Picking up my Used RV tomorrow from a dealership-what to look for ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Humanaquarian

Picking up my 2011 Coachmen 220 LE And I am a total newbie to this so I am wanting to ask some questions about what to look for ...should I trust the dealerships mechanic when they have a checklist and you know things that I should know before I buy it. Also what should I ask to throw in or what not,  thanks!

Humanaquarian said:
...should I trust the dealerships mechanic when they have a checklist

No you should not trust them. The dealer has one goal: get you out the door.

It's short notice, but I would quickly shop for a professional inspector unaffiliated with the dealer that could accompany you for a PDI (pre delivery inspection), and have him/her go with you to inspect the unit before you leave the lot. Might cost you a couple hundred or so but well worth the money. If the dealer has a problem with this walk away.

Never trust a salesman that "everything is OK".  Here is an example of an article in the library of a list you should take and refer to during your PDI (pre-delivery inspection).

http://www.rvforum.net/joomla/index.php/15-checklists/58-buying-a-used-motorhome

And don't be dissuaded from your checklist. And also don't buy the line "we will fix everything after the all the paperwork is done".  All of your items need to be addressed BEFORE signing anything. That is the only leverage you will ever have.

Thanks for the reply...where would one find someone like that?
Also it?s not the salesman, it?s their service tech that I spoke with. All the salesmen were out at a show.

Humanaquarian said:
where would one find someone like that?
Also it?s not the salesman, it?s their service tech that I spoke with. All the salesmen were out at a show.

You could start here but a basic Google search would probably find someone.

Re the service tech, I'm not saying he's necessarily a liar, but he definitely doesn't have your best interests in mind. Service answers to management, and management wants the rig out the door. You really need to look at the process as-if you were buying a very expensive car at a somewhat shady used car lot.

I realize from your other posts that you're excited and already have a trip planned. But I urge you to be ready to not accept the unit and cancel your trip if necessary. As SargeW says, The only leverage you will ever have is before you sign the paperwork. After that you own it, warts and all.

Humanaquarian said:
Thanks for the reply...where would one find someone like that?

They all work for the same boss.

Don't know where you are but I would start by calling one of the local campgrounds and ask if there is a mobile rv tech who can do a PDI or google search for mobile rv service.

Thanks, I am mechanically inclined BUT new to RV?s the motor and such I can verify , just need to get a service guy out to look at and explain the systems inside. You?ve all been very helpful and I?ll keep you posted. The unit is clean, almost too clean! The price is great- almost too great. Perhaps it is what it is, but like a few of you said,? this is the only time for leverage?...I?m definitely doing a pre check on all systems before I sign!

One more thing - TAKE A VIDEO CAMERA WITH YOU AND USE IT.

If you don't notice something when walking through it and find it later in the video it might give you leverage.
At the very least it will help you remember how to do something that you didn't know before.

I have gone back over the video I made a few times and it helped me out.

For help inspecting the unit you might try finding a mobile mechanic that will accompany you. Check with campgrounds in your area and RV clubs to find referrals.

Oops, just noticed the date on your OP. Did you buy the unit?

I just posted a new thread about this... we?re buying, but definitely glad we got it inspected and waited.

Back
Top Bottom