Schwintek Rear Slide-Out

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gypsy Castaways

I have a 2016 Jayco Greyhawk 29ME and we are currently in the Pacific Northwest. The temperatures have dropped below freezing and I tried to bring the rear slide-out in to reduce the high wind from buffeting the awning, keep the extension from collecting snow, and to get a better seal from the cold with the slide-out in the travel mode. What I found out is that the slide motor won't engage (no power) when the temperature is 36 degrees Fahrenheit or less. I checked the fuse and did a voltage check and everything was good ........ it just wouldn't power up. When the temperature returned to 37 degrees, I was able to rotate the slide in and out. With the temperature rising and falling, I have been able to test it a few times and it always reacts the same.

My question is: Did Schwintek provide a low temperature cutout to protect the slide motor, gears, and seals during freezing temperatures? If they did, good on them!!!

I figured out how to keep from having this problem again ........ head to the lower latitudes during the winter!  8)

I have never heard of a low temp cut out on a Schwintek slide motor.  I do know that they are just 12 volt high torque motors, and without enough voltage they won't run. I would check the condition of your batteries, as really cold weather can cause them to struggle if they are a little weak. Try to put a volt meter on them when it's cold out and someone is trying to operate the slide mechanism. 

When stuff like that happens, I just don't test it again :)  Especially if it says LCI on it, and double especially if it says Schwintek :)

SargeW said:
I have never heard of a low temp cut out on a Schwintek slide motor.  I do know that they are just 12 volt high torque motors, and without enough voltage they won't run. I would check the condition of your batteries, as really cold weather can cause them to struggle if they are a little weak. Try to put a volt meter on them when it's cold out and someone is trying to operate the slide mechanism.

Thanks SargeW! Your response was exactly what problem was with the Schwintek slide motors. A load test confirmed that the house battery is weak, which caused it to have low voltage with the propane furnace drawing from the battery and various 12V lights being on. Starting the coach engine and turning off the furnace and other 12V draws allowed the voltage to come up and the slide worked fine.

Thanks

Another reason to always run the engine when using the slides, when voltage goes down, amperage goes up, to a point of burning the small motors up of which there are many.>>>Dan

That doesn't work in all motorhomes. Mine won't move if my engine is running. They will if generator is running though.

Gypsy Castaways said:
Thanks SargeW! Your response was exactly what problem was with the Schwintek slide motors. A load test confirmed that the house battery is weak, which caused it to have low voltage with the propane furnace drawing from the battery and various 12V lights being on. Starting the coach engine and turning off the furnace and other 12V draws allowed the voltage to come up and the slide worked fine.

Thanks

Glad you got it worked out! Much better than hauling it to a RV shop and paying someone else to figure it out.

Back
Top Bottom