in their manual. It's damned hard to find any operator information - their heater manual is more about installation CYA than user info.
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck
Summers: Black Mountain, NC
Home: Ocala National Forest, FL

soonershooter

I turned on the propane and ever since I did that I have not had the light come on. And I have not had any issues with the hot water. thanks everyone for you help...

John From Detroit

• ---
  • ^My New Home^
    • Diabetics Forum
Thanks for the lesson (again) Gary. I didn't realize the fault light was also an indication of eco lock out. John- please accept my apologies.

No Offense taken Goat... I figured it out the hard way myself.

The winterizing instructions (Which I read) say to "Disconnect the red wire" the only RED wire is between the ECO and the Solenoid.   When I forgot to re-connect FAULT LIGHT.  Reconneting fixed it,
Nothing adds excitement like something that is none of your business
My Home is where I park it.